“One of Cape Cods Top 5 Fine Dining Restaurants. A must !!”

Belfry Inn and Bistro
Ranked #4 of 8 Sandwich B&B and Inns
Cotuit, Massachusetts
“One of Cape Cods Top 5 Fine Dining Restaurants. A must !!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

First let me say that we wondered how reviews differed so much from on review to another. Then we went and it became clear that the food at the Belfry is at a level of quality that is sometimes misunderstood. .This restaurant is like no other on Cape Cod. This 1900 old church now restaurant has a stunning dining room with 50 ft ceiling, stain glass windows every where, well spaced table dress in white cloths, lots of carved oak, a fire place and a bar " Alter height" (two steps up) with an oak bar and high tops. There is music from a baby grand softly playing. The service is welcoming and prompt. Most of the staff has been here for some years and it shows. They know how to please.
The food is not the average offerings found through out the Cape. The drinks a well made, their wine list is tops; There are offerings such as FOIE GRAS; Which we loved. Crispy Oyster Sliders on brioche that we really enjoyed; And a caesar salad which we thought was one of the best we have had in years.
For our main course I had Braised Short Ribs which took only my fork to break the apart. So rich with just the right amount of seasoning. We also ordered an amazing Spring Lamb Loin that was one of the best meals we EVER have eaten. We really enjoyed their house made desserts. Their version of molten Chocolate cake was the best. Coffee was hot and bold. With the Food and service offered at the Belfry and the amazing dining room we insist this is a TOP 5 CONTENDER on Cape Cod. They also have Sunday brunch which we plan on trying; I'll post our review when we go. They offer lunch which we saw a menu and its very nice, well priced and they have a beautiful patio. The rooms/ suites are like no other on Cape Cod. The location is just great. And the Inn keeper Chris is so welcoming and knows what customer service is all about. His house keeping staff follows his direction very well. Great Job too all !! Thanks.

Room Tip: If you can stay in the old church. All rooms in both building are very nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank servicefoodie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The only reason I am not giving 5 stars is that Housekeeping seems to have missed our room one day and it did not get cleaned that day. However, we are repeat customers and the room was comfortable and excellent for the two of us to spend time together. I can chalk that one mistake up to human error. We will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Seth Room which I cannot recommend. It is a beautiful room located on the ground f...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My husband and I and friends have enjoyed the fine dining at Belfry for quite a few years. Our experience last weekend was a profound disappointment. ???? New chef maybe? Service was the usual very good..menu disappointing. Husband ordered clam chowder....was served out of pitcher into bowl...tiny amount..unusual and not especially good. My salad was flavorless. Entrees were limited and not up to accustomed standards. We were very disappointed...Will have to check carefully before we return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lynne B
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My husband and I had read about this place about a year ago. We finally made it back to the Cape Cod area in October and this place was our first stop. We had a wonderful dinner. We sat by the fireplace, so it was quite cozy and romantic. The food was amazing and fresh. We did not stay here, but next time we are in Cape Cod, we will certainly book.

Room Tip: Even if you are not staying at this property, you must make it here for dinner.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Orange, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My husband and I were made to feel very welcomed the minute we walked through the Belfry door. Very personal service. Our room was lovely with a very cozy and comfortable bed. We had a fireplace and a Jacuzzi to add to our experience. In the morning, we were warmly greeted by Lynn at breakfast. Breakfast is provided and the selections are varied and delicious. The Belfry, a former Catholic Church, has been remodeled as a restaurant with six suites for guests. It has been remodeled using many of the salvaged pieces of the church; i.e., the pews are now headboards for some beds. The stained glass windows have been used to accent the rooms. The Tuesday Room is especially beautiful. My husband enjoyed speaking with the owner about the engineering of the project.
We also dined two nights in the restaurant. Service was excellent and the service unhurried. We lingered over cocktails, watch out for their Cosmos, and appetizers. My husband and I both agree that dinner, filet mignon and short ribs, was one of the top three we have experienced.
We enjoyed our stay and will certainly return.

Room Tip: Look at the website for the Belfry. Choose a room that suits your personality. Each room is unique...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
new york, new york
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I was so excited to stay in the "Tuesday" Room at The Belfry for my birthday in late November over Thanksgiving weekend. Everything about the inn was amazing, including the comfortable bed, the cozy fireplace, and the amazing bathtub (which even has colorful lights)! My fiancee and I were impressed by the generous breakfast selections included in the room rate, with something for everyone (french toast, waffles, omelets, scrambles, oatmeal, etc.). We also dined at the restaurant for my birthday dinner which was also so tasty. Highly recommended! A stay here is worth your money, I never wanted to leave!

Room Tip: The Tuesday Room is stunning!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The Belfrey Inne has 3 main buildings and we stayed for two nights in the Painted Lady building, which was beautiful, clean and had an in room jacuzzi which was excellent (though note, due to the fact you had to clamber in, the jacuzzi was probably not suitable for travellers in their older years). The staff we met when we arrived were very friendly and helpful. We ate both nights in the restaurant (in the main building which used to be a Catholic Church and which still has stained glass windows), and the food was of very good quality. First night, I had cod in Cape Cod - and second night I had a sandwich in Sandwich! Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandwich
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Holiday Inn Cape Cod-Falmouth
Dan'l Webster Inn & Spa
Dan'l Webster Inn & Spa
#1 of 8 in Sandwich

Been to Belfry Inn and Bistro? Share your experiences!