“Pictures on website are deceiving.”

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Provincetown
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and it will be the last time. Very disappointed in how STARK our room was. It had a medicinal odor to it, there was rust in the shower, behind the toilet and the mirror on the bathroom door was pitted, showing its age. The floors are not carpeted, I analyzed the floor before & after housekeeping and no surprise - they DID NOT mop! We had a quick dinner downstairs in their restaurant and the service was terrible. The restrooms in the lobby were not kept and there was a half eaten container of yogurt sitting outside our window sill for 2 nights -housekeeping walked by it and never disposed of it. Highly disappointed, dirty and not updated - I would not recommend this hotel to family or friends.

• Stayed: August 2013
HarborHotel, General Manager at Harbor Hotel Provincetown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

We’re upset to hear that your stay was not what you hoped for. Our housekeeping and maintenance staff works diligently to ensure that our accommodations are exceptional and clearly we missed the mark with you. We sincerely apologize for the condition of your room. Your feedback is very important to us, so we will share your comments with our staff in order to improve. Please consider staying with us again so we can show you how fantastic our hotel really is.

Harbor Hotel Provincetown

Write a ReviewReviews (1,119)

Reviewed 5 August 2013

This past weekend I had the pleasure of staying at the Harbor Hotel in Provincetown. Initially we were only planning on staying one night and had booked a courtyard suite. The staff at the front desk was pleasant and Peter McHenry, the Guest Service Manager, could not had been friendlier and made us feel right at home. When we got to our room it was exactly as shown on their website. The room was immaculately clean, bright and welcoming. The fire pit was a great place to relax next to and reflect on the day with my wife.

We enjoyed the hotel so much we extend our time there and switched to a Bay View room. This was a standard room with two double beds, but as with the suite, the room was clean and well appointed. There was a blues band playing at the bar that evening that rounded off our stay in Provincetown. Although this was our first time staying at this hotel, you can be certain it will not be our last.
Thank you Harbor Hotel staff for your warmth and friendliness, see you soon….

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

The fact that you extended your stay at the Harbor Hotel Provincetown is an incredible thing for us to hear! Our staff is always happy to assist our guests and it’s great to hear that interacting with them was a highlight on your stay. We’ll be sure to share your comments with the staff member you specifically mentioned; I’m sure your kind words will make his day! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It would be wonderful to have you as a guest again!

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I cannot tell you how pleasant my experience was at the harbor hotel. My friend and I had the most wonderful time. Everyone was just lovely. Keith, the bartender at the pool, was just incredible. We loved getting to know him. We also met this darling girl named Lexi who worked at the bar inside the hotel. She saw to our every need and was an absolute professional. We also loved getting to know her as her wonderful personality was exposed in everything she did. That is my favorite part about the Harbor Hotel in general- it's personality. Everything from the whimsical decor to the incredible staff was perfect from beginning to end. Do not even consider staying anywhere else while visiting Provincetown- Harbor Hotel is the perfect fit for everyone!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Ahevert
HarborHotel, General Manager at Harbor Hotel Provincetown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Your kind words for our hotel are incredible for us to hear! Thank you for sharing your experience at the Harbor Hotel Provincetown with us. We’re thrilled that everything about your stay was exceptional. Our staff is dedicated to providing our guests the best service around and it’s great to know that we’re hitting the mark! We’ll be sure to share your comments with the staff members you specifically mentioned - they’ll definitely be happy to hear them! It would be wonderful to have you as a guest again on your next trip.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed at the Harbor Hotel during a recent visit to Provincetown. We were in town for a wedding and this was the hotel the couple had chosen to block off rooms for out of town guests.

We arrived in town Friday, and after a morning of strolling up and down Commercial Street, decided to call and see if our room was ready (around 1:30-2pm). Much to our excitement, we were told it was, in fact, available. When we got to the hotel and told the girl behind the counter we wished to check in, we were greeted with an attitude as she told us "well check-in isn't until 3 but I guess I can look and see if it's ready". She became slightly more friendly after we told her we called already and were informed that the room was ready... We checked-in, got our keys and headed over to our room. When we opened the door we found the room in a state of disarray.. The sheets were ripped off the beds, the trash can was full, and the toilet had been left "unflushed". It appeared there was no communication between housekeeping and the front desk, as the room had clearly not been turned over yet. I could chalk this up to a simple mistake, but the SAME THING, happened to family members who checked in earlier that day... they were told their room was ready, were given their keys, and found their room in the same state. We called the front desk and were told we could come back to the lobby and wait until the room was ready. To me, this was unacceptable. We were told the room was available and had already left the center of town to go to our room based off this information. Housekeeping happened to be working on a room nearby and when they saw us in the room (and after explaining the situation), the housekeeper graciously offered to turn the room over right away while we waited there. She was the only friendly and helpful staff member I encountered during the stay. *I should also note, that while the front desk people appear almost offended when you try to check in before 3pm, they apparently have no problems making you wait.. My two brothers who checked in the previous night both couldn't get into their rooms until after 5pm (two separate rooms).*

I don't know if maybe we were placed in a room that had not been renovated yet, but the state of the room was below average. The wall was crumbling in the bathroom, along with ring stains on the counter, and a toilet seat that felt like it was going to break if you sat on it. We attempted to open the sliding door to the "patio" and the screen door fell completely off the track and we needed maintenance to come in an fix it. The sliding door itself was nearly impossible to open. For what we paid per night, I can't help but feel completely ripped off.

