“Wow! Beautiful ! A new favourite M”
Review of Emerson Inn

Emerson Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rockport
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Wow! Beautiful ! A new favourite M”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed herd for two nights in March. We had visited Rockport before and wanted to stay on our recent trip to New England . It was out of Season but it was beautiful and although not all of the shops were open there were still things to see and a lovely coffee shop. This hotel is just outside Rockport in Pigeon Cove.
It is in a fantastic location over looking the sea. We had an ocean view room and we felt so close to the beautiful ocean and could hear the waves crashing in. Yes the rooms are on the small side but beautifully furnished and more than adequate . The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath from which I could see the sea through the window.
The hotel is stunning, beautifully maintained and it us like being transported back in time . It is simply stunning. The restaurant was only open at weekends which was a shame but our fault for not doing our research properly. We walked lots and enjoyed the rugged scenery and remoteness. Halibut state park is a short walk with lovely views and small and perfectly formed. The staff were helpful and happy to recommend places to go. We went to a restaurant in Gloucester for a meal as recommended and it was lovely. It was difficult to tear myself away from the view in the room and it was a shame that we couldn't hVe ordered a sandwich to have but that did not detract from our stay. The buffet breakfast is simple, fresh baked scones, waffles, bagels etc eaten in the beautiful dining room.I would recommend this hotel and we will definitely be back. We may come back to one of the cottages with our family . Thank you for a wonderful, quiet stay. I longed to sit on the veranda in a rocking chair so I will have to come back to do that in warmer weather

Room Tip: Have a sea view room. Well worth it x
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Woodbury, New York
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I was a regular at the Emerson except for the past two years. Nothing improved since then - We were given room 210 - two double beds since we had our daughter with us and I didn't get any sleep. Every time my husband or I moved the bed squeeked and moved a lot !! It is time for new beds!! We paid full price ( the advertised rate) - we found out once we were there that most guests used Living Social or trip advisor for specials ... My mistake. So we maybe should have been treated better. We ate at 9:15 pm with 730 pm dining reservations and the breakfast had a lot to be desired - not much of a selection and the hard boiled eggs weren't cooked. I complained when I left but I got a shrug ..... I will explore other options for next visit to Gloucester.

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Mara N
prolifictravels
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Check-in: quick, friendly, but not very accommodating. We checked in late, around 9pm and although we got a room with a view, we requested if it could be discounted since we weren't going to be able to get the most out of it. Our request was not entertained. (During our stay, we overheard other guests complaining about the same lady at the reception, Chloe; the elderly guests had specifically requested a room on the first floor and she denied them flat saying none were available- the property really was not very full at all- and instead, placed them on the third floor, which was rather troublesome for them given their age and lack of an elevator. Later, however, when they spoke with a gentleman at the reception, presumably the manager, he said they always had queen rooms on the first floor, and checked them right in! So, a message for Chloe: please work on making your guests comfortable and welcomed, it will go a long way toward the reputation of the Inn).

Room: we got 207, the Emerson, which had a lovely view and was on the second floor. The room itself was tiny as was the bathroom, but the view was largely unhindered (the pillars in the way obstruct the view a bit). The bed was small, and disappointingly very hard and springy. There was a tiny old TV in the room, not sure what purpose it would serve. The bathroom was clean and basic. The toiletries are generic. There was no turndown service, but that was alright. As other guests have accurately relayed, the walls are paper thin. There is free wi-fi which is great.

Breakfast: not much of one. It is a breakfast buffet (8-10am) with very basic items like juice, tea, coffee, bagels, self-make-and-serve waffles, hard-boiled eggs and yoghurt with some fruit (apples, oranges). They ran out of most things by 9:40am. The Grand Cafe and the Parlour rooms are dirty, have worn out upholstery, the chairs are torn in parts or dented, there is a lot of obvious neglect. The bar was left in a disgusting state from the night before with spilt drinks, rotting lemons, mint leaves, cherries, grease/dried drink marks crusted on the counter, dirty knives etc. - gross. I made the mistake of opening their bar fridge- rotting herbs.

This place really needs active management from the innkeepers- such a beautiful location, the older parts of the inn are lovely, and they could do so much better if the owners got involved!

I do want to add that for those who gave this place terrible reviews based on the fact that they "misrepresented" their closeness to the beach:

(a) There is no sandy beach opposite this property, all rocky, so not sure what beach access people have referred to.

(b) While the sea may not be a stone's throw away, it is beautifully viewed from the property and is just a walk across the garden. You can climb down the rocks to get closer to the sea.

I think the sea views are lovely from most rooms. They could have been closer to the sea, yes, by a bit, but, nothing like the sunrise I saw from this property- divine.

Room Tip: - Room 207: great view but right next to the stairwell. - There is NO sandy beach opposite this pro...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank prolifictravels
Essex, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I would like to say "Thank You" to the Emerson Inn and Melissa Hobbs. We hosted the reception after my brothers funeral there and Melissa Hobbs and her staff did an amazing job. They made sure every last detailed was covered and we had given them very little time to prepare, but it was flawles! The Inn was so beautiful and we couldn't pick a better place to celebrate my brothers life, his love for his hometown and the ocean. The service and food was excellent!! Thank you again Melissa and the Emerson Inn. We will forever be grateful and the Inn will always hold a special place in our hearts. All the best-Patrice Pellegrini, on behalf the Mariano Family

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I don't even know where to begin...I just want to burst out everything all at once! This place is great!

