“Very Pleasant Visit & Great Location”

Staveleigh House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Sheffield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My husband and I recently spent three nights at the Staveleigh House in Sheffield, MA, and it was a very pleasant experience. My husband is thru hiking the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine and we needed a location near the trail so that he could rest and "slack pack" a few days. I found the Staveleigh House on line and based on previous Trip Advisor comments decided to give it a try--it was perfect and we're glad we were guests at the B&B. Our room was on the second floor with a private bath--very comfortable! We also enjoyed the use of free wi-fi in our room. The Staveleigh House was clean, comfortable and the owners, Mike and his wife, Chris were very accommodating and helpful. We really enjoyed the breakfasts--they were wonderful and we enjoyed our conversations with them! Chris also sent a "food care package" each morning with my hiker husband. The location is a short driving distance to Great Barrington for restaurant options yet far enough away to be peaceful. If we get a chance to return to this beautiful area, we will stay at the Staveleigh House.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 July 2014

One always wonders what they will encounter when they return to a "favorite" Bed and Breakfast knowing that is operating under new ownership. The Staveleigh House's new owners, Mike and Chris, have big shoes to fill...but after staying there for a 3-day weekend, we left feeling like we were long lost members of their family! Mike and Chris are extraordinarily attentive to guest needs and take the time to elicit suggestions on how your stay could be better. We enjoyed our stay to such a degree, that I didn't really know what to say. We were a little nervous about the food because the previous owners had wonderful breakfasts. To be honest, while Ali's breakfast was great, Chris's breakfast is to die for! Breakfast is served from 8:00 - 10:00 and late sleepers should be motivated to get out of bed!

The rooms are no different than they were when it was operated by the previous owners. The décor is warm, inviting and tastefully furnished with antiques. Our room had a fireplace, an in-room private bath and a private entrance. Down comforters adorn the beds...and are just perfect on cool mornings.

For us, the perfect weekend involves not much more than wandering aimlessly through antiques stores. The property is ideally situated on Main St., and is but a stone's-throw from Sheffield's antique shopping! If we don't feel like antiquing, there is no shortage of things to do! Tanglewood, the Norman Rockwell Museum, outdoor cafes, restaurants, hikes, nature trails, even a 9-hole golf course...it's all nearby. However you decide to spend your time, the Staveleigh House is a wonderful way to finish any particular day.

Kudos to Mike and Chris! They have big shoes to fill and they're doing it well! It goes without saying, we will return!

Room Tip: All rooms are decorated beautifully. Some have a fireplace...all rooms have a private bath, though n...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Greg S
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My boyfriend and I just got back from the 4th of July weekend. We book our trips around the James Taylor Concert every year at Tanglewood. We booked the Staveleigh six months in advance. When we got there, to our surprise, there were new innkeepers. (We will miss you Ali)! As soon as we pulled in Mike (one of the new owners) popped his head out the back door and welcomed us. We soon were introduced to his wife Chris as we walked in the front door. We were stunned to find out that Ali had sold the inn, but adjusted to the new owners very quickly as they were very gracious and kind. Chris is a breakfast genius. I don't usually eat breakfast but I couldn't help myself 2 out of the 3 days, because it was so good. I might note that I am not a morning person, and I dragged myself out of bed at 9am to make sure I did not miss it. They are still a bit wet behind the ears, as they have only been there 2 weeks, but I am quite sure they will work out the quirks as time goes by. They were more concerned about them than we were. That only shows that they care about their guests and think about all of the little details. They were open to listening to suggestions and the only thing I would suggest is a common refrigerator where we could access some cold bottled water at any time of the night or day as that is a necessity that we would have liked. Other than that, we are looking forward to a weekend in the fall to see the fantastic foliage in October. Thanks so much Mike and Chris for a super weekend of food and new friends. We will be back! Nicki and Tony.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank figaroinc
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I wanted to let people know what a wonderful job Ali, and her husband Harry did today where I hosted my daughter's baby shower! They opened their home up to us, and prepared a delicious sit-down luncheon. I might add that we asked if they could prepare vegan food, and they did, and it was so good! Our guests couldn't get over how tasty the appetizers to the dessert was. I would highly recommend the Staveliegh House for small intimate gatherings, and wish that I'd had the chance to stay in one of their lovely rooms!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Last October my wife and I travelled to the Berkshires to view the fall foliage and celebrate my 70th birthday in my home state. Excellent reviews prompted us to book a room at historic Staveleigh House, and we were very glad we did. Ali and Harry are among the most welcoming and charming B&B proprietors we have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Ali's breakfasts were amazing, featuring fresh fruit lovingly presented, home-grown herbs, and organic eggs direct from her own hens (all of whom have names). The dining area was attractive and light-filled, the table settings beautifully done, with fresh flowers from their beautiful, overflowing gardens. Conversations with Ali and other guests were informative and stimulating. The coffee was wonderful, too, and Ali was most gracious to bring my first cup as I sat outside in their lovely garden each morning prior to the 7am breakfast hour. It was very quiet and peaceful there, and I loved being outdoors and close to all the animals at that early hour. There were plenty of things to do nearby, even though Tanglewood was off-season. My wife was delighted to find an excellent antiques dealer (Samuel Herrup) right in Sheffield. Ali directed us to a favorite spot for hiking, where the foliage and flora were lovely. A nice little 9-hole golf course nearby was so uncrowded I was able to tee off right away as a single. The dining options in Sheffield itself are limited, but there are plenty of fine restaurants to chose from in nearby Great Barrington and Lenox. It was a wonderfully relaxing visit, and we are very much looking forward to returning in the near future.

Room Tip: Room #6 has an extremely comfortable king-size bed with down comforter and pillows, and separate ent...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David L
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We spent a wonderful weekend in the Berkshires at the Staveleigh House, Alie the host was most gracious and nice, the room was exceptionally large and clean with a nice clean and large bathroom. The food was delicious and plentiful. The location was really good as well easy to get in and out of. Rating for a pool and fitness center are based on the fact that there was no pool or fitness center.

Room Tip: room on lower floor was very convienent with an outside entrace as well as an door into the main par...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2013

such a beautiful place to stay, Harry greeted us with a tray of freshly made tea and cake and we chatted about the area, the house and garden. The lounge is very comfortable and relaxing and available for guests to use. There is no guest area for tea and coffee, I am a bug tea drinker and Ali kindly let me use the kitchen to make a drink later on in the evening.
The garden and array of animals were a treat to have around. Our room 6 had a porch area and we were able to sit and enjoy the garden before dinner. There doesn't seem to be a lot in the immediate area and we took the car to go out to eat, however, it is still worth staying there. Harry had a lot of suggestions of interesting places to visit, especially if you are a music fan.
Ali made a lovely breakfast with fresh eggs from their hens. Both Ali and Harry were very good hosts and we enjoyed our one night stay there.

Room Tip: we had room 6, great big bed and porch area with its own entrance separate from the house - be aware...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheffield
Garden Gables Inn
#1 of 3 in Norfolk
The Inn at Stockbridge
The Inn at Stockbridge
#2 of 8 in Stockbridge

Been to Staveleigh House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!