“Most incredible views”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Provincetown
Boston, Massachusetts
“Most incredible views”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I just came back from staying 5 days at this great hotel, my partner and I left Boston looking for a place to relax and we couldn't be happier from choosing the masthead.
We stayed at room 35(Richards), its a beautiful cottage, old classic style with 3 bedrooms, facing the ocean, the views are breathtaking, the sound of the water at night and the breeze coming from our window was just magical.
House keeping was great as well as maintenance, we had an issue with our fridge and ten minutes after our called it was fixed.
Special thanks to Mr Ciluzzi for all his kindness. We will for sure be back to this ptown gem.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Hyannis, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Charming cottages with a real Cape Cod quaintness. Step out the door to a quiet beach that becomes broad flats at low tide, ideal for a romantic stroll or brisque walk (make sure you know the tide schedule!) Who needs fancy amenities with such natural beauty? Spotlessly clean and equiped with all necessities, only a walk from downtown which is chock full of fabulous eateries for all tastes and some very unique shopping. Try it you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rebecca H
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Let's be honest, I didn't expect the Ritz but for $325 a night, I didn't expect the below par accommodations. I did expect to have someone on-site and available with any issues but for 95% of the time we were there, there wasn't anyone.

The person I booked with also greeted us and she was great. That is where the friendliness/helpfulness ended.

The view is nice from the dock but the cottage we had was recessed back from the others with the nice, big picture windows on the 2nd floor so we didn't have as nice a view. When I saw the differences in the cottages, I was shocked that we paid the same price as the other, seemingly nicer ones.

We had a closed in porch and then a studio with a queen bed, fold out couch and roll away bed. All were hard as a rock and not comfortable at all. My sister had to sleep with the cushions from the couch laid on top of the mattress in order to get even remotely comfortable without having metal in her back. Note that there was a TON of furniture everywhere. I like open space and felt so claustrophobic with all of the chairs, tables, lights, desks, knick knacks.

Overall I guess you could say it was clean but because it was so old and rather muggy, it didn't totally feel it. The bathroom is very small and I didn't shower because I forgot my shower shoes. Even if I had them, not sure I would have used it anyway because the hot water lasted for about 5 minutes after about 10 minutes of warming up.

Scary fact #1: they have stanchions across the entire ceiling to support the second floor. YIKES!

Scare fact #2: they have extensions rigged up and hanging everywhere to get power to some of the lights. DOUBLE YIKES!

Now, when you're in PTown you spend most of your time hanging out downtown, shopping, eating, seeing shows, spa'ing, or whatever so, luckily, we didn't spend a lot of time there. I do have to do some work occasionally over he weekend but could not get any wi-fi and was told "oh, 'he' left at 4 but I'll try to reach him" in that "there's no way I'm going to even try to help you" kind of tone.

We had a little kitchen and everything in there was fine.

All in all, there were not a lot of positives. There is nowhere to socialize with other guests, no place other than your own kitchen to get coffee, which was gross and only had powdered milk provided.

Believe me, I am not high maintenance and can get by on essentials but this place didn't meet them.

I would not recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't go. But there is a great restaurant right near there called Sal's. it's fantasti...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank BettyRoxx
Barnstable, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 12 September 2012

This cottage resort all of what you want to enjoy at a beachfront vacation. Charming cottages, clean and neat with the classic feel of Provincetown. Listen to the water as it laps against the sand and lulls you to sleep. Enjoy the waterfront deck and watch the boats and gulls skim across the water. A true classic.

Room Tip: Try one of the free standing cottages. 2-3 bedrooms right on the water.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Lynda B
New York
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Great location, charming, right on the water. Staff very nice. Has all the necessities and very quaint. You get a real since of the area with this place. Smallish cottages, but perfect for two people. The deck and chairs very comfortable and right on the water. Great light especially early morning and dusk.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I just returned from my 7th visit to the Masthead; I was drawn to it the previous summer when looking around the West End waterfront for a new place to try. I peeked into the property and saw the expansive deck which overlooks the bay and I was sold. Fabulous location for any beach lover, especially, for me, for the access to early morning walks in low tide (almost made it to the other side of the bay one morning, until I worried about how fast the tide was coming in!). The staff is very accomodating and pleasant. I wish I was still there...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Got here at night after the office closed. Stumbled in the dark with heavy bags searching for my expensive waterfront room. When I finally located the front door the interior was pitch black. Too much trouble to leave one light on? Next morning the phone rang bright and early telling me to come down to the office and pay the balance of my bill (!) Masthead could stand a crash course in "welcoming friendliness". I stayed in the "Enrico Caruso" Cottage right on the water. Pricey, lovely location - but why build a storage corral directly in front of the waterfront porch? Sitting in the deck chair you face a plywood wall instead of the glorious bay? The location is far out on the West End - tranquil and serene, but a bit of a hike into the heart of Commercial St. (Renting a bike makes it effortless however.) Kitchen utensils were spotty; non functioning can opener, dirty salad bowl under sink, fridge dripped water on food. After preparing a meal for four I carefully washed all crockery and placed on a bath towel (no drainer) to dry. Housekeeper brought new towels but studiously avoided putting the dishes away. Asked for help opening my room safe. Never materialized. All in all, beautiful location on the water, well-tended grounds and asleep-at-the-wheel management.

• Stayed August 2012