Beaconlight Guest House
  • Breakfast included
Masthead Resort(Provincetown)
Awol(Provincetown)
View Hotel
All reviewscommercial streetp townowners were friendlystayed one nightliving areaa great place to stayoff seasondefinitely stay here againkeith
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Beaconlight is very well located. It is near the center/west end of town near popular places like Joe Coffee House, the Boatslip, and some of the more popular bars.

The exterior of the building is very nice and well maintained. I didn't get a chance to utilize the outdoor spaces - it was still a bit chilly on my visit - but the common spaces were comfortable. The parlour was a bit grandmotherly, but in a well maintained and nostalgic sort of way. The kitchen was modern and had a nice large community table, coffee and beverages were available all day. The continental breakfast was good.

My room was very cozy with little "extra" room to spare, but comfortable. It had a queen bed, bureau, and love seat in it. There was a fridge nested into the closet. The bathroom was more generous in it's proportions, though could stand to be updated.

I was greeted by one of the owners who showed me around. However, it seemed that none of the other staff was as friendly - they all seemed to try to avoid eye contact which was a tiny bit unsettling.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay and would consider staying again if I were able to get a rate similar to what I secured for this trip.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank dansoleau
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The staff is very unfriendly and unaccommodating. I work in Provincetown from time to time and wanted to stay at the Beaconlight Guesthouse. It's listed on my employer's travel website (Johnson and Johnson). I booked through the site in March for a mid week night in early June (3 months in advance). I made a change in the date on the same day I booked the reservation and was charged a $50 fee to make that change. When I called to see if they could please waive the fee, since I was only making a change. They would not accommodate. I decided to cancel my reservation for a total of $100 fee. It was a well learned $100 lesson. They won't get my business or anyone else at J&J. I've notified our travel department and they have been removed. This is to warn others of this unfriendly business. There are plenty of other nice, friendly accommodations in P-town. Spend that $100 well, boys! :-(

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
8  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We've stayed in Provincetown several times before; but this was our first time at this property. First, the location off Commercial street is perfect..no need to use a car once you get there. Parking in Provincetown is always an issue so my advice to any one would be to leave the SUV home! The rooms were nicely appointed and the common rooms were very comfy, like a nicer version of your own home!! The owners happened to be away but their staff person Neil was wonderful. Very likable and friendly but not overly intrusive. The light continental breakfast each morning was delicious with healthy options like homemade granola and yogurt, as well as yummy sweetbreads and scones brought in by a local baker. I highly recommend this inn.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BostonVickie
Reviewed 4 November 2012

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon. He had booked us a room before reading the reviews here.

Parking is limited and was full when we got there, but it was off-season and we were able to find a spot about two minutes away. We were greeted in a friendly manner by one of the owners, who took us on a quick tour of the establishment. Most of the staff was friendly, the only exception noted below. The outside features a clothing-optional hot tub, but keep in mind that neighboring houses have a view of it. Robes and towels are provided free of charge for hot tub use. The deck on the second floor is nicely appointed with plants and seating areas and gets a nice breeze. The deck on the third floor is reached by stairs which are bouncy and parallel the pitch of the second floor roof. This deck is clothing optional, but the railing around the outside will not provide privacy. You'll get an outstanding view of Provincetown from here, but Provincetown will get an outstanding view of you, too. The kitchen is nicely appointed with a large table and (weak) coffee is available most of the day. The selection at the continental breakfast was actually very nice.

We agree with most reviewers in that Beaconlight is clean. Our second floor room was light and airy and was furnished nicely, although the love seat at the foot of the bed makes it feel crowded. The tip envelope mentioned by a previous reviewer was just that, nothing we haven't seen in any other establishment in the USA, so we were not insulted. Our bathroom was well-lit and generally clean, except for the mold growing around the lower edge of the shower door. The shower had poor water pressure. Bring your own shampoo and body wash unless you like eucalyptus. I thought I was going to attract every koala on the planet when I was done showering.

Regarding the skittish clean-freak owner (I call him Cleanzilla) mentioned in previous reviews, believe what you hear. We laughed to one another when we walked up the driveway upon arriving at the guest house and heard the vacuum cleaner running, at 5 PM. I went to the kitchen the following morning for coffee and got to see Cleanzilla perform. There was another couple there who were clearly intimidated by the owner's actions. You could feel that he was spying in when he was flying in and out of the kitchen, making believe he was looking in cabinets for something. He found a couple of crumbs on the counter and a spot of coffee on a plate underneath the coffee urn. He grabbed a dishcloth and scrubbed the counter, then replaced the plate with a clean one and scrubbed and put away the one that had been there. My husband got to see Cleanzilla the next morning. The coffee urn takes two pots of coffee to fill. Cleanzilla made the first pot, poured it in the urn, then proceeded to wash and DRY the pot. He then refilled the dried pot with tap water, made the second pot, and repeated the whole process. When I walked downstairs, he came flying into the piano room with a dishrag and cleaned an imaginary spot on the carpet where no one could possibly have walked. Just to have some fun, I moved the placemats on the kitchen table a bit as you could tell they were perfectly placed. For some further fun, we left the "do not disturb" sign on our room the whole time we were there, knowing it would drive him crazy as he wouldn't be able to clean the room. However, clean towels were left outside our door.

This place is PRICEY, especially considering that it was October. Our room was $175 per night, not including taxes. For what you're paying, you shouldn't need to feel unwelcome by Cleanzilla's obsessive-compulsive disorder. Clearly those who are clean freaks should not be in the hospitality business. We never saw him say hello or smile to anyone the entire time we were there. Because of Cleanzilla and the price, we can't recommend staying here, resulting in an "average" rating. No one likes to feel on edge when spending so much money.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another guest house
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Charlie A
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Stayed in this inn for 2 nights. Super clean, reasonably priced an within walking distance of all the good stuff on Commercial St. Breakfast was good, rooms were immaculate. Excellent water pressure in showers. One of the best Bnb I've stayed in.

• Stayed: October 2012