“Last minute little getaway”

The Summer House Cottages
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I took my wife for two days, one night at the Summer House for our 21st Anniversary. When I had made the reservation the night before I asked if we came early it would be all right. The reservationist said no problem. She even said because it was last minute and they had a room available, that we would get a discounted rate(Nice) and save 10% on everything spent while there(which is nice because the Summer House is pricey). We took the Gray Lady fast ferry(recommended) over in the morning, and rode our bikes to the Summer House. When we got there, the room wasn't ready. The concierge John was awesome. He saw that we were thirsty from the bike ride, and got us waters. To our surprise, the room was being renovated, complete with bandsaws buzzing away. Usually, I would have been disappointed, but I went into relaxed Jamaican mode, and said no problem, we'll go down to the pool and have lunch and hang out. When our room wasn't ready by three, John moved us to a larger cottage, the Gray Lady so I could make a conference call. We had an excellent dinner at the Cottage House. Save room for dessert! We spent the next day at the pool and beach until late in the day when we biked back to town. The location in Sconset is unbelievable. John was awesome. The staff were friendly. The cottages, are as "quaint" as quaint can be. The Wauwinet is a little more polished, but the Summer House is more lively. When we got home and I looked at all the receipts in my wallet I realized they never gave us the 10% discount. Even if you don't stay at the Summer House Cottages, the restaurant was great, and a summertime drink by the pool and beach is so relaxing.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the restaurant are a little quieter, depending upon the night you are there.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Summer House was our very first stay on the Island of Nantucket. I cannot even tell you how beautiful the entire property is. It is about a 10-15 minute taxi ride into the town but is nice to have a little peace and quiet. Riding bikes around the town of Sconset was like something out of a postcard. I would highly recommend staying at The Summer House and enjoying the scenery, bike riding and beach. Then heading into town for a little strolling and dinner.
The staff couldn't have been more accommodating.
We are already planning our next trip!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have been coming to the summer house for several years and it keeps getting better. I am writing this review because I'm about to book the hotel again for this summer. The hotel overlooks the ocean and enjoys the best location on the island. It is also the only hotel with a pool overlooking the ocean. There are two restaurants. One is by the pool on the ocean where we have enjoyed many wonderful afternoons lingering over lunch. The other restaurant is candlelit and elegant and extremely romantic. Listening to live music at the piano bar is the perfect way to end an evening. Service is impeccable yet friendly. The rooms are individual cottages furnished like the pages of a magazine.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Jweg
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I have stayed both in town and in the Sconset Cottages. Each location was wonderful and unique - the town has fun activities and nightlife, while the van shuttle service to the idyllic Sconset Beach is easy and convenient. Figs at Fair Street is probably my favorite restaurant on the island – the pizza and pasta taste as if a native of Napoli is in the kitchen handcrafting them.

Personally, I go to Nantucket to escape the chaotic pace of Los Angeles and relax in a setting that is impossible to duplicate. The peaceful environment at the Sconset Cottages allows for those from large, busy cities to unwind, refresh and enjoy that much needed vacation.

The Summerhouse captures the charm that is Nantucket while offering upscale accommodation and beach side cocktails served in the most beautiful setting on the island.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MollyMcD3
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I usually rent a house ion Nantucket for a week in the fall but this year I only had three days to spend on the island and I booked a two bedroom cottage at The Summer House in Sconset. At first you think the property is in need of a lot of TLC but the interior of the cottage was quaint and comfortable. To me and my friend it was the perfect getaway. Sconset alone is worth the trip and The Summer House Cottages are right across from The Atlantic but it also has a nice heated pool to relax and enjoy the sun. We had lunch at the poolside Bistro and the lobster Caesar salad was large enough for two. In addition, the local fried clams were sweet and tender. Back to our cottage. It had a nice private outdoor seating area that was perfect for morning coffee. If you enjoy a peaceful place to unwind The Summer House is a great choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
SummerHouseMgmt, Manager at The Summer House Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for your kind words! We appreciate your willingness to share your experience, and we hope to see you again next season!

Reviewed 8 September 2013

My husband and I planned a last minute trip to the Summer House the last weekend in August. We have been to Nantucket before, but have never stayed in Sconset or the Summer House. It was a great getaway - extremely isolated, but with all the amenities. It was nice to have the option of the pool when it would get too cold a the beach. The rooms are small and very simple, but well kept. A nice getaway from staying in out!

Room Tip: We were in a room (Barclay) behind which the staff spent much of their time so there was a decent am...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Summer House. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to seeing you next season!

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband surprised me this weekend by bringing me to the Summer House for my birthday dinner and to spend the night in one of their cottages. We were both very excited since we had both stayed and dined there in years past and always had a wonderful experience. Things have changed.....
When we walked in the hostess tried to seat us at a table that was so tightly squeezed next to the tables on either side of it that there would be no way for 2 adults to fit comfortably. When we told her we would prefer another table and inquired about a specific one she told us we couldnt sit there because it was reserved and the people who were going to sit there were at the bar having drink. When we left at the end of the night, the table was still empty.
The hostess then led us to a banquette which was covered in white material that was covered in multiple stains that had occurred over time. They were so bad that the restaurant should have had it recovered long before. We then sat down and my husband noticed the graveyard of dead bug carcasses all around me on the banquette, the shelf behind my head and even on the table. All it would have taken was someone to wipe it down and there would not have been bugs but nobody seemed to care.
It took the waiter an exceptionally long time to take our drink order and even longer to bring it to us afterwards. The food was ok, not great but ok which does not seem reasonable considering the steep prices.
All along there was a loud piano player singing while we attempted dinner conversation. It was so loud you had to yell to be heard across the table. In the past, the piano player was more for background music and later at night might break into sing-along type songs, but this guy was full on all night. To make it worse, occasionally customers would come up and try to sing with him which added insult to injury. We could not get out of there fast enough. On the way out we stopped and told the hostesses of our horrible experience and they really didn't seem to care at all. We then went back to one of the Summer House cottage which we paid a small fortune to stay in. It was very musty and the shower handle fell off while my husband was taking a shower. The very worst part is that the drunk loud piano player banged on those keys until almost one a.m. The walls on the cottage are very thin and you could hear every drunk reveler leaving as well as loud piano guy carrying on. Again, my husband went inside to see when this would end. We don't think that it is reasonable to have it so loud so late. Again, the management seemed like they could care less. The Summer House used to be a classy restaurant with amazing food and a highlight to our trips to Nantucket. We will make certain to not set foot there again and warn others of the same.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank kris g

I am sorry that your stay at the Summer House was not enjoyable. We pride ourselves on providing our guests with impeccable service, and we are incredibly disappointed that the staff did not give you the attention you deserved. We are appalled to hear that the banquette was covered in stains and dead bugs - this is inexcusable, and we can assure you that the lack of upkeep is not a common occurrence. We would love the opportunity to show you the true Summer House experienced that you've enjoyed in the past. Please contact me at manager@thesummerhouse.com so that I can personally see to it that we exceed your expectations next time around!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Siasconset
Nantucket Inn
The Wauwinet
#9 of 14 in Nantucket
White Elephant Village | Residences & Inn
The Nantucket Hotel & Resort

Been to The Summer House Cottages? Share your experiences!