“clean please?!?!”

Surfside Hotel & Suites
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Provincetown
Reviewed 21 October 2009

Found this hotel via Priceline. The reviews and website made it look ok. Honestly it was freezing in Provincetown when we were there. The outside door didn't have any weather stripping, causing us to have to stuff towels in between the door and jam, and it rattled every time the wind blew. Luckly we were able to pull the covers from the other bed and use those and the extra blankets to keep warm. The curtains don't close which means anyone walking by can see through the thin sheers into your room at night and the room is, of course, extremely bright too early in the morning. Worst part of all was the left over food we found in the refrigerator - luckily in a sack so I didn't have to actually see what was in there when I tossed it - and the DIRTY washrags hanging on the top of the shower curtain bar. I wonder if they ever clean this hotel? I would have rather spent a few more bucks and stay somewhere closer to the middle of town and have a CLEAN room!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank seance

Reviewed 20 October 2009

We have stayed here at least 6 times in the last few years. We love the waterfront rooms. The continental breakfast is very good.Elaine is always smiling and she and her husband greet you each day at breakfast and ask how is your stay. We only wish this place was year round. We will be going back in the Spring.Can't wait!We especially love eating at Fanizzis Restaurant a few doors down . The food and service is great! Once again thank you for a wonderful stay- and we especially loved the Nor"easter!
Robyn and Dan

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2009

Surfside was an ok hotel. I was expecting something extra for the price. Still a nice location on the beach. Room was clean and had bathropes etc. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel had a pool witch was nice. What surpriced us was that the breakfast was included and didn't cost extra. A nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2009

This hotel is located right on the beach, and it has a great pool. It is pet friendly and you can take your dog to the beach. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I had a ocean front view which was great especially at night you could hear the bay all night long and had a great breeze. The room was decent but a bit small, the carpet was tacky and the linens were a bit old. The breakfast was limited, cereal, bagels, waffles, juice from a fountain, something they called eggs & sausages, and not much fruit. OMG, where do I begin about the eggs? they didnt look or taste like eggs, probably some kind of powdered concoction from a factory, and the sausages, lets put it this way, my dog wouldnt even eat it. So basically you are paying 4-5 star prices for a 2 star hotel. I would have liked a better selection for breakfast. SO overall, it was a good stay, but I wish someone would talk to the management and make some changes, as in a healthier breakfast with more options, and get rid of those carpets and change the linens.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I was happy yo see the place spruced up from our last stay, which featured dank carpeting and drafty sliding doors. However my happiness was short lived, after we grabbed a couple of rockers from the ground floor to use instead of the dollar- store plastic chairs in which to view the ocean so prominently advertised. After an hour or so, a fm came and informed me that those chairs were for 'special guests' and not to be moved. I was surprised that paying over 300 a night to stay in this decidedly third rate hotel simply didn't make me special enough for a wooden rocking chair. A parrot- like response of 'because that's the way it is' simply didn't satisfy me and will be looked into further.
The breakfast of cheerios and cornflakes can easily be skipped- much better fare in town-and this hotel is obviously of the mind that a good location on the beach is a good way to overcharge and give very little in return.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jacatro
Reviewed 28 April 2009

I can't tell you how fantastic the trip was. The accomodations were top notch, the staff was helpful and very courteous. This place is very safe and with a staff you can trust. Elaine, the general manager is right on top of things, eager to please and most of all genuinely interested ! She and her husband Dave, are true assets to this location. We had a waterfront room, spectacular views and tremendous complimentary breakfast. They had undergone some renovations during the winter and the place looked great. They aim to please and they definitely succeed. We rebooked for September and would never stay anyplace else ! WAY TO GO !!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2008

We booked the hotel for a birthday get-away. We got a special of buy one night get a second free so the price was right. At check-in the girl did not say one word to us other than giving us our room key and directions to the room. The room was right on the ocean with an absolute gorgeous view. We had a sliding glass door that opened onto a shared balcony that looked onto a beach and Provincetown Harbor. The room had newer carpet and smelled very clean. I was expecting much worse after reading some other reviews but was pleasantly surprised.
I started to unpack and opened the drawer of the bedside table. I was greeted by a **device** that another person had left behind. I was so disgusted! I went to the front desk and discreetly told the manager about this **device**. She apologized and said she would move us to a suite. She gave us the room key and we packed up our things to move. When we got to the "suite" it was not so sweet. It was an identical room to ours except with two robes. The carpet was much older and stained and the sliding door did not lock. So, we moved back. The manager removed the **device** from the drawer and cleaned it with bleach. She did not offer us anything else until we checked out. She gave a voucher for 15% off if we stay in 2009. I don't know that we will ever go back there.
The walls were very thin and we heard every little thing from the people above us and from either side of us.
Overall the room was adequate (coming from someone who always stays at very nice places). The view and location would be the only reasons we would consider staying there again.
Check your drawers and be prepared for something you never thought you would see! Ewww!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple