“Aerial photography deceptive-Inn is NOWHERE NEAR the beach!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Emerson Inn

Emerson Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rockport
“Aerial photography deceptive-Inn is NOWHERE NEAR the beach!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Deceptive advertising. You cannot even see the ocean from Emerson By The Sea unless you are in a premium room on the top floor. There is NO ACCESS TO A BEACH-THE BEACH THE PHOTO SHOWS IS ALL PRIVATE PROPERTY BELONGING TO SURROUNDING HOMEOWNERS

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank LikesHerBeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
white plains, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Great place to sit back and relax- from sitting in rocking chairs on the porch enjoying the view to excellent brunch we had a great time. Only issue I had was the staff were not very welcoming. Our last day there was a blonde woman working at desk who was clearly overwhelmed and yelling at another employee that she could't take it anymore while ignoring me. She was very unprofessional and should not have been venting in front of customers! Otherwise I would recommend - especially an ocean view room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Just spent a "girls weekend" with three friends. On arrival to the Inn we were happy with the appearance. Although it is about a 2.5-3.0 mile walk into town, it is doable. Our complaints were that their dining hours are minimal. Dinner was served until 9:00 but when we got down to the dining room at 8:00 we were the only ones dining. Our waiter Josh and the chef, Ben were both very accommodating and did not make us feel rushed; however, they were setting up the dining room for breakfast so we felt we couldn't stay and enjoy our dessert and coffee's. The following day they did offer a great breakfast that came with the room. No complaints there. But mid afternoon after returning from town and heading to the pool, we were surprised that their "pool-side menu" was not available. They did offer to see if they could find a restaurant that delivered and we declined. I feel that they are missing out on a huge financial opportunity by not offering enough meal options. Once again, we had to head back to town. They don't need an elaborate menu but they should have food available so that the guests do not have to leave the Inn to have a meal.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

This is a place we like to spend 4-5 days in the summer. Beautiful lawn, pool facing the ocean (can't go down in the ocean). A luxury breakfast is included. Staff are friendly and pleasant. A short drive to center town of Rockport or Gloucester is always fun to do. The only reason I gave a 3 to the room is because we booked late this time, the only room left was not very desirable, it smells, curtain doesn't work well, some work is needed. In all fairness,we had a beautiful room in 2012 and 2011. We will definitely go back every year. p.s. the Inn offers gourmet dinner.

• Stayed August 2013
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We will never return because the inn and it's staff gave no reason to want to come back.
Upon arriving we were greeted by a screen door held together by spit and a hope that it would even close.
The gentleman checking us in was pleasant enough but a smile would have been nice.
After the hike to our fourth floor room we were absolutely knocked over by the most foul smell of the air conditioning unit (it literally smelled like a wet animal cage) - we immediately turned it off - and were so very lucky the weather was pleasantly cool for August and were able to open the windows and enjoy the sea breezes.
The room was tidy enough but I sorta question the true cleanliness of the sheets.
We had traveled all day from Pennsylvania without eating in anticipation of enjoying the "well rated" fare the inn would offer. We asked the hostess for a table for two when their dining room opened at 5:00. Without any pleasantry or even a crack of a smile, she asked us if we had a reservation and we did not. She told us she would see what she could do and disappeared for a bit then returned and seated us on the screened porch (which was nice enough though a bit tired). Our waitress warmed up to us and became quite pleasant as the dinner went on. The food was good but very over priced.
The next morning we approached the front desk to inquire about the shuttle (we had read about) to take to the town of Rockport. She was on a quite clearly personal phone conversation and paused briefly to ask if we were checking out, we said no, she started to turn her back and continue with her conversation until we interrupted and let her know that we had an inquiry.
Her assistance seemed helpful until we tried to follow her instructions which turned out to be quite incomplete. She failed to let us know of the hour the shuttles began running so we were confused as to if we were @ the proper location, wandered the location for a bit, wandered Rockport for awhile, then finally returned to the shuttle location upon the start of their shuttling. Seems you have to milk the locals for helpful information.
We are not newcomers to residing in bed and breakfast inns and mostly prefer them when we want to enjoy the flavor and friendliness of a town. We are very comfortable to pay for a quality inn with quality service and accommodations. We chose the Emerson because it was listed in the Select Registry Inns of North America - which quite makes us wonder the standards "Select Registry" requires.
In general the Emerson by the Sea is tiered - both in their service (we were made to feel we were being done a favor by the staff, to assist us) and in their accommodations (our balcony posts were visibly rotted not to mention the previously mentioned a/c unit and true sheet cleanliness).
Their creative photography and description of themselves made us curious to stay with them but the true experience left us knowing - we will never return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anna M
Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

