“British Tea Service”

Dunbar Restaurant & Tea Room
Ranked #18 of 66 Restaurants in Sandwich
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Dunbar House Restaurant & Tea Room, in an idyllic New England setting serves, lunch and afternoon tea seven days a week from 11-5 with an all new wine bar and English tavern, and outdoor seating overlooking beautiful Shawme Pond.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

If you want an interesting luch, British Tea style, this is the place. Assorted finger sandwiches, soups, salads, and pro0baly 30 kinds of tea. Interesting, different experience. Try it.

1  Thank Steve G

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My sister and I had a leisurely lunch here during our stay in Cape Cod. The food was delicious and there was a variety of choices on the menu. We were seated outside on the patio and it was a beautiful setting with huge tall trees, green lawn and flowers all around. There was even a classical guitar player providing music. The service was very unhurried, so make sure you have time to savor the setting as well as the food.

2  Thank AdventureSis
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Went here with 3 girl friends for lunch (it was a Sunday). We were not sure what to expect hearing some mixed reviews, but had heard enough positive to give it a try ourselves. We got there and it was busy, but not crazy. We did some shopping in the gift shop and within a few minutes we were seated in a beautiful room with plenty of windows overlooking the pond/lake across the street. We started with tea! Why not, we are in a tea house, tea was great. They were very knowledgeable of the seemingly endless options they have to offer. From there we moved on to sandwiches and someone at my table had the special (some kind of fish in puff pastry). I wish I got that, cause it looked amazing. The wait staff was great. Very nice and helpful recommending food. That came in real handy when it came to the vast array of deserts! Oh my, there were so many. We ordered 4 deserts that our server recommended and they were just to die for.

We left very happy and full. Our experience was great and didn't match up to some of the negative reviews on this site. I guess my take on this place is this:
If you are looking for some sleepy, old, boring, tea shop - this is not a place for you.

If you are looking for amazing food, busy with people and decor with unbeatable views that people actually want to go to, then this place if worth a visit. We will be back for sure.

4  Thank Jessie C
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was looking forward to revisiting the Dunbar tea room and I was not disappointed! I can not say enough about my experience here- it was everything i had hoped for and more. I had been looking forward it revisiting this restaurant since my last visit that I had enjoyed so much and. Once again had such a lovely experience. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was very friendly and super professional. I have read some the reviews posted here and I have to say I quite disagree with some of the negative comments. I adore this place and will always look forward to coming back. A true gem on cape cod.

2  Thank llaham
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We went to this tea shop for lunch on a Monday in June. The setting is beautiful, opposite the grist mill and the picturesque pond. We sat outside and clearly it is a popular place with ladies who lunch. I would say this cafe would be fine if you have a whole afternoon to devote to lunch and if you don't mind paying a lot for your lunch. The service was absolutely terrible. We were served, during the course of the lunch, by 3 different waitresses (not including the owner) and clearly there was a lack of communication between the servers. Having waited for over half an hour for our lunch (all uncooked food), we mentioned to the waitress we were on a schedule and she said she would let our server know. After we had waited over 45 mins for our lunch, we noticed a nearby table, who had been seated and ordered after us, had been served their meal, we asked to see the manager to find out where our lunch was. The owner (Paula, who appears to own it with a man called Jim) came over and told us our lunch was taking longer because it had to be cooked. We pointed out we were not having cooked food (2 ploughman's lunches and a piece of cake) and she said it was busy and she had not hired her summer help yet. We then pointed out she had lost a customer who had got fed up of waiting and she said customers have to wait because it was busy. because of their excellent reputation. She then walked off.....not a single word of apology. In the end, we waited an hour for our food and a nice young waitress asked us, after a few minutes, if our food was ok and apologised for the wait. The owner should take a customer service lesson from her young waitress. They must get a lot of through traffic so perhaps they don't care about repeat business or their reputation, but given the amount of poor reviews this tea shop has received, I would recommend you not go to this very expensive tea shop and go somewhere friendlier.

3  Thank SamandPhilip864