“Great place to stay”

Nichols Guest House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 3 Seekonk B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is a great B & B to stay at when you are in the area. Dorothy and Walt are great hosts with wonderful conversation and terrific breakfasts. My wife and I have stayed here many times and look forward to our return visits. If you need a nice place to stay, this is it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 August 2013

As this was our first B&B experience we have nothing to compare it to. However, it was charming, clean and comfortable. Walter and Dorothy were both warm and friendly. They made us feel welcome as soon as we arrived. Our room (largest of the 3) was bright and decorated in a homey, old fashioned style. The king size bed had a feather topper and was very comfortable. We were surprised to see a flat screen TV on the dresser. The window air-conditioner and ceiling fan helped to keep us comfortable in the summer heat. We also enjoyed the small sitting room on the same floor as the bedrooms. When we were sitting outdoors, Walter surprised us with some glasses of ice water to cool us off in the hot afternoon -- unexpected and welcomed.

The breakfasts were a real treat. The table was set differently both days. The variety of food should satisfy any one--we tasted everything and it was all delicious. We enjoyed the camaraderie of both the guests and owners during and after eating.

We would recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone going to Seekonk.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank spirit13_13
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed at this picturesque B and B last weekend. We had a room with a king bed and private bath. The house was very clean and we found thoughtful touches throughout. The proprietress, Dorothy, was great to talk to and made two wonderful breakfasts during our stay. Walt was also very helpful and fun to talk with. He even drew us a map by hand to show us the best way into Providence. Overall a great weekend at a laid back B and B. We will stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BassoII
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Hello Everyone,

I travel often on business and my preference typically is a bed and breakfast, of course my employers prefer a chain hotel. So whenever I have the chance to stay at a B & B for personal reasons I do. I consider myself quite fortunate to have read about The Nichols Guest House in Seekonk, MA.

I had to return to Boston rom the west coast due to my daughter’s illness, she is attending college in Boston. Despite the fact that most days are spent in Boston going to Dr.’s, hospitals and meetings; to me it is worth the drive to stay at The Nichols House.

I met with Dot, the owner. Dot is a warm and lovely woman. I told her how much I loved lilacs and she made a beautiful vase of them for me to have in my room, quite thoughtful. Warm and lovely are needed at the end of a very stressful day for me. Walt, the house manager is outgoing, polite and he and Dot make a great team.

For me the most important criteria is a place where the owner/s are friendly, inviting, warm. A B&B must give me a sense of comfort and peace and without question the Nichols House does that in abundance.

Once I pull into the driveway with the welcoming lights on in the windows; immediately I feel relaxed. It is obvious that this B & B has been built upon very high standards. It is impeccably clean; all the essentials are there if I may have forgotten my shampoo or toothbrush.

Once in my room, I call it “my bed” for when I am done for the day, I can’t wait to say hello to Dot and Walt, then say good evening and then go to my room, get settled, I take a shower and once I get into one of the most comfortable beds I’ve ever slept in I get the ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh….feeling.

I recently took a bad fall and need to have shoulder surgery and their bed is the only one I can sleep on that does not cause my shoulder anymore pain than is already present.

NO…they did not pay me for this review. *smile* They deserve this review. These are my heartfelt words. I know what it’s like to be on the road, tired, hungry, wanting a clean, safe, warm, friendly place to stay and I’m very lucky I crossed paths with Nichols Guest Rooms. They are close to shopping and the highway. Very convenient.

As a fellow traveler or even for someone that just wants a night or two away in a peaceful, comfortable environment give Dot or Walt a call.

I have no doubt that you will be glad you did…I am.

