“fun place”

Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Provincetown
Stonington, Connecticut
“fun place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

Just wanted to tell all you other regular Breakwater visitors (I've been going for 30 years to this place) that they finally put new windows in and they look (and work) great! They put new rugs in...little funky on the design but very cool. Glad to see that young foreign couple back...Les and Niki. They always have such an eclectic group of people working there and some colorful locals staying. I never know who I'll meet when I stay. Good job guys! See ya again in few weeks with my pooch. Spunky still loves the beach across from the motel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gogoG-ma

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

Years ago, way before my time, Provincetown was an isolated little fishing village with a reputation for tolerance that suited people whose lifestyles were beyond the mainstream. Then along came the MONEY. Real estate prices went crazy and everyone got an attitude. Good luck finding a decent room for less than $200 per night in season, and forget about staying less than four nights. What will all that money buy you? A tiny room with "luxury bath products" if you're lucky. Maybe a breakfast with homemade scones. Probably fellow guests with big money attitudes of their own.

Well, I have my own travel kit with my own luxury bath products, and I'd much rather explore my breakfast options than to be locked into the offerings at one B&B. I've stayed at many of the finer establishments in Provincetown over the years, and for my money the Breakwater gives the best value of them all. NO, it's not fancy, but it's clean and the people who run it are friendly (I believe it's family owned). They do not put up with nonsense from the guests, so you don't have to worry about a bunch of rowdies ruining your weekend. I tell everyone about this place, because I think people are suspicious of it because it's so cheap. I tend to steer clear of cheap hotels, especially if, like the Breakwater, they look like the Bates Motel (from Psycho). This is not your typical cheap motel though!

It's located about a mile from the center of town, right across from a nice harbor beach, so there's no noise from late-night parties. You can hop the shuttle every 20 minutes and be in the middle of all the excitement in five minutes, or enjoy the nice walk or bike ride. They let you use the pool next door at Cape Inn, and they happen to have an awesome little outdoor restaurant with poolside service. I had some excellent raw oysters! Hello? There aren't too many places in town that will give you that. A lot of those VERY EXPENSIVE B&Bs don't have a pool or a restaurant.

I last stayed there July 2008, but I'm writing this review in July 2009, just after making my reservation to visit again during my vacation in August. I'm really looking forward to another great weekend in "old P-town," and I'll write another review once I get back!

Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank Robin L
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2008

We were looking for a no frills motel to say in, after a couple of days touring around Cape Cod. We came across this place, and decided to stay the night.

We were offered a cheaper room at the back part of the motel, but decided to spend the extra dollars to get a room overlooking the water. The room was clean and the beds were fine for a welcome nights rest. The front desk staff were polite and helpful with information on where to go and what to see in P'town. There was the offer of a movie viewing in one of the conference rooms, but as we were only there overnight, decided to head into town. Being late October, most places had closed for the season, but we found a lovely restaurant with home cooking. Breakfast at the hotel was your basic continental type, although there could've been a little more on offer, but it was filling enough.

If you are looking for a no frills motel, with friendly staff and a great view, then this is the place. Thanks for a great stay.

• Liked — Proximity to the town centre
  • Disliked — Nothing in particular
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jimh316
rhode island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2008

I was very satisfied with our overnight stay, we did not have unrealistic expectations, the room was small the furniture was ancient, but it was clean and the beach across the street was amazing!! Lesley at check in was very friendly and took a cell phone number in case we needed a call about the dogs, who could be left alone in the room. One of the most dog friendly places I've ever stayed in! It is a hike into town but can be done. To be able to actually book a 1 night stay so inexpensivly on a holiday weekend in PTown was great!! we all loved the beach across the street, sunset at night, mimosas on the beach in the moring!! We made the most of it and will go back.

Stayed September 2008
Groton, Ct
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2008

Ptown is over priced and can be pretentious. But this place is cheap and in a perfect spot looking at the bay, next to the big pool too. The rooms are ancient but they don't pretend to be anything but an old beachy motel. Bring your pet because it's the most pet friendly place I've ever stayed in. The staff is fun and casual like the motel itself. Thanks Breakwater for saving us money on the motel so we could spend more on going out to eat. See ya next year. Larry and Greg

• Liked — Price matches no frills; fun staff; location
  • Disliked — the plumbing was slow to drain...but the cool maintenance guy fixed it fast
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Buttonsdad
nottingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2007

we booked 2 rooms at the motel for 3 nights in August after reading the positive reviews on tripadvisor.

The motel looks ok from the outside but when we got inside we were most disappointed! The room had bits on the floor so it obviously hadn't been cleaned properly and there were several dead insects on the windowsill. There was also cobwebs in the corner of the room. The room just generally had a very grotty feeling, it was so bad that we decided we couldn't stay there. It took over 2 hours to find anywhere else to stay as the Mardi Gras was on that weekend, but eventually we found somewhere a bit further out of the town but so much better and a similar price.

I know the motel is cheap but we'd still expect a certain level of cleanliness!

• Disliked — the lack of cleanliness.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank avc1

Travellers are raving about these Provincetown hotels

Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

When my mother and I checked in, the woman at the front desk was not willing to give an opinion on anything we asked. She stated that all the restaurants were "nice and were about the same price" and that all the whale watching tours were "nice and cost the same price." It was made clear that dogs were welcome by the water dish outside and dog biscuits on the counter but we don't have a dog. But there was nothing set out that made me think humans were welcome.

The Breakwater Motel is a 1.5-2 mile walk to the downtown area (there is a sign posted once you start your trek into civilization), not 1/4-1/2 mile as suggested by other reviewers. The sidewalk is crowded and small so you have to dart around everyone else and make sure you don't get hit by a bus, car or trolley. There is a shuttle that is supposed to come by every twenty minutes but is closer to forty and you have to jump up and down to get the driver's attention. There are no bus stops or benches so you just wait anywhere on the side of the road.

There was nothing around the Breakwater Motel but the Cape Inn which was where the pool and restaurant were located. No continental breakfast and there isn't a coffeepot in your room so bring some Nutri-Grain bars. The only grocery stores carried overpriced organic foods so we had to stop at the gas station downtown to buy peanut butter and loaf of bread.

The room did have cable television, air conditioning and a refrigerator. The three nights that I stayed here I could hear what my neighbors were saying and that they liked to watch Kathy Griffin very loud at two in the morning. The a.c. machine hung over my face and I was scared that if it fell my skull would be crushed.

Large chunks of dated wallpaper were coming off the walls and there were also some yellow stains spattered around the walls. Everything just should have been repainted to spruce things up a bit. The shower floor was not cleaned before we first entered the room, there were blond hairs on the bottom and the floor itself was tinged grey. The shower head had some sort of blackish mold growing on it and when you sit on the toilet, your knees/legs hit the sink. And there were two spiders crawling around the bathroom floor during our visit.

I'm not sure why this is rated the number two hotel in Provincetown.

• Stayed August 2007
4 Thank amieo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Provincetown
Harbor Hotel Provincetown
#13 of 14 in Provincetown
Sandbars on Cape Cod Bay
Sandbars on Cape Cod Bay
#3 of 11 in North Truro

Been to Breakwater Motel? Share your experiences!