- When we went to the front desk to ask about any restaurants nearby that would deliver, they were rude and basically just pointed to the stack of flyers on the book shelf to the left of the desk.

- I don't understand why a hotel restaurant take-out menu is left in the room, but when calling to order lunch, are told we have to order at the pool bar.

This hotel is just NOT worth the money you fork out to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ginesy

Dear Harbor Hotel Guest,

I read your Trip Advisor review with considerable surprise and dismay. Typically our General Manager responds to all reviews, but in this instance I am compelled to respond on behalf of staff and my partners. We are sincerely sorry for your unhappiness, and I will offer no excuses. I can say that your experience is a true aberration for the Harbor Hotel, where literally thousands of guests a week are very happy and satisfied, and have a great time at our hotel and in Provincetown. The administrative process between our Housekeeping Department and our Reception Desk broke down, and I can only apologize profusely. I am also troubled by the fact that our staff was not its typical friendly self. I have personally talked to everyone of our associates whom you encountered. Our General Manager is going to reach out to you privately and directly with an appropriate expression of our apology.

Gary L Avigne

Managing Partner

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I lived in Provincetown for 10 yrs. and worked/managed a guest house for 7+ yrs. so I know the area and the business ... the Harbor House was truly the best choice for my brief return to Ptown. This property has been beautifully refurbished in a bright, though not garish, color palette with interesting textures and a clean-line/contempory design. Just loved the concrete floors--no funky dirty worn carpets here. I had read other reviews that said the rooms were terribly noisy so I was apprehensive to book but was pleasantly surprised by a very peaceful stay. For me, the location of the HH was perfect too -- out of the seasonal fray that is Provincetown and bus shuttle into town was fast, convenient and inexpensive. While I usually find included breakfast bars to be inedible - I happily was able to eat from and enjoy this one. The staff was friendly and helpful and said 'yes' to our special requests -- though they didn't seem to communicate the pertinent info to other staff members so just make sure to get a name if you make a request. My only other comment is that though the room was spotless otherwise - there was some mold/mildew in the shower and I find even this small amount to be unacceptable. I loved my recent stay at the Harbor House and will absolutely book here when visiting Provincetown again. Oh yeah, the bed was great, too!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

As a former resident of our area, we’re thrilled to hear that your recent stay with us exceeded your expectations! We’re happy that you enjoyed our modern-style accommodations and that you were able to take advantage of everything our prime location offers! We do apologize about the cleanliness of the bathroom - we’ll be sure to look into it. Your comments are greatly appreciated by the Harbor Hotel Provincetown and we’re looking forward to seeing you on your next stay!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

THANK YOU TO ALL OF THE HARBOR HOTEL STAFF ESPECIALLY KEITH AND ARMANDO, FERNANDO AND LEXI!!!!!! I have traveled to many all-inclusive resorts outside of the U.S. and I would have to say that this hotel was by far the most fun hotel I have stayed at in the U.S. From the awesome welcome we got from Keith at the pool side bar, to Armado's restaurant suggestions, and Lexi's wonderful personality at the hotel's restaurant/bar, They made our stay incredibly fun. I have to mention all the friends we made while at the Harbor hotel for 3 nights. Abby and Liz, Dawn and E. J, and Bill and Zach...thank you for adding to the enjoyment of our stay!!!! We loved inviting ourselves to Dawn and E.J's wedding and the fact that they let us join in their celebration of marriage on the beach was true kindness!!! My husband and I relaxed by the pool, swam in the beach across the street, had romantic beach walks while the tide was out, loved the fire pit and Adirondack chairs and enjoyed the food both at the hotel and Boubala's on Commercial Street. Although the exterior of the hotel may look like a 60"s throw-back the inside is very modern and clean. I loved all the staff that was from Macedonia ( sorry if I asked too many questions :) and the staff from Jamaica, everyone was friendly and made sure our stay was memorable! We were greeted with welcoming smiles and it was very much appreciated. We were very relaxed during our entire stay and we would highly recommend the Harbor Hotel to anyone looking for a quiet get away to a great socializing experience. Thanks a million for giving us 4 days of fun and excitement! MUST SEE-**Please visit Head of The Meadow Beach in Truro during low tide for the sun set. Walk all the way to the left. If you go around 6 you will see the seals resting.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

It must have been lovely to socialize with everyone on your trip and even enjoy a wedding! Our staff truly enjoys engaging with our guests and providing all with a personal and amazing experience. Thank you very much for your recommendation of the Harbor Hotel Provincetown. We hope to see you again soon!

Yours truly,

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Just spent a night at this hotel as I was passing through to visit with a very good friend who was in town for a wedding. The hotel was very comfortable and overall, quite clean. There was definitely a little bit of wear that was evident (mostly in the bathroom with a wiggly toilet and a couple of loose tiles). That said; I found the accommodations to be very comfortable. It is also nice that they throw in breakfast and you can get a decent cup of coffee - which seems to be hard for most places that give you free breakfast. The staff was VERY friendly. I honestly found them to be just the right combination of pleasant and friendly without being intrusive or fake. The weather was pretty terrible when we were there and I overheard them give advice to some other families that had kids to help keep them busy. It was sound advice and I'm sure those folks had a much better day as a result.

I definitely recommend this place and will plan to return in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Despite the unpleasant weather you encountered, we’re pleased that you still had an enjoyable stay! It’s great to hear that you found your accommodations satisfactory. We genuinely aim to provide our guests with the best service possible and it sounds like we did exactly that. The Harbor Hotel Provincetown would be happy to have you as a guest again and we thank you for your review.