“Smokey and dirty”

Best Western Rockland
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rockland
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I would suggest anyone looking in this area stay elsewhere.
We stayed here 1 night due to an event 20 min south. We had a choice of this or Holiday Inn as those were the only 2 places I could find in the area.

Pros
Older woman and a man at front desk were very pleasant and welcoming when we arrived late in the evening. I commend them for not just grunting and treating us like a number, as so many front desk people do.
Price-$149 including all taxes was I guess a decent price in this day and age

Cons
There is no elevator so you drag your bags up a flight of stairs. My son and I are athletic so not a problem for us.

The room smells very smokey. I have almost no sense of smell, which everyone always teases me about. Even I was hit by the smell of smoke when we entered our nonsmoking room. Ironically, I had nightmares all night about being in a building that was on fire--don't have to be Freud to figure out why I dreamt that. Really awful smell.

Noisy Air Conditioner--without the Air con the room was really stuffy. With it on it was like a plane was taking off--so loud and annoying it made it hard to sleep. I alternated between getting up and turning it off and boiling, or getting up again and turning the Air con back on to the loud noise. The refrigerator in the room was also super noisy.

Filth- The bedroom was ok, not too bad. But the bathroom, as you sit on the join there is a large heating vent and there is a layer, a huge, fat layer of dust/filth. Does the housekeeper not see it? I was going to wipe if down before we left the next day, but instead I stuck a wad of tissues in it so housekeeping would obviously take note of it. After we left my son told me he took the tissues out in case someone turned on the heat he didn't want to burn down the place. So the filth remains--and I mean like a thick layer, maybe it had been dusted 5 years ago type of filth.

Breakfast--My son and I never complain about hotel breakfasts because we figure something is better than nothing. But this one was beyond horrible. After I grabbed some scrambled eggs I searched for salt, but couldn't find any. I soon found out why. I love my salt, but one bite into these eggs and it tasted like a whole salt shaker was dumped in there. I think they were from a box? not real eggs, and very, very, salty (and this is coming from a salt lover).
My son never fusses about breakfast either and he declared his waffles the worst he ever had in his life. He couldn't eat them and he's a hungry, non picky teenage boy.
I noticed when bfast ends, 10:30 on the dot, they put everything away. One woman came down at 10:32 and was baffled. I guess here when they say 10:30am they mean 10:30am so there's a tip if you do go, don't be a minute late. We were fine, but as I say, the food was beyond awful.

I realize for $149 I should not be picky, which is why I don't care the decor was pretty old and tired and the carpet felt like it was so thin you were walking on concrete.
But the filth and the strong smell of smoke make me never, ever want to go back there again. If I have to stay in this town again I'd try the other hotel next door, but they didn't get very good reviews either.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Devesh K, General Manager at Best Western Rockland, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear Guest,

I, on behlaf of my staff would like to apologize to you for the Horrible Experience you had at our Hotel & truly appreciate your feedback. It is obvious you were not pleased with almost every aspect of the Hotel. We do take all reviews seriously & constructively & at the same time gives us a chance to rectify our mistakes & do even better so that the next Guest that walks in to our Hotel does not have the same experience as you did..

It concerns me & I would have wished that inspite of having such a Horrible Experience & so many problems you would have got in touch with me & at least given us a chance to take care of what you were going through. Unfortunately, we do not have elevators in the Hotel & had we known you needed a room on the First floor we would have accomodated you for the same. Normally we always get requests for having a room on the first floor. In regards to Breakfast, we do have quite a Large selection & Guests are really happy with what we serve but as I mentioned, I would have only wished you would have got in touch with me at the Hotel.. The room you stayed in as you mentioned smelled of smoke, again we could have changed the room for you if you were not happy..I do want to assure you that ever since our company has taken over the Hotel we have made a lot of improvements & are still in the process of doing so..Our rooms are already scheduled for a renovation in the fall of 2014.

Once again, we are extremely Apologetic..

Devesh Karani

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Have stayed here before. Clean, friendly, attractive, comfortable, good breakfast, convenient to restaurants and stores...perfect location when visiting friends or on business. It is also close to historic Hingham and to Cape Cod. We were here for a high school reunion and several of our classmates stayed at the same hotel, based on my recommendation. It made it very nice to socialize with others while at the hotel. I'll be back, for sure!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The Best Western in Rockland MA (outside of Boston MA) is a nice hotel. The staff was very helpful and friendly and we enjoyed the complimentary breakfast every morning. Lobby and rooms nicely decorated. Hotel seemed clean mostly even in the hallway. Room was nice and clean and the air worked and we enjoyed our stay there overall. Not a five-star hotel but a decent place to stay when traveling. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This motel was very convenient for our purposes of visiting Boston. You are 6 miles from the Braintree "T" station and if that parking lot is full the Quincy Adams station is two exits away. We also easily went to Cape Cod from the Hotel. The staff is very helpful. The breakfast is one of the best continental breakfasts around. The bacon was great.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I spend an average of 3 nights a week in hotels for business. When I'm working in this area this is where I stay. I've stayed @ almost every hotel chain located in area, both more and less expensive, and this is by far the best hotel for the money. Staff is accommodating and friendly. Rooms are clean, water is plentiful and hot, and it's quiet so you can sleep. Smile, if you must spend time in Boston traffic, you might as well be well rested and happy. ;)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Hamilton L
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Recently stayed here 2 nights for a business trip. Maybe 30 minutes from Logan airport except during morning rush hour when it took 75 minutes to return to the airport. I was on the first floor with my room not accessible from the lobby. You walk into the parking lot and get to your room from a hallway with an outside access (hallway locked after dark). Room was very acceptable and clean.

There are a few dining choices within walking distance (Dina's pizza, Bellas, etc)

The complimentary breakfast items were above average that even include scrambled eggs and bacon.

I will definitely return to this hotel for trips to our nearby office there. If you were interested in touring Boston, I would find something closer to the city but this one fit my business visit perfectly.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank gmorken
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Well located, clean, helpful staff, Too expensive. The area is expensive so I guess the price is competitive. In that case this was slightly lower than others in the area. The Italian resturant next door is also expensive but there are other good places to eat in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockland
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 3 in Rockland
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Rockland
Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree
Nantasket Beach Resort
The Inn at Scituate Harbor
Boston Marriott Quincy

Been to Best Western Rockland? Share your experiences!