On a recent visit to Cape Ann, I felt the nostalgic tug of childhood and decided to book one of Emerson's highest-end suites. I had stayed in this hotel as a child with my family and recall it being like stepping back in time. No TVs, retrofitted air conditioning, old-style furnishings and a general air of something out of "Somewhere In Time." Thinking it would make for the perfect romantic getaway, I thought nothing of shelling out nearly $400 per night for a suite with a balcony overlooking the gorgeous cape. What I was greeted with was little short of a disaster, especially given the pricing tier. Service was acceptable, though I'll admit that I felt like I was being viewed skeptically by a young staff accustomed to catering to the blue-haired set (I am in my 30s).

Stepping into the room, I was immediately floored by the view... blinded by what is obviously one of the best locations in Cape Ann, and maybe the entire eastern seaboard. Once I'd settled in, however, I found myself irked by what can only be described a lack of attention to detail, given the price of the room. For starters? The desk lamps were unplugged. Coupled with the antiquated circuitry of the room, I was fumbling in the dark before finally contorting myself to plug both (!) lamps in. With night falling outside, I began to notice some of the less attractive details of the room. There were tears in the wallpaper, and there was excessive wear on the rug. The TV (though completely unnecessary, given the stunning view) was something from 1995 at the latest. The air conditioning unit alternated between wheezy and rattling. The room lacked any sort of closet, which I realize has more to do with the modern expectation of what a hotel room should be (and I was willing to forgive). The bed, on the other hand, was quite comfortable. As for the balcony, which was the major selling point of the room, it was nicely equipped with a mini-fridge for chilling beverages or leftover food. The luxuries end at this point. The railing, which served as the last line of defense to a 40+ plunge to the gravel below, was covered in rotting wood. At least 2 of the slats swung freely. A toddler could easily push through these. The rest of the finishing in this tight room was equally shabby. Flaking paint, rust, and all of the other things you'd expect from a roadside fleabag establishment, NOT a place that prides itself on being 5 stars all the way. One bright point as far as the room went was the bathroom. It appeared to be the only well-maintained area in the suite. It was suitably modern, well put-together and in good, working order.

Sadly, this horror story doesn't end here. The rooms include what is poised as a "deluxe" breakfast buffet. One that would cost a non-guest $18. Despite its sumptuous appearance, this breakfast was horrifying. I was once again reminded that the majority of my fellow guests were of the blue-haired set, and had to assume that the foods were made for them: not for a person with an educated palate. Eggs were underseasoned, pastries dry and dishes like french toast soggy and bland. I'm grateful that I skipped visiting the restaurant at any other time as I'm sure I would have been outright angry to pay $50 for a plate of rubbery scallops.

Finally, the rotten cherry on top of a sundae of pain was the housekeeping. My girlfriend and I aren't slobs, and generally do our best to keep a room in decent order, but again, when you're dropping a grand on a stay at a hotel, I would say that I expect more than having my bed made up. We returned to our room around 3 PM to find the cleaning service in the middle of doing their business on our floor and agreed to clear out. Returning later that evening, we were greeted by an ice bucket full of water made from last night's wine-cooling ice, the soiled glasses we'd used to drink the wine out of and general disarray on the balcony on which we'd hoped to spend most of our time. Frankly, I've received better cleaning service than this at a Motel 6. At least straighten up the coasters, rinse out the glasses and try for the illusion of cleanliness.

The sad lesson I learned here was that the demand for "quality" lodging on Cape Ann is so high that Emerson can get away with charging an arm and a leg for a poorly-maintained room, inattentive service and shoddy food. There are plenty of ways to see the Cape. Might be a better idea to pop on a newer hotel and just resolve to spend more time on the beach.

Room Tip: Skip the suites. Sit on a rocker on the front porch and get a similar, albeit less-private, experie...