“Large portions”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We just had dinner at the Fish Shack the other night. We were lucky the food was so good and the portions were large because it's about the only place in town to eat during the week. Don't expect a cozy dinner and if you want the view go during the day.

1  Thank robstainedglass

Reviewed 10 November 2013

My wife and I visited the Fish Shack in November 2013 prior to going to an Arlo Guthrie Concert up the street. Unfortunately, Rockport is more of a summer visitor destination than a winter one and there aren't many restaurants open in Rockport. The Fish Shack wasn't our first choice, but since most of the other restaurants were closed for the season we didn't have much choice. Even the Fish Shack said it was closing for the evening at 7 PM. That being said, we visited the small restaurant on the waterfront in Rockport with an open mind. Since we were going to a concert after the dinner, we decided to skip the potentially messy lobster dinners (of which there were many). We both started with a cocktail. My wife had the house Merlot ($5) which she said was okay but not great. I had a martini off the specials menu which to me, tasted like a Kahlua Sombrero in a Martini glass. It was good but didn't feel like it had much of a punch. We both ordered the crab cakes (2) off the appetizer menu. Again, they were tasty, filled with crab but it wasn't lump crab. My wife said it was kind of mushy like tuna in a tuna sandwich. They were served on a small plate on a single piece of lettuce and came with a small plastic container of tartar sauce. The crab cakes were about $7.95. I ordered a dinner salad ($2) which came out in a wood style bowl and quite frankly was not visually appealing. It came wiith a side plastic container of creamy balsamic dressing. The salad was okay. My wife ordered the baked haddock with butternut squash and baked potato. (~$16.95). She thought the haddock and butternut squash were very good. She skipped the baked potato as she didn't want the extra carbs. I had the baked scallops with the optional provencial sauce, The scallops were very good and the provencial sauce was a tasty (garlicy butter) offering which seemed to go better on bread than on the scallops (at least to me). The sauce was an extra $1.50 and was served in a tiny bowl. The scallops were about $18.95. I had the blueberry pie for desert. It was served hot with some whipped cream (they didn't have ice cream). The waitress said it was store bought not home made and both my wife (who makes a very good blueberry pie) and I agreed, it was NOT close to home made. Again it was okay.

The restaurant had windows facing out over the ocean. During the day it would be a very nice view. At night, you couldn't see much.

Service was excellent but not of fine dinning status. The restaurant apparently is off the lobby of a small mall type area. The lobby was kind of barren and empty making you feel like perhaps you were in the wrong buidling. I suspect the lobby is shared between several small businesses. All in all the Fish Shack served up a decent but not at all spectacular dinner. I won't cross this restaurant off my list of places to eat, but I won't make a special trip to it either. So if you are up in Rockport going to a concert (as we were) don't be afraid to take in the Fish Shack. If you want to just go out to dinner in Rockport off season, skip this one. You can find better in Gloucester or Essex. You might want to try the lobster if you aren't going anywhere after.

1  Thank c2h5oh_1
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This restaurant is sitting directly on the ocean with spectacular views of the ocean and the great granite work of the last century. After labor day it is very relaxing since the tourist season has ended The owners of the restaurant also own Roy More lobster company right down the street which ensures the freshest lobster and seafood in the area . This is a great place to relax with a glass of wine while watching the sunset on the ocean the food is very good and there are daily specials that are well worth trying

1  Thank bubbia1
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My cousin recommended this restaurant and it didn't disappoint. The lobster was extremely fresh and was plenty to eat! Too bad we were too full for dessert - they looked yummy.

1  Thank debrachel
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Lobster great, burgers great, fish great, espresso martini great...service superb. Definitely worth a visit.