“Not To Be Missed”

Price range: US$0 - US$15
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My wife and I were visiting Cape Ann, Massachusetts with our 11 year-old grandson. The staff at our lodging highly recommended "My Place by the Sea" for dinner. We thanked them later for a great recommendation.

This restaurant has it all...excellent food, service and ambience. As for the food, we all had lobster. My wife and I had lobster salad and our grandson had his first lobster ever...a lobster roll. He loved it. He is from Maryland area and I believe this lobster, along with his love of the Red Sox, may have finished his official conversion to New Englander. From the bread basket to the clam chowder, to the salads and entrees, to the dessert, the food at "My Place" is of outstanding quality.

The service, by a polite, knowledgeable and efficient young man named Luke, who seemed typical of the help, was also excellent. He was completely helpful without being intrusive. And he never once called us "guys" or answered a request with "No problem."

As for the ambience, the restaurant sits on Bearskin Neck where you can't get any closer to the Atlantic without getting wet. The view is beautiful.

You couldn't ask for more on all counts. In writing this review, I checked the box affirming that this was "one of the best meals (we've) ever had in a restaurant." We dine out a lot, and if "one of the best" means in the top five or ten percent, I would answer a resounding "Yes." The prices are not unreasonable, but they also are not cheap; there are more basic places around that area for travelers on a tight budget. My Place by the Sea is an experience everyone should enjoy at least once on a visit to Cape Ann. On our way out the door, one of the owners (the other is the chef, always a good sign) engaged us and thanked us for our patronage. The pleasure, as we told her, was really ours.

1  Thank Yankee26Soldier

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Recently ate dinner there on a busy Friday evening. We had a relatively large group of 10 people and they handled it very well. Sat on the patio which had a great view of the harbor. The food was very good and the service, by youngish, attentive waiters, was excellent. The manager (owner?) was there and extremely attentive to our needs. She, and her waiters, really made an effort. I was pleasantly surprised that such a nice place, with good service, existed in such a heavily touristed area. Definitely worth another visit!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Interesting, artistically presented seafood and other on the patio or glassed in restaurant area by Chef Kathy. We were delighted with baked swordfish with a tarragon bernaise sauce, and 3 seafood appetizers -- chunk lobster over avocado with a citrus glaze, shrimp spring rolls, and a crab cake (the only ordinary item we had). Beautiful view, fairly expensive, decent wine list -- but they could add more Sauvignon Blanc -- preferably some from New Zealand -- since the menu is heavily oriented toward fish and seafood. Very good coffee, great friendly professional service, simple but pretty décor. A special place.

1  Thank MfromCO
Reviewed 11 June 2014

A local man steered us to "My Place" and we were thankful. It was a very pleasant place for a quiet lunch. Many of the dining tables have excellent views of the harbor; there are tables both inside and outside. The wait-staff are young people who move briskly, under supervision by an alert manager. Our lobster (sandwich) was great.

The prices are appropriate to the high quality of the location, food, and service.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Went for dinner with my family and friends. Order a bottle of wine and provide our drivers licenses. Waitress says ok gives them back leaves. She comes back and asks us for more proof of our ages as they are not familiar with our ny state licenses. How many of you carry another id with your DOB on it? I talk to management and the rather rude lady indicates its their perogative to ask for more id. Thats fine but really? Im 48 obviously im not the issue. Two of the other adults were 24 and two were 21. All legal. We were most likely looking at a 300 dinner bill which they lost out on. Ended up down the road had great seafood at half the price and yes a bottle of wine that was half the price of My Place's cost and a much better view.

3  Thank Paula R