“Terrible could not get info on room” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Boston Inn

New Boston Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sandisfield
New Boston Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Sandisfield B&B and Inns
Massachusetts
“Terrible could not get info on room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

Tried to book every room in inn for an event called several times. Too busy serving lunch to answer questions. Called 4 times and left an e-mail...no one ever bothered to get back to me... Tried to get info on Halloween party later no one evr got back to me. Used to be a fun and friendly place with great food. What a shame it has come to this!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
      Rooms
1 Thank Angelic57

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Washington, DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

I was invited to a wedding in the Berkshires and heard that accommodations there are very difficult to find. To make sure I had a place to stay, my friend and I booked two nights at the New Boston Inn. We were very careful to ask for their cancellation policy since we were unsure of whether or not we would end up staying there, and were told that we had 2 weeks prior to the reservation to cancel.

My friends and I cancelled in advance of their policy and assumed that once we called and cancelled the New Boston Inn would cross our names out or enter into their computer that our reservation had been cancelled. Apparently, this was expecting too much.

One week after the wedding, my friend's credit card was charged for the stay at the New Boston Inn. We assumed there was a simple error on their part and she called prior to leaving the country for two weeks and left a message explaining the error as well as an email explaining the error. She never received any return communication. I then called in her absence to clarify and spoke to one of the three women on staff. She looked at the reservation book, saw that no one on their staff had recorded our cancellation, and essentially told me that bc she had no record of it, and I had no way to prove that we had called to cancel, she did not believe me. I pointed out that because the New Boston Inn provides no record of cancellation, nor do they call their guests to confirm reservations, we had no way of knowing that they had not entered our cancellation into their system (which she described to me as a ledger book that they write into in pencil). My friend, upon returning to the country, also called to try to explain that she had cancelled the reservation, but the staff person she spoke to refused to believe her.

I have never dealt with a company who was so utterly unresponsive to what I believe was a very reasonable, run-of-the-mill misunderstanding. When we first saw that my friend's card had been charged, I had no doubt that we could call the Inn and resolve the issue easily. She is now having to dispute the charge through her credit card company, or contemplate bringing a small claims suit against them, and go through a major inconvenience. Two weeks later I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Mystic, CT and the experience my boyfriend and I had there stood in stark contrast-- they were completely accommodating when he asked at the last minute to change a reservation and were courteous and helpful on the phone and in person. Although I realize that the two companies run different kinds of operations, it struck me how badly and unreasonably we had been treated by the New Boston Inn.

We have told our story to everyone who attended the wedding, including the groom's parents who live nearby and often have guests from out of town looking for places to stay. They will never recommend the New Boston Inn again.

• Liked — Its proximity to the event I was attending
  • Disliked — The awful service
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank LaidbackTraveler26
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

Be very careful if you are thinking about staying here. The unprofessional staff does not keep track of reservations whatsoever. I cancelled the reservation almost three weeks advance (well ahead of their cancellation policy) and they still charged my credit card for the full price of the stay. When I called to notify them of their mistake, they told me it was my responsibility to prove who I had spoken to. The staff was extremely rude and unhelpful when I called to make them aware of their mistake. The reason I cancelled is because there were much cheaper places to stay in the vicinity. I would definitely recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank JBP527
Cape Canaveral, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2008

I went to New England to visit my familywith my two teenagers and a boyfriend. They all are are native Floridians, and quite new to the Northeast.

They absolutely loved the inn, they had never seen anything that old (LOL!). It is a wonderful place,from the kings wood in the pub to the lovely wood floors upstairs, and all the history attached to the inn..

The proprietor treated us like royalty, and was very friendly, we felt like family. I'd recommend this inn to anyone, we had a wonderful time

• Liked — comfort
  • Disliked — I liked everything, but there is no wireless internet access, and it is a dead spot for my cell phone service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2007

Went there for drinks with some out-of-town friends after a funeral. After announcing last call (at 8 pm) and taking our money for a round of cocktails at 7:55 we were rudely told that we had 10 minutes. My wife and the other women in the group are unaccostomed to chuggung a martini in 5 minutes (after we were told we had 5 minutes ). We were then told to leave (leaving unfinished cocktails on the table). When we stepped out the door, all outside lights were turned off leaving us in pitch darkness.At this point there was a minor confrontation with the manager.
This is an old restaurant in the middle of nowhere.
We were there less than an hour.
We spent $75.00 (2 men, 3 women)
We are professional people who regularly dine out.
This place used to be OK ------ It is a place to now be avoided.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Otiville
Msinnnbi, Owner at New Boston Inn, responded to this review, 6 December 2007
The New Boston Inn is a professional Establishment, we are not Bar type seen, people come here to relax and have dinner, Drinks do not cost $15,00 per person here and never will. Though I can not say there wasnot a problem or do I remember they're being a problem (seeing I also Manage the Inn and I was there that night) I'm not A custume to throwing my guest out of my Inn, but we do have last call at 8:45 when the Bar closes for the night at 9, course if you were to be staying at the Inn, The Bar would be open for the guest of the Inn, I'm sorry they had such a "Miserable" Time 99% of the people at come here al aways Happy and Charmed. Barbara Colorio Innkeeper Owner

Been to New Boston Inn? Share your experiences!