“Great overlook of the sand dunes”

Province Lands Visitor Center
Ranked #12 of 74 things to do in Provincetown
Reviewed 29 August 2014

The Province Land Visitor's Center is a great spot to pick up maps, guides and tips on making the most of your visit to the Cape Cod National Seashore. It also has a fabulous lookout from atop the building which offers great views of the sand dunes and distant coast line. It's worth dropping by even if you don't have time to visit any of the beaches.

1  Thank John B

Reviewed 27 August 2014

A helpful ranger gave us a map and highlighted drives, sites and beaches based on our interest. The museum displayed artifacts of early life on Cape Cod. Films show daily on multiple topics, including the changing geology of the Cape. A great start to the National Seashore area.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

This is a good place to start when you explore the National Seashore area, to get oriented and collect some helpful information.

There are some exhibits but they aren't very extensive. Go to the upstairs viewing deck for some very nice views.

I'm rating this average not because there's anything wrong with it, but because I have been to dozens of visitor centers at national parks around the country and in comparison to those, this one does not excel in any way. It is, well, about average, which for National Park visitor centers, is good. Don't interpret my rating as a negative.

1  Thank Joe H
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Great view from roof! The rangers will provide useful trail and beach information, including how to find lesser used trails.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Our family of five (17,15,12) rented bikes in downtown Provincetown and rode out to the trail. The whole ride took about two hours, taking only brief water stops, etc. There are areas where you can sit an enjoy the air, scenery and the seashore but we we out for a ride. We brought water bottles in our holders and I carried my camera a la a bike messenger bag.

We all took hybrid bikes, which were ideal. In fact, you don't even need the shocks/suspension. I went without suspension and I think I preferred that over the bikes the family choose (personal preference). You will run through all the gears so its best if you have some experience changing gears on an 18-speed bike with grip shifts.

The trails are fairly narrow yet well maintained. It is important to stay in your lane as there are some fast, curvy downhills and riders can really pick up speed. The narrow roads lined with brush and trees means common rider courtesy is a must (stay to the right). The trail goes through shaded areas, some "forest" areas and sunny parts. There are wild berry bushes on the side but please move totally off the trail if you are going to stop and pick a few.

One tip is to bring a change of clothes! You will sweat and probably get some dirt on your shorts and shirt. The chain on my bike came off a few times so I had really greasy hands, too. So before you head into town for a celebratory refreshment, take a few minutes to clean up.