“pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Halibut Point State Park
Ranked #1 of 31 things to do in Rockport
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Scramble across ledges scarred by the granite industry and examine tide pools teeming with marine life.
Newtown, PA
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 488 helpful votes
“pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2007

I recently took the wife out to Cape Ann and we grabbed a bite to eat in Rockport. Not being too familiar with the area, we stumbled upon Halibut State Park on the ride back. What a great find! With only a little time before sunset, we were able to take in the quarry and the scenic point on the water. It's definitely worth the stop and you only need an hour.

4 Thank relayer

Vienna, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Beautiful and interesting place along the Massachusetts coast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2006

My family and I vacationed on Cape Ann during July 2006 and we spent about two hours exploring this fascinating state park. It cost only $2.00 to park the car, and then we followed a shaded pathway for about five minutes to get to the old quarry. It looks like a natural lake until you realize it is all man-made. There is a nice museum there with friendly staffers, giving you the history of the place as well as info on fauna and flora in the area. We saw one of the three videos shown at the museum, created when Michael Dukakis was Governor of Massachusetts. The videos are shown on a modern rectangular flat screen monitor. Very nicely done. I am not sure if there is a beach to swim in the ocean within the park, as the coast seems to rocky in most places. Swimming is prohibited in the quarry as it is dangerous. The views are superb. My brother saw a hawk.

6 Thank Dennis1
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2002

This is one of the most breathtaking spots in all of New England, in my opinion--great views and atmosphere. I even proposed to my fiancee at the scenic lookout!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member