“You will fall in love....”
Review of Emerson Inn

Emerson Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rockport
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I don't even know where to begin...I just want to burst out everything all at once! This place is great!

Seriously, in detail..I purchased the brew package. The price was more than reasonable for all we got...

The room..small, quaint, very neat. What I first saw...A king size bed, a chair, 2 bedside tables, a desk, and an entertainment center that has the TV and small fridge. Nothing huge and fancy. Just perfect.

Then the closet..2 bathrobes which you can use during your stay, an ironing board and iron.

Then the bathroom..not huge, but just the right size to fit an oversized tub with jets, the sink and toilet.

Did I mention the view?!?! We got a room with a seaside view. I had been excited to get some sleep while away from the hub bub of my crazy life, however, I chose to wake up at 6:30am to watch the sunrise. As I looked out the window, the sea called for me and drew me towards it. I just had to go outside in my pajamas with my smartphone to take 20 step by step pictures as the sun rose on the calm sea. I took so long my man finally came out to join me. :-) and yes, I posted them on Facebook.

Now...the dinner at the grand cafe. I wish I could post the pictures I took in this review. Off the bat, I thought a bit pricy, but hey, let's live a little. The wine list was fantastic, I chose the Malbec, an Argententian red which was as I expected it to be. I ooo'd and ahhh'd through every bite of my chicken roulade. Then, I magically made room for the chocolate banana cream pie. I'm not gonna say any more about that...just get it. My want for an after dinner drink inspired me to order the Jameson , franjelico , coffee and whipped cream. I could not fit another thing into my stomach, so I was allowed to bring it to my room, where I enjoyed every last sip.

Yup, not done. The next morning, we went for the continental breakfast, included in the stay --I normally frown "oh, continental breakfast.." Groan. This had them all beat. The choices available, and the fresh baked breads, muffins, juices, teas, coffee...you wouldn't miss a thing. But if you do, you can enjoy breakfast off the menu. Which we went back for after taking a hike from the Inn to Halibut Point State park. If you are active and enjoy the outdoors like I do, pack your hiking boots cause this is a trek worth making.

Back to the breakfast --Sunday jazz brunch. Yup, live piano. One of my favorite sounds. The food? Amazing, just like dinner. I had the eggs risotto. It was very hard to practice mindful eating, as all I wanted to do was keep shoveling it into my mouth.

Later, we enjoyed our personally scheduled tour at the Cape Ann brewing company. Since it was Sunday, I was very into the football game, so I asked if we could have our tour at halftime. They pleasantly accommodated. The waitstaff and food here was also superb, so I highly recommend the brew package...but I'll keep that part brief since this review is for the Emerson Inn. ;-)

There is afternoon tea, coffee and cookies every day starting ar 3 or 4. The cookies were awesome, and the coffee fresh. The brand of tea was mighty leaf, a favorite of mine, very good quality.

I slept well, the bed was comfortable, no one knocked on my door to clean the room at 9 am, the Inn itself was very peaceful. The people were very polite and nice. It felt homey and cozy, it wasn't too uppity, but very classy.

After I sadly checked out, I asked if I could just sit on the porch for awhile before I say goodbye, the sweet lady at the desk said, "as long as you like."

I have been to many nice places, but I always want to try a different place for fear I'll miss out on something better. I search no longer, I'm sure I will find no better than the Emerson Inn. I will come back here again and again to get away and relax, so you may even run into me.

Best wishes, I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did.

:-)

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank H211

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed here over Veterans Day and until the 13th. I took advantage of the complimentary night for Veterans. It was a perfect stay. I stayed in one of the little cozy rooms because I was by myself. The room was clean and comfortable. I had a great visit and found Newport to be a very relaxing and peaceful place full of friendly people. The staff was very attentive to my needs and comfort and a lovely afternoon tea was offered daily with cookies and cake. The food served for both breakfast and for one dinner that I had in the restaurant was excellent. I told my mother about it and she is considering going there with my father instead of their usual trip to Vermont when they want to get away. I would highly recommend this place. It offers a great seaside view. Come between Thursday and Sunday when the restaurant is opened.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We went the Emerson Inn's Brunch today and all I can say is OMG! We have been to a couple of their holiday brunch buffets before, which were always good, so when we heard that they were doing a weekly "Jazz Brunch", we figured it was worth a try. While the food has always been impressive, this is one of the best and most unique brunch menus I have seen around. All really fresh, big on flavors, and well executed. My omelette was perfect... not overcooked and rubbery and tasteless like so many places. We tried the lemon ricotta pancakes -- so light, so good. And the Bloody Mary bar is amazing. You get to customize your own bloody mary with whatever you want. Really cool idea. Prices are really reasonable for brunch and service was excellent. Even the coffee was really good, which is sadly a rarity in a lot of places these days. We will be back!

Room Tip: The brunch is a destination unto itself! Not to be missed. Possibly the best on the Northshore.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank VCHealing
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We knew that we were going to have a small room with only a double bed, so we were prepared. Since the bathroom didn't have any counter space, I set up the ironing board that was in the closet to put my things on. Worked great! Delicious breakfast - very elegant. Yes the inn is old & needs some work, but they were fixing the front porch while we were there. The morning chef & waitress were very friendly, also the woman at the front desk was very helpful. Nice sheets & towels. We were happy with our stay, but it is too far to walk from town.

Room Tip: Facing the ocean, of course are best.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank love2travel04572
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Yes, the rooms are on the small side, but they provided a bureau, desk with chair, two easy chairs and two twin sized beds. While we were situated on the street side, we had three windows, which brought in the lovely muted morning light. Sometimes you have to sacrifice convenience for authenticity. We found everything about our experience to be a total delight. While Yankees are not known for their warmth, we found each and every one of the people we met, from the owner to Christine, a waitress at breakfast to be especially friendly. The morning chef, Gail, went out of her way to chat us up and even offered to email a recipe for delicious sounding squash soup. (Our breakfasts were delectable too.) I was born at Addison Gilbert Hospital in Gloucester and grew up on Granite Street in this part of Rockport (Pigeon Cove) and even attended 1st to 6th grades at the Pigeon Cove School, which was many moons before they turned the building into condos. My husband and I both felt that the Emerson Inn was a treat and we'll be back in the future.

Room Tip: The Inn is right on the water. If you don't need to see the ocean from your room, you can certai...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PamelaFisk
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This hotel is right on the seafront but is a little way out of Rockport itself. It is part of the group of hotels "Historic Hotels of America". It is more like a country house than a hotel with antique style furniture. Quite small room and had a disturbed night due to the excessive noise from the central air conditioning unit and plumbing. Still well worth a visit as it is a one-off. Ate in the restaurant which was ok however, the steaks were a little tough. Licensing laws only permit alcohol to be served as part of a meal and there is no bar as such, but drinks can be brought through from the kitchen area by the waitress! A little antiquated in this day and age!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 206 as this may be the noisiest!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WAMMidlands
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Poorly decorated, and poorly maintained. A real travesty to see an "Historic Inn" poorly covered with aluminum siding. We paid top rate for a room and bathroom that was so small, you could hardly turn around. No place to sit, other than the bed.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank dnh3155
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
2 mi away
Cape Ann's Marina Resort
Cape Ann's Marina Resort
#6 of 7 in Gloucester
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites

Been to Emerson Inn? Share your experiences!