“BEWARE!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Provincetown
Bayshore/Chandler House
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This was my second time staying at BAyshore in Provincetown. Last year we stayed in number 11 which was great. This year we stayed in #3, garden level condo. First of all this unit has a very musty, mildew odor. But the worst part is that when you want to sleep at night the bed and sheets always feel wet! EWW nasty! Anyway we didnt want it to spoil our stay so we made the best of it. We decided to stay one extra night and were transferred to unit #5 which was alot smaller but no mildew smell and the sheets were dry. THe young girl that works in the office barely spoke english and was very rude. THe Worst part of the whole stay at Bayshore was that they charged our credit card $150, claiming that our dog peed in the room. This is a Blatant lie and couldnt be further from the truth. We left the room in perfect condition. It is in very bad taste and poor bussines sense to do something like this to your guest. To make matters worse no one even contacted us to let us know they would be hitting our credit card with an additional $150. Its really a shame! I would steer clear of BAyshore unless you like being robbed. BEWARE!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank kevonya

Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed at Bayshore in May 2013, which was pre-season still. The draw for us was i) pet-friendly: every room is pet friendly and has direct outdoor access and ii) ocean view. Both were up to par, it looked like all the guests had pets and the yard and the beach were super convenient. The walk downtown was as expected, a mile or so, but there are 2 local convenience stores within a two blocks. Parking was as promised, one space across the street. Don't expect to tuck another car anywhere close, there was very limited street parking. Overall, hits: pet friendly, beach access and view, parking, reasonable price, very clean. Misses: No online reservations (phone only), small TV in living room (none in bedroom), unit layout was a bit awkward - had the feel of a converted unit rather than one designed as a rental (for example the bathroom is so small you can't open or close the door if you're on the toilet, your knees are in the way), and the big miss - smelly. I'm a pet owner and pet lover but the smell when you enter the unit was a bummer. I can only think the smell came from the carpet; it was a stale and overpowering smell in an otherwise immaculately clean unit. I don't think it was a converted smokers' room smell, but it was something...that accounts almost wholly for my "3" rating. Given the value-price, and all the positives, I'd try staying at Bayshore again, but definitely not in a unit with carpet. I was in unit 12.

Room Tip: We had a carpeted room, which was smelly. Try a room with hard wood floors.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank CXLBoston
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I came to Provincetown to take a course at the Fine Arts Center and decided to make it a family vacation. I could easily walk to class and town. We cooked in a lot of nights, the kitchen had everything we needed. The studio was comfortable for a family of three. We really enjoyed our stay here. It is ina quiet part of town which we appreciated.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank chickpea3
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Everything's good on paper, right? Planning a trip to have a water view, a private deck... all seemed just lovely in the planning process.

Then came reality.

I stayed in #4 with my Great Pyrenees dog and though the unit was clean and comfortable, it wasn't the best experience for my dog. Let me say quickly though that I would absolutely stay there again but I wouldn't bring my dog.

The location is great -- easy walking distance to the main pier and shops.

The parking? Off street. Tight, but doable.

What staff I did encounter were friendly but I never actually met anyone to check-in or check-out with... kind of nice but kind of weird.

I did walk over to see the other building, Bayshore; it was really funky looking, in a good way. More units so more noise but they had a great lawn in the middle of the facility, really nice landscaping. The place totally looked like something out of the '60s -- all glass fronted rooms overlooking the center garden/lawn.

So, what with the dog?

Several units within the complex were accessed by passing along the side of Unit #4. Every time my dog would see someone passing by, she'd react with barking -- which I quickly stopped so as not to disturb the other guests. While on the private little deck, again, if people were around, even on the common deck area overlooking the water, if your dog is reactive at all, then there might be barking. There was one or two units above #4 and their staircase access was right beside our deck, so again...reaction from the dog.

In order to make sure it wasn't excessively stressful for the dog or other guests, I ended up closing the blinds. So much for the ocean view for me. At night, I put the dog's large crate in the bedroom (just fit) and luckily there was an a/c unit in the bedroom window so we were able to sleep in there with the door closed so the dog wouldn't react to anyone walking about at night.

Again, I would stay with the Bayshore/Chandler company again, but I wouldn't bring a dog, at least not one that's reactive in anyway or nervous.

That's not just for Chandler... it's actually for all of Provincetown. I had tried to pick a week when there would be no festival hoping there would be slightly less people. There was still a CRUSH of people every night.

Though it's considered one of the top dog-friendly towns... it's actually not dog-friendly from the dog's point of view. There really is no safe walking--no sidewalks except for one side of the main street walking to the pier. The beaches aren't that great -- rocky or scattered with shell/seaweed debris that makes for uncomfortable walking, even in water shoes. I did check out the dog park. It was lovely, but only good for a short visit. I finally ended up hiking in the trails along the highway but had to be very, very careful because you could seriously get lost in there because there are so many trail intersections.

