“The Charm of a New England Fishing Village”

The Inn at Scituate Harbor
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Scituate
New Canaan, Connecticut
“The Charm of a New England Fishing Village”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I decided to take off with my three kids on a whim. We used to live in a neighboring town and knew how delightful Scituate was. The location of the Inn is perfect for walking and taking in the scenery. The staff was delightful. Peggy got a roll away bed for the extra large child who doesn't share. We had a room with two beds and plenty of room for the cot. The view from room 29 of the harbor was breathtaking. The breakfast was fresh and beautiful every day. Even the coffee was great! There are some renovations going on soon, so the rooms will change some, but I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank FarmerBarb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed for one night at the Inn at Scituatewith my husband and son. It is ideally located - both in terms of being right on the water and in proximity to walking into town. The view from our room was lovely. In addition, the innkeeper was SO nice. I felt completely welcome there.

However, I was disappointed in the stay for a couple of reasons. My main complaint is that our room was very musty. I know the inn is near the water, and it is damp, but the room did not smell good. It was really rough on our allergies! I think I should have turned on the AC right away to dry it out, but it was not hot out and I try to be conscious of my carbon footprint... Anyway, when I turned on the air conditioner in the morning, the room was much better.

There was a notice in the room that they are in the process of updating furniture and decor. That is good, because the Inn at Scituate is pretty outdated. It is in need of modernizing big time, but my son was thrilled with the big flat screen tv in our room.

Overall, I have to give this inn a mediocre rating. The bones and service are there, but it just does not measure up in the grand scheme of things.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Josie B
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed at the Inn at Scituate Harbour for 2 nights while in town for a wedding. Because we made the booking so far in advance, they kindly upgraded us to a King room, which was very spacious and had a nice view of the Harbour. The water pressure was pretty awful, not what you want when you're trying to prim and preen for a formal occasion. The sound proofing left a lot to be desired. We could clearly hear the phone call going on in the next room (lucky it was my uncle) and the slightest movement of the people upstairs was a real racket in our room. A basic breakfast was included. Overall, the experience was ok, but I wouldn't rave...and I've been known to.

Room Tip: Try for a top floor room to minimise neighbour noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DrBron
Colorado
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Nice location, Quaint little Fishing village. I had a great fishing trip with Mass Bay Guides. Hotel Staff was very friendly. Great if you are coming in to Boston and need a little old school New England getaway.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
boston, ma
Reviewed 21 April 2013

My now-husband and I stayed here the night before our wedding and on our wedding night. We were told we had the "best room in the hotel" but it was very dated and the bathroom was tiny. We didn't really mind this until the morning of our wedding when we both had to take COLD showers with incredibly weak water pressure. I called the front desk and they offered to take a look at the water. A guy came up and did something to it but by that time it was way too late--we had already showered and had to get going. We didn't bother with the shower and left early the morning after the wedding. I am not one to complain about hotels, but this was overall a very disappointing experience. They didn't offer us any recourse or compensation. It didn't ruin our wedding day, but you can bet we won't be back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank katerpops
Lyndaf1, General Manager at The Inn at Scituate Harbor, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
We are sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced. I am glad our maintenance technician, who was sent to your room immediately, was able to fix the situation. When your mother booked your room it was because it had a beautiful view, two windows and was a corner room, although a bit smaller, it offered more privacy for your wedding night. We have many repeat guests who specifically request this room over and over again. The Inn was reopened in 2009 and since then has had many updates throughout, including 40 inch flat screens, IPod docking stations, new bathrooms, carpeting windows, window treatments, refrigerators and bedding in all rooms. The furniture, currently hand painted Hitchcock furniture made in New England, is being replaced in June of this year, completing the update process. We are very excited about this and hope that you will give our The Inn at Scituate Harbor another try!
Boston
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We had a great stay here with two kids, two and under. The suite was nice and big we even brought the baby walker and a tricycle. the kids loved it! There's a fridge and microwave in the room too. The linens were super soft and the pillows were great, they give you varying densities to choose what you like. The toiletries were crabtree and Evelyn. We had the pool to ourselves which was nice, the water was comfortable temperature. Yessss I agree with other reviewers, the walls are super duper duper THIN!! But all we did was put some white noise on the radio and barely heard a thing. We ordered some pub food from the bar which was decent, coffee and free continental breakfast in the morning was decent too (fruit, yogurt and pastry). Its all so close, a walk down a flight of stairs, no further than in your own house. I would recommend the suite for a family, its comfortable and big. There's also a curtain to separate the seating area from the beds, which is nice when the kids go to sleep. We only paid about $200 off season, great value for the room and location.

Room Tip: Bring a white noise machine, the walls are very very thin.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tsnm
Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Friendly staff, great location, dated yet clean room with thin walls, pretty good continental breakfast. But otherwise a thumbs down...

The big issue is that we were told when we reserved a room that there would be entertainment and a NYE party in the hotel bar. Upon check in we were told, only after mentioning the bar, that it was closed. Strike 1. Then we were told about about construction in the pool area - new flooring was getting installed - we could still use the pool but be careful. Strike 2. And due to the construction the ice maker was shut down. Strike 3.

Hello, it's New Years Eve - not really a good time to close your bar or perform construction.

Scituate harbor mostly has restaurants and closes early on NYE - that's why we booked at a hotel with a bar and entertainment. We had to notify friends who were to join us at the bar that we had to cancel.

There was no offer of a discount or anything aside from an offer to get ice if we really needed it. They should have at least had the courtesy to notify customers about the bar being closed ahead of time so that we could have made alternate plans.

We made the best of it but doubt we'll be back.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank jms02050
Lyndaf1, General Manager at The Inn at Scituate Harbor, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
I apologize for any misunderstanding, however our bar was never scheduled to be open on Monday, New Year's Eve. Our winter bar hours are Thursday-Saturday. Our pool was always open and the desk clerk was simply saying that we are installing new tile in the vending machine area and she wanted you to be aware of that but it did not have any bearing on your enjoyment of the pool. The ice machine was located in that area and had to be moved but we do have another ice machine and as you stated the desk clerk was accomodating and was able to fulfill your needs. Hotels are a 24/7 operation and we do the best we can to work around the business of the hotel and the comfort and service of our guests. I believe we did an excellent job of that.

I also am not sure if you recognized this but when you made your reservation your rate was $219 and when we lowered our rates (because New Year's Eve was on a Monday) we refunded you $50, not because you asked but becuase we thought it was the right thing to do. So I do hope you will consider staying again. Our staff and location are the best and we have ordered all new furnishings for the guest rooms to update them!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scituate
Nantasket Beach Resort
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 3 in Rockland
Hotel 1620 Plymouth Harbor

Been to The Inn at Scituate Harbor? Share your experiences!