“Simply Charming!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Sheffield B&B and Inns
NYC
“Simply Charming!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2008

Nestled in the Berkshires Stavleigh House is a True Find!

The owner Ali is truly gracious and cooks a fantastic breakfast consisting of the BEST Belgium Waffles I have had in years. The room was large and well decorated and the bathroom was new and spacious.

Truly a wonderful B&B!

• Liked — Everything was above board.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Cape Cod
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2008

This is the best B&B I've ever experienced. I've been most fortunate to stay in the large downstairs room more than once and it is a dream; beautifully decorated, separate entrance, and bigger than my bedroom at home. Ali, the innkeeper, is a doll who is attentive and charming. As I am a diabetic, she always customizes breakfasts for me to my request. Delicious omelets!

Staveleigh House itself is beautiful. There are pretty flowers around the property and a barn way out in the back with horses, goats, and other wonderful animals. The dining room is awash with light in the mornings and is nicely appointed. Great living room with a piano too. Incredibly, the prices at the inn are more than competitive.

I am going to Sheffield again soon and will be heading straight to Staveleigh and Ali. The holidays in the Berkshires are dreamy and I can't think of a better place to stay.

• Liked — Huge, beautifully furnished room.
  • Disliked — No internet access.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
Pioneer Valley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2008

Since 2005, my wife and I have loved our annual October weekend at The Staveleigh House. Ali and her family have created an authentic and thoroughly inviting place where we can decompress and just be ourselves. We knew from the moment we first walked in that this B&B was "our place." We've stayed in several different rooms over the years and they've all have been very clean, quiet, and the beds supportive and comfortable (and I'm picky about beds).

Fall is my favorite season for running, and if you're a runner, you'll have access to an array of the most beautiful back roads and gorgeous single-track trails right from the front door. Some of my most memorable runs have been logged here, in part because I come back to Ali's incredible breakfasts, which are always sumptuous and fresh, and Ali's homemade bread is to die for!

The Staveleigh House is the best!

• Liked — The rooms, food, and especially the service!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2008

A lovely B&B in the Berkshires. Attractively decorated guest rooms and public areas. The owners are warm and welcoming, and the full breakfasts are delicious. Very convenient to area attractions. Highly recommended.

• Liked — The hosts.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
debo56
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2008

My husband and I have been staying at Staveleigh House for a weekend in July for the last four years and we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. The house and grounds are absolutely lovely, artfully decorated, warm, comfortable and totally inviting. Proprieter,Ali Winston, is the most gracious of hostesses as well as an interesting, intelligent, charming and funny woman (not to mention a fantastic cook). The menagerie in the barn outback is like a little Noah's Ark of animal delight, there to be enjoyed or not, as you see fit. Sheffield is a quintessential New England village and accessible out the front door. I have come to think of Staveleigh House as my western Massachusetts 'home away from home' and wholeheartedly recommend it.

• Liked — the ambiance
  • Disliked — there is really nothing I don
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
East Brunswick, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2008

My husband and I have stayed at Staveleigh House for more than 20 years, both with the previous owners and the current owners, covering all the seasons of the year and for various reasons for visiting. We have always enjoyed our visits and feel like we are part of the family. We most of all enjoy the breakfasts. Ali is most accomodating with special diets and guests' requests. Just ask her. The inn has really expanded and has had some updating but all is not possible with an old home. Our expectations are not as unreasonable as some guests. We are looking foward to another winter visit in 2009.

Stayed February 2008
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2008

My husband and I stay at Staveleigh House in Sheffield a few times a year and in different seasons. We are frequent Berkshire visitors and like to dine and stay all over the region.
Ali, the delightful and lovely owner and hostess, along with the "menagerie" of animals (goats too!) are a wonderful treat in the area. Every room is unique and we especially like the upstairs front bedroom overlooking the front house and garden. The downstairs rooms have a separate entrance that make it very private. Ali serves delicious home made breakfasts of french toast or omelettes with fruit and breads every morning in a room so cozy , it makes you feel you are getting a real B&B experience.
We have recommended Staveleigh house to many friends and will continue to enjoy our time there again and again.

• Liked — Ali, owner
  • Disliked — no swimming pool
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheffield
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 9 in Great Barrington
#2 of 20 in Lenox
Wainwright Inn
Wainwright Inn
#3 of 12 in Great Barrington

Been to Staveleigh House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!