Glad I went because I learned a lot about my dog on that holiday. But because of her reactions it was stressful for both me and the dog and not the restful holiday I was hoping for and again, NO reflection on Chandler for that.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MC E
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We just returned from a 3 night 4 day stay at Chandler House. We stayed in Unit #4 on the lower level. Loved having the private little deck our dogs could just hang out on, and the access to the beach at low tide wasn't too bad at all. The owners of the 2nd floor unit were there at the same time and they gave us the skinny on walking the dogs down the street to the Church and accessing the beach from their parking lot at high tide. There wasn't as much beach, but the sunrise was spectacular. The dogs loved romping on the beach morning, noon and night; loved the Bark Park and all the local beaches we took them to. When they say P-town is dog friendly, they aren't kidding. This unit was fully equipped with everything we needed to feel right at home. We will definitely return so our dogs can enjoy their vacation as much as we did :)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Murry_Ozzy
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We stayed at Bayshore #12 for 10 days at the end of June and had a wonderful experience. Excellent location - within easy walking distance of coffee shops, restaurants (the Mews is 5 min away! :), art galleries, centre of town (for shopping and shows), but is still fairly quiet. Our unit had an ok view (we booked in March; I suspect people book a year in advance). Our bedroom window faced the street (living room faced the water), so in the 95 degree weather (with no A/C), we had to choose between early morning traffic noise waking us up, or closed windows with fans at full blast and sleeping in (I think #12 is the only unit without A/C). 12 is over the laundry room so there's some vibrating when the washers are going (which is most of the day, as the staff are always working hard). Furnishings are very clean, tidy, and fairly pleasant. There's a nice large common deck area for 11 and 12. Sitting right in front of 12, at our table was ok, but busy (everyone accessing 9, 10, 11 has to pass by to gain access or go upstairs) and it can be a bit noisy if the folks in #10 are talking loudly or partying on their deck, right overhead.

Our unit had the slightest tiny whiff of mustiness, probably due it being carpeted, but it wasn't always noticeable (to my over-sensitive nose). The bedroom was compact, containing a queen bed, a single bed, and good closet and dresser space for clothes. Bed linens are bit plastic-y/utilitarian and so were hot for sleeping but the bed/pillows were comfortable. The bathroom was small, but spotlessly clean. I was puzzled that, in a place with water shortages, there weren't low-flow toilets and water-saving (hence $ saving) devices. Perhaps some guests demand new towels every day (surely no one does that at home), but I was surprised to see no signs encouraging environmentally sustainable practices, given that most places now try to encourage some reuse of towels to avoid unnecessary laundering.

The Bayshore is excellent in terms of location, cleanliness, staff, and beautiful grounds (the sandy "beach" with umbrellas, lounge chairs, and the gardens/lawn are just wonderful). It also is reasonably priced and very well maintained. Everyone who runs the place, from the daily housekeeping staff to the management/reservation people, were super efficient, friendly, and accommodating. We loved being able to have our dog with us (we could hear a lot of non-stop barking, perhaps from non-Bayshore buildings nearby). All the neighbouring dogs we met were polite and friendly. In no way was the Bayshore over run with dogs - most were likely in their comfortable air conditioned rooms ;) One challenge was finding dog pee spots, as that's not permitted on the Bayshore's lovely lawn. Our dog got used to going in the parking lot area across the road, suggested by management. The parking is indeed a challenge. We fit our non-SUV (i.e., normal sized car) into a spot, but had to squeeze against a fence (risking scratches and making one door inaccessible). Several other large vehicles had parked very poorly, rendering other empty spots inaccessible. Parking in Ptown is a luxury though, so we were happy to have a spot. Once you arrive, you can leave your car parked and walk/bike to everything.

I would highly recommend the Bayshore. We liked it so much we booked our next visit. Kudos to all the people that own/run the place - it's a lovely spot.

Room Tip: Unless you're on the top floor, you hear the noise of sliding doors every time someone above ope...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank thegreenthinker
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed at the Chandler house penthouse with my partner and it could not have been more romantic--just short of prompting a marriage proposal (it's only been a few months so that might be rushing things a bit!). What I love most about the Chandler house penthouse is how simply and perfectly it's furnished: no chintz, no objets collecting dust, no ugly carpeting. Spacious and airy and comfortable. The view is absolutely spectacular--the entire Ptown bay--and the location is close enough to the center of town without being part of the Ptown circus. Also, the kitchen was decently furnished and large and clean. I only wish my partner and I could've stayed longer.
During the season, the Chandler house penthouse is a bit expensive, but compared with what you get in other places, I think it's worth it. I can't wait to go back...and maybe then I'll have the nerve....

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room facing the bay.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple