“not bad for ptown”

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Provincetown
Madrid, Spain
“not bad for ptown”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

Would I recommend this place? Well, it depends. It worked alright with me because I was looking for an accomodation for one day only, and most places in ptown require at least a 2-nights stay in high season. I like walking so the distance from the city center was no issue, but you should take inti account that it's a nice 30 minutes walk from the hotel to, say, The Lobster Pot. And 30 min. to come back. So if you take a walk in the morning and then go out for dinner in the evening, in the end it's a couple of hours you spend up and down Commercial Street. It's fun, but I wouldn't like to do it everyday if I were to stay there for a week. The Provincetown Inn was built in the 30’s and the main building looks as it hasn't been renovated fo a while, yet it can still display some aspects of what must have been its original "grandeur". My room was in the old building, on the second floor, and was acceptable both in size and in cleanliness. The balcony was nice, and the light breathtaking, as you are at the very end of the cape. Breakfast was rich and very good. I had the impression the owners are doing their best to keep the place going without spending the money it would take to bring it back to its original high-end elegance. As it is, it is one of the best deals I found in ptown.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank raf89
ProvincetownManager, Front Office Manager at Provincetown Inn Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Thank you for your thoughtful and honest review! So happy to hear that our facilities are up to par. The views are spectacular here, aren't they? Being close to, but not in, town is one of the most loved aspects (as well as the views) of The Provincetown Inn. Take care this winter and hopefully we will see you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Hebrew first
Lowell, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

The rooms at this place were the worst part. We had a king bed that took up 90 percent of the floor/room. We coiould barely fit our suitcases and couldnt fit a pack and play for or baby. Deck was unusable due to bugs, though view was nice. Bathrooms were pretty gross. The beach was nice and the pool good too 0 but it wasnt open the 1sr day of our stay. The only restaurant there wouldnt let anyone under 21 in, so this isnt good if you are traveling with a child. Id saystaying at this hotel is equivelant to "roughing it".

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Travelergrl824
Thank you for writing an honest review. I apologize that our hotel did not meet your needs. The last thing we want is an unhappy guest. Because we are located on the water and next to the marsh, there are bugs present outside. The tavern is open to all guest until 10:00 p.m. while food is being served. The late night hours are limited to 21+ due to the fact that there are only drinks available. I'm sorry that the room was not adequate in space. We are working hard to make improvements. Thank you again for your honesty and please take care!

Travellers are raving about these Provincetown hotels

Great Barrington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

If you are accustom to staying in a modern style hotel, this may not be for you, but if you're looking for some character, I'd highly recommend this inn because there's nothing around quite like it. Besides a peaceful setting overlooking the ocean, the location can't be beat. My husband and I both agree the breakfast (which is included) offers many options....hot oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, toast, bagels, etc. Love the murals in the hallways which take you back in time. Yes, it's clean and the staff is very accomodating. We enjoy the cape in the off season, so the rates are fantastic!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you, thank you, thank you! We are one of a kind around here! We hope you decide to stay with us in the near future. Have a great winter and we'll see you soon!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

I Stayed for 4 nights in July 2012. I booked a waterfront inn room whcih had a beautiful view of the ocean. The room was quite spacious and ample storage area.
It is about a 15 walk into the centre of town. For those of you who do not like walking, there are taxi services. Reception can book a taxi. The walk is really nice and a good way to sample the different areas of provincetown and get some much needed excercise!
The hotel pool is really good, there is an alcohol and food bar beside the pool.
Breakfast consisted of bagels, bread, yogurts, cereals and juices. It was really nice.There is also a waffle machine which I did not use.
The cost of rooms depends on which one you choose. I would recommend this hotel and will be staying here on my next visit.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
We are so happy to hear you had such a great stay with us this summer! Thank you for your honest and kind words. They mean a lot to us! We hope we can make your next stay with us just as, if not more, enjoyable. Have a wonderful winter season!
Cocoa Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

This is a very spacious , beach comber style hotel, Rooms are not fancy But...all seem to face the Ocean or the pool. The place has a nice relaxing feel to it. Theres a jetta that goes to a nice light house and very peaceful beach. We walked to the down town about 1/2 mile very nice walk at 1pm or 1am.

Room Tip: If you see its booked up online , call as I did and they had rooms available.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rksamuri
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Provincetown Inn! We are very glad to hear that you had a relaxing vacation here. It means a lot to hear such wonderful reviews! We hope to see you again!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Loved that this gem was at the end of town, so I felt I was out of the hustle and yet minutes walking along through the cute streets to great little restautrants and pubs.There is a main house that has old seaworthy charm and I stayed down along the water in one of the Cape Tip rooms. I had my own patio with chairs lounger and little table . I opened my curtains to literally the "Lands End " .There is a endless breakwater along the side of the hotel you can connect onto and walk forever .I saw cuttlefish schools and rare sea birds nesting along it. This place is old school, so it has the worn weathered seacoast character , is clean that is key, but as they say "an old girl that has weathered many storms". I really enjoyed the walk upto the main house for breakfast and also enjoying coffee proveded in my room or cocktails(refrigerator in room ) out on my semi private patio looking at the water and seagulls ! Its easy going , freindly and frankly my happy place so much I stayed two extra nights after a conference I attended !

Room Tip: Pick one of the Cape Tip Rooms I had # 145-you can open your curtains to see only the ocean !
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank sandiphoto
ProvincetownManager, Front Office Manager at Provincetown Inn Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! The views and variety of nature are quite breathtaking. Thank you for sharing how wonderful your vacation was! We hope you get a chance to visit us again!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

There's nothing really WRONG with the Provincetown Inn per se... no bugs, employees are friendly, beds are fine, etc. But this place could use some serious updating.

I shared a room with two friends (and we paid an extra $15/night for a third person), and got a room which, if it were just a little more modern, would have been really great -- windows on two sides with beautiful views, a porch with adirondack chairs, comfortable enough beds, plenty of space, clean. But the place is just so OLD. Ugly blue tiles in the bathroom. Doors with peeling paint. Ugly, 70s/80s-era dressers and furniture. Ugly, heavy bedspreads. No HD/flatscreen TV. (Not that you come to Ptown to watch TV, but still.)

It's just sort of absurd that a room like this costs about $250/night, even with breakfast included. It seems like the owners of this place know they can get away with not putting in modern amenities because people will still come and pay top dollar. So they don't bother. But it's kind of disappointing.

The public areas of the hotel are dated too - there doesn't appear to be central a/c in the lobby, and there is an old musty smell when you walk through the halls. This morning there was a sign on the door of the lounge/bar area, that said "caution, wet stain inside door." Hmm.

The most modern public area I observed appears to be the public restroom in the main hallway, down from the front desk.

I don't have any experience with other hotels in Ptown, so I can't really say that you must stay away from here. But there have to be other places that are a better value. It's also a long walk from town.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank mfrose
ProvincetownManager, Front Office Manager at Provincetown Inn Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
We are sorry to hear that your stay was not what you expected. We take things very personally around here and we don't want our guest to be unhappy. The staff is working hard to make improvements in the rooms. The wood doors in the lounge were being stained and we just didn't want anyone to open the door and end up with wood stain on their clothing, etc. We have also started to update all of the televisions. If you decide to visit Provincetown again, hopefully we could accomodate you better. Thank you for your concerns. We really appreciate them.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Provincetown
Harbor Hotel Provincetown
Sandcastle Resort
Sandcastle Resort
#14 of 15 in Provincetown
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club

Been to Provincetown Inn Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!