Beaconlight Guest House
  • Breakfast included
Masthead Resort(Provincetown)
Awol(Provincetown)
View Hotel
All reviewscommercial streetp townowners were friendlystayed one nightliving areaa great place to stayoff seasondefinitely stay here againkeith
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My fiance and I stayed at the Beaconlight for a very short weekend away and were very pleased! We stayed in the off season so it was great value for our money. We were switched rooms when we got in, and stayed at the Long Point instead of the Wood End. Never really explained why but we didnt mind. The owners were friendly and gave great recommendations. We loved the Crowne Point for dinner, and the Mews for drinks. A run on the breakwater is a must. Will absolutely come back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The good points
A beautiful property set in the ideal location. Clean, pristine with
some lovely touches. Beaconlight came highly recommeneded by friends
who had stayed there. One of the owners is charming and delightful.
Sadly, the same can not be said for the other who we found to be
astonishingly rude.

Bad points
This guesthouse promotes itself as being friendly and comfortable.
Sadly, our experince could not have been more different as we found
one owner to be deeply unpleasant. Actually going out of his way to
make guests feel uncomfortable.

We stayed several days and at first presumed the miserable one of the
owners with appalling attitude was just having a bad few days or just
didn't like us. On closer research of other reviews his awful
behavoiur appears to be fairly commonplace.

Our experince where he was unpleasant and rude included our first day
when it was pouring with rain. While the housekeepers cleaned our room
I sat very quietly on the kitchen bench (we were informed on arrival
the kitchen was open until 10pm).

I had not met him before and was shocked that he just came in didn't
introduce himself, greet me or even acknolweldge me. He just stomped
and crashed around me making it clear he didn't want me there. In the
end he muttered in an offhand manner that the cleaner would be coming
to do the kitchen soon. Not one to let this go unchallenged. I was
quick to reply that I was happy to go back to my room if the
housekeepers had finsihed.

Later that day we were using the hot tub on the rear terrace. Again it
was supposed to be open until 10pm. At 9.30pm Mr charmless emerged to
announce in his sour & off hand manner that he was locking the access door
and he even appeared disappointed we had our keys on us!

After a few days the situation was so bad it became slightly amusing.
Watching him rushing passed guests with laundry hissing at them to get
out of his way, where in most places the staff stand to one side to
allow their guests first. Not with him! and occasinally when guests
cornered him into a greeting he gave a begrudging smile or 'Hi'.

When guests would use the drinks station he rushed over to immediately
wipe it down, even though nothing was spilt.
The same fiasco took place at breakfast where his presence was like
the arrival of a dark black cloud of misery. As he amusingly hovered
over guests swiping their plates away. Wiping the dish cloth round
them as they ate their breakfast. It was amusing to watch other guests raising their eyebrows and smirking at each other.

I also witnessed him showing new arrivals around and was again so off
and completely uninterested.

On our last day we checked out and the owners kindly looked after our
bags for a few hours. When we returned to collect them ‘grumpy’ saw us
coming up the graden path and immediately scurried away. We rang the
door bell, for him to appear and open the door without saying a word.
Luckily, his lovely partner appeared who ( as always ) was delightful
as ever, giving us a warm send off.

I can only conclude this guy is definately in the wrong buisness with
his ‘I don't give a damm attitude’ he would be far more suited to herding
cattle.

Beaconlight is not a hotel or a welcoming place. To me the eccsence of a good guesthouse is
creating a friendly welcoming place, as home away from home and sadly
it failed.

In conclusion to me the popular place runs on a previous reputation (
describing itself as a tradition ). It will be interesting to see for
how long such terrible treatment goes on and all after all said the
other owner was truly delightful, chatty and charming.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank beachLondon
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We booked this guesthouse after reading some of the good reviews on trip advisor. There are times when you're not sure whether to read the terrible one's or not. Fortunately for us, I can say we have a very pleasant stay here and were made to feel welcome by the owners. We had arrived a little early, but were able to park up and go for some lunch. When we got back we found out the owners had upgraded us to a large room on the ground floor. Fantastic size, separate seating area and large open fireplace. Good size bathroom too with quality products to use. There was also a fridge, coffee perculator and microwave. One thing to remember, is that this is the owners home and it feels that way. All the small touches in terms of ornaments and decor places a lot of trust in guests staying there not to abuse their surroundings. Very good location as only a short walk from the main street. Weather wasn't great when we were there, but still managed to go up on the top deck to take some pictures of the scenery. Breakfast can either be round the large kitchen table or taken back to your room. We chose to eat in the kitchen as that's where you meet the other guests. Homemade cake, different one each day was a nice touch. Overall a very nice place and location.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The Beaconlight Bed & Breakfast is located just one block away from Commercial Street and the “P-Town” experience. The entry and reading area are impeccably decorated. The rooms have been recently decorated in bold tasteful colors. Although the website boasts fireplaces, I only saw a cast iron unit in the lobby. The rooms are quite small considering the price and only offer queen size beds. The closet housed a refrigerator and was a necessity for storage. The modular shower had good pressure, but confusing temperature controls. The third-floor deck offers a great view of the village, Pilgrim tower, and a glimpse of the Cape. Breakfast was upscale self-serve fare. Parking is available for the guests, but very limited. WiFi included.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My friend and I chose the Cape Ann room because it boasted of a king size bed and a working fireplace. No where in the advertisement did it state that you could not have a fire in the fall season. I mentioned it to the polite young man who showed us our room after our 3:00 arrival that there was no firewood by the fireplace. He sais that he would look around and get some for us. I asked him about 2 1/2 hrs. later about the status of the wood. He said that he was unable to find any, but would send someone out to fetch some for us. Hours passed. We went out for dinner and when we returned I saw a man in the hallway. I asked him if he worked at Beaconlight and he told me that he was one of the owners. I asked him if he could get us some firewood and was told in no uncertain terms that there were no fireplaces being used at this time of the year. The chimneys had not been cleaned and after all, fall had just begun....
I then pointed out to him that nowhere in the advertisement was there a mention about time frames and was promptly told that I should use my common sense. I thought that the owner was totally rude and out of line with his response.
Ann K.H.