Seriously, in detail..I purchased the brew package. The price was more than reasonable for all we got...

The room..small, quaint, very neat. What I first saw...A king size bed, a chair, 2 bedside tables, a desk, and an entertainment center that has the TV and small fridge. Nothing huge and fancy. Just perfect.

Then the closet..2 bathrobes which you can use during your stay, an ironing board and iron.

Then the bathroom..not huge, but just the right size to fit an oversized tub with jets, the sink and toilet.

Did I mention the view?!?! We got a room with a seaside view. I had been excited to get some sleep while away from the hub bub of my crazy life, however, I chose to wake up at 6:30am to watch the sunrise. As I looked out the window, the sea called for me and drew me towards it. I just had to go outside in my pajamas with my smartphone to take 20 step by step pictures as the sun rose on the calm sea. I took so long my man finally came out to join me. :-) and yes, I posted them on Facebook.

Now...the dinner at the grand cafe. I wish I could post the pictures I took in this review. Off the bat, I thought a bit pricy, but hey, let's live a little. The wine list was fantastic, I chose the Malbec, an Argententian red which was as I expected it to be. I ooo'd and ahhh'd through every bite of my chicken roulade. Then, I magically made room for the chocolate banana cream pie. I'm not gonna say any more about that...just get it. My want for an after dinner drink inspired me to order the Jameson , franjelico , coffee and whipped cream. I could not fit another thing into my stomach, so I was allowed to bring it to my room, where I enjoyed every last sip.

Yup, not done. The next morning, we went for the continental breakfast, included in the stay --I normally frown "oh, continental breakfast.." Groan. This had them all beat. The choices available, and the fresh baked breads, muffins, juices, teas, coffee...you wouldn't miss a thing. But if you do, you can enjoy breakfast off the menu. Which we went back for after taking a hike from the Inn to Halibut Point State park. If you are active and enjoy the outdoors like I do, pack your hiking boots cause this is a trek worth making.

Back to the breakfast --Sunday jazz brunch. Yup, live piano. One of my favorite sounds. The food? Amazing, just like dinner. I had the eggs risotto. It was very hard to practice mindful eating, as all I wanted to do was keep shoveling it into my mouth.

Later, we enjoyed our personally scheduled tour at the Cape Ann brewing company. Since it was Sunday, I was very into the football game, so I asked if we could have our tour at halftime. They pleasantly accommodated. The waitstaff and food here was also superb, so I highly recommend the brew package...but I'll keep that part brief since this review is for the Emerson Inn. ;-)

There is afternoon tea, coffee and cookies every day starting ar 3 or 4. The cookies were awesome, and the coffee fresh. The brand of tea was mighty leaf, a favorite of mine, very good quality.

I slept well, the bed was comfortable, no one knocked on my door to clean the room at 9 am, the Inn itself was very peaceful. The people were very polite and nice. It felt homey and cozy, it wasn't too uppity, but very classy.

After I sadly checked out, I asked if I could just sit on the porch for awhile before I say goodbye, the sweet lady at the desk said, "as long as you like."

I have been to many nice places, but I always want to try a different place for fear I'll miss out on something better. I search no longer, I'm sure I will find no better than the Emerson Inn. I will come back here again and again to get away and relax, so you may even run into me.

Best wishes, I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did.

:-)

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank H211
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed here over Veterans Day and until the 13th. I took advantage of the complimentary night for Veterans. It was a perfect stay. I stayed in one of the little cozy rooms because I was by myself. The room was clean and comfortable. I had a great visit and found Newport to be a very relaxing and peaceful place full of friendly people. The staff was very attentive to my needs and comfort and a lovely afternoon tea was offered daily with cookies and cake. The food served for both breakfast and for one dinner that I had in the restaurant was excellent. I told my mother about it and she is considering going there with my father instead of their usual trip to Vermont when they want to get away. I would highly recommend this place. It offers a great seaside view. Come between Thursday and Sunday when the restaurant is opened.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Beverly, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We went the Emerson Inn's Brunch today and all I can say is OMG! We have been to a couple of their holiday brunch buffets before, which were always good, so when we heard that they were doing a weekly "Jazz Brunch", we figured it was worth a try. While the food has always been impressive, this is one of the best and most unique brunch menus I have seen around. All really fresh, big on flavors, and well executed. My omelette was perfect... not overcooked and rubbery and tasteless like so many places. We tried the lemon ricotta pancakes -- so light, so good. And the Bloody Mary bar is amazing. You get to customize your own bloody mary with whatever you want. Really cool idea. Prices are really reasonable for brunch and service was excellent. Even the coffee was really good, which is sadly a rarity in a lot of places these days. We will be back!

Room Tip: The brunch is a destination unto itself! Not to be missed. Possibly the best on the Northshore.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank VCHealing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Rockport Inn and Suites
Ocean House Hotel at Bass Rocks
The Seafarer Inn
The Seafarer Inn
#1 of 25 in Rockport

Been to Emerson Inn? Share your experiences!