“Bad before I arrived!”
Review of Gifford House Inn

Gifford House Inn
Ranked #44 of 64 Provincetown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 September 2011

My stay at the Gifford House started off wrong before I even arrived. I made a reservation over the phone and the person taking the call told me the room did not have a television but failed to tell me the room did not include A/C. After double checking the website and reading the fine print that stated only half of the rooms had A/C. I called the hotel to check and see if I had reserved a room with A/C. Of course the room I had reserved did not include A/C and I was told I had to pay an extra $60 a night for a room with A/C. I asked why wasn't I told this at the time of booking and he stated they only tell people in July and August. FYI my stay started September 2 and yes it was hot in Provincetown at that time so AC was needed. Is it really that difficult to waist 4 more seconds of air by telling your paying customer what the room offer or in this case doesn't offer? What really gets me is they didn’t care and they never apologized for the incident. When I asked if I could cancel the hotel management told me I was going to be charge 5% even though I made the reservation just one day earlier. I changed my reservation to the more expensive room with a partial bay view that included A/C.
Once I arrived to the hotel I was seriously disturbed by the food in the teeth of the person checking me in. Not only his leftover lunch the only thing annoying me but this guy was all over the place and very inefficient as it took me 20 minutes to pay, listen to him talk about nothing, and accept the key. After arriving to the room, I found it to be pretty clean with the exception on the rust colored stain under the comforter. The furniture was very old and the bed was the most uncomfortable thing I have eve slept in. The two pillows on the bed were so flat and they should have been replaced several years ago. The internet worked great in the room during my whole stay. Please be aware that the live music from the lobby starts at 10:00pm every night and last until 1:00am. I stayed on the top floor and I could hear every word with my door closed. Also annoying was the housekeeping checks every day around 3:00 pm, the room did not have a do not disturb sign so you got a daily knock from someone asking to check the room after housekeeping had cleaned it. I found the housekeeping staff to be friendly but the front desk staff was just there to be there. On my last day I asked if I could store my bags while I waited on the ferry and the staff told me to sit them in a corner of the lobby and he would watch them, even though I noticed him room to room and behind closed door. Not exactly the lock and key I had in mind for my valuables, I am from a much bigger city so I am more cautious than the locals apparently.
I found the location of the Gifford House to be perfect to the center of town and right in the middle of both of the larger bars in town. As much as I love Provincetown the adventures of trying to find an affordable room with a private bath seems to be never ending. Obviously paying $165 a night plus the insane amount of taxes added on to that was way too much for this place. Here is the thing, these people know they have a captured audience and by the time you get there and realize what you reserved there is no other place to go in such a small town with no vacancies.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank ATLtoEUR767

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Visited P-Town and stayed at the Gifford House. Met friends and enjoyed the location. We were able to eat and drink there and visit the rest of the town. Have been previously to this location for carnival week and would strongly recommend staying at the Gifford House. Enjoy your stay..

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank cindylang50
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I've been in the pricier places right on Commercial st. and while thier rooms have flat screen tv's and new decor, it's just not worth it for the money they want. I want to be able to pay for my room, be close to where I want to go, have adjacent parking and money left in my pocket to spend. The Gifford does exactly that. Sure the rooms have the feel of a college dorm room, but you just can't beat it. I always stay on a weekend during the off season. I've been in room 1 for the past 2 years and it's perfect. Private bath, fridge, ac, tv although the tv was never turned on. If I'm coming to Ptown, it's not to watch tv! Bed is comfortable, room is clean and the breakfast, hard boiled eggs, cereal, raisin toast, regular toast, bagels, muffins, fruit, milk, juice and coffee. Perfect way to start the day and not come out of pocket. After the club closes the place is quiet. I am always happy to get a room there and the staff are very helpful. I think I've started to recommend this too much. lol

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank pookaalp
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Basically a motel with multiple floors. The pictures on the websiite are acurate, yes they were taken decades ago and the decor furniture never changed. Ok place for the bar, but would not recommend to stay. Noise level wasn't bad we stayed in room 26 on the 3rd floor facing the front over the deck. With the ac on couldnt hear a thing. The views were good from our room..could see a little of the ocean. The restaurant never had anyone in it except the waitstaff sitting waiting for guests, not a good sign. Would recommend this place for young party kids who dont care and just need a place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor, less noisey
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RobinWyman75
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I stayed at the Gifford house bad service lots of attitude from Greg at the porch bar yelling at everyone that stayed their a complete waste of money.the staff their are not friendly at all I do not recommend staying their .the day you check in is the only day they will be nice to you

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank 6,782
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Bottom line - They perpetuate the bad stereotype about resort towns - they will squeeze you when they have the leverage.

I stayed at the Gifford during a busy weekend in August. The first room (with private bath) I had was fine, but it was available for only one night - so they transferred me to the Annex. The annex room (no private bath and only $15 less than the first room) was dark, cheerless, claustrophobically small and depressing. An air conditioner was promised but there was none. The staff jokingly called it the Anne Frank room (based on the woman who lived in hiding in an attic during the second world war). There were no other rooms available, and I asked the acting manager, Dave, I could get a reduced rate. He gleefully told me that it was a peak weekend and if I didn't like it I was free to go elsewhere. He knew there were no rooms in town, and was apparently pleased about this.

When I returned home in August, I wrote to the owner of the Inn, Mr. Jim Foss (who also owns the Watership Inn). It is now November, and as I haven't heard from Mr. Foss or anyone at the Inn, I decided to post this review. (I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, thinking he would respond to my letter).

These appear to be people who don't care about their customers - or know that they will have you by the throat during peak season. Here are two pictures - a standard room, and the Anne Frank room. Please have a look.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank SummerTraveller100
Reviewed 8 September 2010

This is a lovely old hotel in a great, central location. (Think big wooden turn-of-the-century New England summer hotel.) Rooms are dated but all have modern private baths. Great housekeeping staff. Room, bath very clean. Linens could use an upgrade, but okay. The bad part is if you are expecting some peace and quiet at night-forget it. There is a busy bar located off the large front porch that fills up around 11pm. Soemtimes unsleepably loud, sometimes managable. Worst is they feel the need to make a buck off the lobby space where an amplified, (!!), piano and singer(s) belt out "Oklahoma" and other jewels at dance club volume just a short distance from the rooms. They do mention the sound in the confirmation letter and when making a reservation. They say it's "barely audible" in the rooms. Simply not accurate.
They figure it's Ptown and most people don't go to bed until after the town's 1am closing time anyway, but the blasting music in a small lobby is overkill for the non-partying people.. That's the only big negative.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo