“Highlight of the week”

Dolphin Fleet Whale Watch
Ranked #1 of 26 Tours in Provincetown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Whale watching originators of east coast whale watching since 1975. trips depart daily from Provincetown harbor. 3-4 hours in duration. booking available on-line, private chartering available. trip times vary, up to 10 trips daily during July and August Season April- October
Reviewed 21 July 2010

We took our family of seven on the Whale Watch Dophin Fleet yesterday. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip. The events were narrated by a young woman who is getting her PhD in Oceanology/Whales (some more specific topic which I can't recall) and she was excellent. She pointed out many things we would otherwise have missed (tuna, dolphins, sea birds, etc.) Of course, the hope of the trip was to see some whales and we certainly did! Our first sighting was a pod of seven humpback whales which included a calf. Each time the pod surfaced, the crew brought the boat gently right up close. Several times a whale swam right under the bow of the boat. We stayed in that area and watched them surfaced about 5-6 times. Each time they dive down for about 10-15 minutes and then come back up. We then went to another area and found two more whales. The whole time, the guide was telling us information about the whales, their migration, their mating habits, what/how they eat, how they give birth & raise their young, etc. The boat ride itself was relaxing and pleasant. It did get chilly and I was glad to have a jacket to put on. Best place to see the action was at the front of the boat where you could sight the whales on either side of the boat. All in all, it will be the highlight of our week in Cape Cod. Expensive, but I'm very glad we decided to do it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,719)

Reviewed 19 July 2010

These guys were great. I was surprised to see one reviewer say they could not hear the naturalist .... we actually could hear her so well we moved once from under the speaker! She was very informative and we all learned so much.

The water was rough that day, fortunately nobody was seasick. But they did have Dramamine for sale there, I noticed, because I contemplated giving some to the kids before we left. (I've always heard if you don't take it before you get sick, it's too late.)

We saw five whales, three adults and two calves. The naturalist even knew the names of the adult whales! We saw all kinds of breaching, and it was spectacular.

The naturalist was obviously excited by the whales, and actually cared about the creatures, not just spouting off information. When we had questions, she was very patient and knowledgable.

During our venture I saw one other ship from a competitor come and go while we stayed and watched the show the whales put on. I was concerned about the three-hour duration with my very young children, but you didn't even notice time passing.

Wonderful. Perhaps a little pricey but SO WORTH IT!

Reviewed 12 July 2010

We saw 8 different humpback whales, on one occasion extremely close to the boat (their choice, we didn't crowd them) plus a small pod of leaping dolphins. I will never forget this experience -- well worth the price. My only complaint would be that the tour guide was hard to hear at times -- not a big deal since I already knew most of the material she was covering. The crew was professional and friendly (but had to bark once at passenger disregarding instructions).

We were towards the end of the line to board, but still got good seats.

It was about 100 degrees on shore, so being out on the cool water was an added plus.

Of course, your luck could vary from ours, but it was a fantastic outing. Friends who took the same tour a few years back saw something like 16 whales (but no dolphins).

Reviewed 10 July 2010

This was my third whale watching cruise and it was terrible compared to my two previous experiences. On previous trips (from Gloucester and Cape Cod), the boat Captain would linger for quite some time along side the whales so that everyone could observe them, take photos, etc. But the Dolphin Fleet Captain appeared to be interested only in meeting the most minimal requirement possible in order to satisfy the guaranteed sighting and after which we immediately turned around and headed back to shore. We we shocked at how abruptly the boat took off once we had located the whales and angry to think how even just a few more minutes might have made our experience so much more enjoyable. I would encourage anyone to avoid this whale watch operator.

2  Thank AvonIN
CapeWhaleWatch, Manager at Dolphin Fleet Whale Watch, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2010

We're sorry you were disappointed with your Dolphin Fleet whale watch. Each of our four vessels is scheduled for four full hours between trips. Since we operate out of Provincetown MA we are closest to Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary where we regularly see whales on their ancestral summer feeding grounds. Four hours is generally enough time to spend at least two hours searching for and viewing whales on the Bank or close to it. If they whales are not on the Bank we steam further out to sea to find at least one whale. Rarely we use all of our alloted two hours on the Bank searching for this one whale and when we find it we must immediately return to port to maintain our schedule for the next trip. This is not an arbitary decision on the part of the Captain. He knows there are people on the pier waiting for our return and their turn to go whale watching. And he is as disappointed as you are with the results of the excursion. Please accept our apologies.

Reviewed 10 July 2010

I am someone who is fearful of water and boating. I was doing this for my husband who had his heart set on going. If I had my choice, I would have stayed on land!! I thank God that I went and had a wonderful time. It was my best experience on Cape Cod. There is nothing like being just 40 or sofeet from a whale as it hurls itself out of the water (called breaching -- I learned from the trip!!). It is breathtaking. The ship we were on, the Dolphin VIII, was nice. You can sit up top on the sundeck or down below. Up on the top deck, a marine biologist gave a presentation on marine life as we are travelling to the whale watching site. Once we arrived, he told us the types of whales we were seeing and their names (they've been studying them for years and have given them names according to their tail markings -- something else I learned!!). We had an atypical day in that we saw 8 whales!! I can't talk about this activity enough. We had no trouble registering -- we did it over the phone the night before. And we were given the AAA rate.
Some Tips:
Bring Dramamine if you are prone to sea sickness -- the boat is tossed a bit on the waves once it stops to look at the whales
On the Dolphin VIII, try to get a seat on the bottom level in the middle, between the two doors -- it is easy to run back and forth from one side of the boat to the other to see the whales from this spot.

2  Thank SpydersGirl