Alexis L

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We went on this trip to visit family in the area, and was looking forward to a little quiet time together. The best advice I can give is to read all the reviews and then decide if this B&B is for you. We have stayed in quite a few B&B's and was expecting a similiar experience. I have to keep in mind that each place we stay in is unique. This is obviously a family's home that was turned into a business once the children were grown and out of the house.
Walter and Dorothy are very nice people. I read the reviews, and felt the majority were good, and this would be a nice place to visit. I understood the home is an older house (over 200 years old!) and has been in their family for years. The first thing I noticed that the stairway was narrow, and was cluttered with teddybears on each step, it made it a little difficult getting the luggage up the stairs - I was afraid we would knock them down, as well as a possible hazard in an emergency. We stayed through a snowstorm and never felt the house shake from the wind - they knew how to build them back then! The town did a great job in plowing the roads, and Walter did a great job clearing the parking area. The house itself was a little cooler than I was used to, but the room ( Eleanor) had an electric heater in the fireplace and it warmed the room nicely. The room was a lot smaller than I expected- but back in the day, they didn't have a need for larger rooms - The kingsize bed was actually 2 twins with a topper over it. Giving the size of the stairway, a kingsize mattress would not have fit. The side closest to the door was a little bit more used..I guess people tend to sleep on that side (the oher side had 12 inched from the wall to the mattress) but it made it difficult to cuddle- it felt like we were going against gravity all the time.
The TV didn't have any premium stations, but the free wifi worked well, and I was able to watch programs on my tablet.
The bathroom was another story, I would have to say it would be the main reason we would not stay here again. I do not know what any of the other rooms were like so I can only speak about this room. The bathroom was, I assume, added on once they decided to make it a B&B. the toilet was small and low to the ground, and the shower stall had sliding doors that really needed to be pushed back to use the toilet comfortably, it reminded me of a bathroom on a cruise ship I was on, in the 70's....except that one had a sink in it. The sink in this room is on the outside of the bathroom, meaning that people didn't wash their hands before opening the door <shudder> I did use cleaning wipes as soon as I noticed this. The door to the bathroom is a bifold louver door - so you hear everything, and although one would assume that you know the person you are sharing the room with well, there is something to be said for bathroom privacy in a relationship! Good thing we both had a sense of humor - and didn't eat the beans when they were offered at breakfast! LOL
It would have been nice to have a sitting area outside of the bedroom to sit and read in, or the ability to have a cup of tea to ward off the winter chill. They did offer the living room downstairs, but it was chilly and I felt uncomfortable to just go down and sit there.
The breakfasts were very good, and there was a lot to be enjoyed. They took into consideration that one wanted regular and the other decaf coffee, and will work with your dietary restrictions.They join you for breakfast, and they do like to share their life's experiences with you. They have a wealth of information regarding the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Ddtisme, Owner at Nichols Guest House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2013

It has been challenging to convert an 1800's home into a guest house. Self contained rooms with doors were originally constructed to be heated by fireplaces. A central steam radiator heating system was added at a later date and is supplemented with individual electric flame stoves to enable each room to adjust to the temperature preferable to the occupants.
The staircase has miniture teddy bears tucked between the rail spokes. They've never created a problem. However, to alleviate any further concern, they now are angled with their tiny paws in the hallway versus the stairs. Staircases should be a consideration for the less agile when choosing where to lodge.
Many people like the sink in the room since one can shave and free up the use of the bathroom. Ventilation was a factor when selecting the bathroom door design.
The innerspring mattresses are topped with thick feather mattresses for added comfort and a throw back to the time period of the house.
Some people use the space outside their rooms more than others. Guests are invited to use the common areas which include a coffee/tea bar located between the dining and living rooms.
"Do not disturb" is the motto assumed for those who choose to stay in their rooms. Communication is the key: Please let me know while here what you need/like when I can meet that need versus in this forum. One can gladly have tea/coffee anytime.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

All was lovely during my time spent at the B and B. It was wonderful to meet Walter. He made my stay there feel as if I was a member of his family. I traveled from North Carolina to Seekonk and fell asleep in the king size bed as soon as my head touched the pillow. The next day, I woke up to a great homecooked breakfast and was well within a 30 minute drive to Gillette Stadium to catch a New England Patriots game. Hope to return to Nichols B and B again another day.
~ John Robbins from Rocky Mount, N.C.

Room Tip: Pick one of the rooms with the private bath. That's what I did! I chose the Eleanor room because...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John R
Reviewed 15 October 2012

My wife and I spent three days at the Nichols Guest Rooms in Seekonk. The breakfasts we had were all sumptuous, delicious, and pleasing to the eye. We stayed in the Eleanor Room (they have three rooms, two of which have their own bathroom).
The hosts were totally accomodating to our needs. The location was fine for us as we mostly went to Providence (10 minutes away) with one drive up to Foxboro MA.
We highly recommend this Guest House.

Room Tip: The one room without a bathroom would require you to go down stairs to the kitchen level. Unless yo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seekonk
Hampton Inn Pawtucket
#1 of 1 in Pawtucket
Smith Hill
Christopher Dodge House
Christopher Dodge House
#1 of 5 in Providence
Hampton Inn Seekonk
#1 of 8 in Seekonk

Been to Nichols Guest House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!