“The Only Chinese Restaurant that DOESN'T Deliver”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Fortune Cookie Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #98 of 143 Restaurants in Provincetown
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I'm sorry, but there are some things you expect from certain businesses as part of general customer service, and delivery service from a Chinese restaurant is a major one. An American Chinese restaurant that doesn't deliver is like a pizza parlor that doesn't offer parmesian cheese and crushed peppers, or a burger joint that doesn't offer ketchup for the french fries. I couldn't tell you how the food at Fortune Cookie's tastes because they astoundingly do not deliver in this major tourist/hotel foot-traffic town of Provincetown. To me, that is poor service and therefore the food quality is irrellivant.

If you think that is a harsh review, you must understand something about businesses in Provincetown. Large chain businesses have been banned here so that only local businesses can thrive. That's right - no McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Dominos, KFC, Home Depot/Lowes, Walmart, etc. There was a Subway here briefly last year but they were chased out. The promotion of local businesses sounds good on the surface - except that the local businesses abuse this with inflated prices (good luck finding a pizza under $20 here) and they go out of the way to make sure that you are dependent on them unless you are willing to drive 30 miles down Cape where there is a fair market on merchandise, food and prices. All of the restaurants charge astronomical prices, as though they are all five star (only a few could even remotely come close to five star). The locals, while desperately needing the tourists, do not like them and speak hatefully about them. Their motto could best be summed up as "Thank you for your money, now get lost." The very concept of "new ideas" and "change" are so offensive to the locals that they would have ran Walt Disney out on a rail.

So I am not being harsh in my critique of Fortune Cookie intentional lack of delivery service. In fact, when you call them, they direct you to another company who will deliver Fortune Cookie's food for you - if you are willing to pay the addition expensive delivery fee on top of the already ridiculous food price. In a town and state that has a law and restriction for everything under the sun (except for laws that prohibit damaged roads that give you whiplash when you drive on them), it is stunning how horribly they get away with price gouging.

Well, I'm sorry Fortune Cookie; I won't be one of your suckers. I'm better off getting Asian food at the supermarket.

Reviewed 12 June 2011

The Fortune Cookie located in Whaler's Wharf is excellent Chinese food.
During the winter months we have to travel 25 miles to Orleans to get Chinese food. It is a great relief when The Fortune Cookie opens up for the season.
I would recommend all the chicken dishes, they are all made with very good chicken. I like the All Special Rice, it has veggies, egg, pork, shrimp and chicken in it. It has this great sauce also. And the Crab Ragoons are the best I have ever had.
The Duck sauce is excellent - I always buy in a pint so I can keep at home. I always get take out on my way home from work, but they have a nice seating area inside and outside.
My only complaints: That they don't deliver, and that they aren't open year round!

Reviewed 18 January 2009

In the warf. In the summer months you should call ahead. Excellent chicken dishes. Rice is the best.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 4 February 2008

The only Chinese in Provincetown!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 August 2005

As a constant visitor to Provincetown for more than 30 years, it is a pleasure to have a good Chinese restaurant where you can count on fresh food at a reasonable price. It's perfect for those occasions when you don't necessarily want to be in the "scene" and maybe want a change from the run of the mill Cape Cod seasonal tourist restaurants which can be quite frankly, pretty mediocre.
My partner and I have been eating here on each of our visits since it opened and we recommend it wholeheartedly.