“Mixed experience”

Cuisines: American, Pizza, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I took my family here for lunch. The restaurant seemed nice but there seemed to be one server for the entire restaurant, which at the time included about 8-10 parties. We sat down, within about 10 minutes the hostess came over and took our drink orders since it was acknoweldged that the waitress was a little busy. Within about 5-10 minutes our server brought us our drinks and took our order. We waited at least another 20-30 minutes before the server walked by and let us know that our meals should be out soon. About 15 minutes later our server walked by and I asked if our meals were ready and she said that she would check. Within about 5 minutes our meals came out. The food was good and fine for the price. Spending well over an hour on lunch is not ideal. I think I would visit the restaurant again since we all seemed to like our meals, however if we have to wait this long the next time it would certainly be our last trip. I'm giving the service a poor review not because the server did anything wrong but because the restaurant had one waitress taking care of the dining room during lunch on a Saturday. My guess is that someone or multiple people called out sick (at least I hope thats what happened) but guests shouldn't have to wait that long for lunch.

1  Thank jellis677

Reviewed 13 April 2014

After a morning of yard work, my husband and I stopped in the Sandwich Taverna for lunch. We had a friendly greeting at the door and headed for the bar. The bartender was friendly as well and very attentive. I had not been in quite a while, but the memory of the delicious pulled pork sandwich I had had remained with me, and I was happy to see that it was still on the menu. My husband ordered the Cuban sandwich, which is ham, Swiss, sauerkraut and some type of seasoning sauce. We both ordered the tater tots with our sandwiches, rather than the fries and they were unbelievable. Several daily specials and bar specials were also available, in addition to the regular menu and prices are very reasonable. Sandwich Taverna is worth the stop.

1  Thank millbilly618
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Hadn't been to "The Taverna" in a couple, three years. Last time we came we had less than exceptional food/service to be polite, however, can't help but take note of the differences.
Our food last night was much better prepared/presented.
My wife, my three children and I had ordered a mix of items. My son ordered a junior steak (or a kid's steak) and it was cooked perfectly having stolen a bite or two, good size for a child's serving, and came along with tasty french fries and veggies. My wife had a salad that she was very pleased with and my daughters both had pasta dishes that they both liked.
I had a teriyaki steak entrée that was cooked to order and perfect. Great flavor, just right.
Truthfully we had stayed away from Taverna for a while -- but will be sure to return regularly if they keep up the good work.
They need to figure out a way to knock down a bit of the noise from bar area and make what is a very spacious dining area a tad more cozy/warmer.

1  Thank Jack H
Reviewed 9 November 2013

The food is average. The service was awful. It took 40 minutes to get an appetizer. They came out with the wrong one. The manager came over and didn't seem to concerned we waited for 40 minutes or got the wrong order. He just there seems to be a misunderstanding. Then our app came out with our main meal. Again, the staff didn't seem to care. I would stay away from this restaurant; they are many other better options in the area.

2  Thank Peter T
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We are locals, and in Sandwich there arent many choices of good bars to go to to watch sports games. We were excited about the World Series and decided to go to Taverna to watch game 3. Right from the minute we walked in the door we totally felt like they couldnt be bothered by us. We had a group of 8 of us. We had called ahead to make sure they would have their big screen pulled down in their "main" dining area and they said yes. We arrive to find they had that section closed for a private party. We went to the bar area, which mind you is pretty tiny. There were 2 bartenders behind the bar. The girl finally came over to us, took our order but then proceeded to just put all our beers on the bar. I actually had to get off my stool everytime to get our drinks. We asked numerous times for a menu. Again, everytime we wanted something they made us feel like we were being royal pains. I would think businesses this time of year would welcome people. One of the men that works there, I believe he is the bar manager maybe, does nothing but drink and sit and socialize with people. At one point he actually had the nerve to turn the TV we were watching towards where he was sitting. Needless to say, everytime we "give the taverna another shot" I am always so mad we do. I have finally reached the point where i can say "I will never go back". My brother said something to the older manager on the way out and he was immediatley defensive. Way to treat your customers Taverna!

1  Thank livelocal57