“Good Value”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Somerset
Providence, RI
“Good Value”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We are seniors who have driven back & forth to CA & FL several times in the last few years, always staying in Choice Hotels - of which this motel is a member - so we have quite a large base of examples to draw on for comparison. I would rate this one in the top third of the list. We stayed one night in an accessible, non-smoking room on the ground floor with patio & river view & the charge was about $77. The river view was peaceful but would have been more so if there had not been a freeway on one side & a rather busy local road on the other. The king bed was very comfortable, the room as clean as I've ever seen in this category of motel, & the service was very friendly & accommodating. There is an indoor pool which we didn't use but looked well kept. The heating, fridge, water pressure & coffee maker all worked fine. The breakfast selection was not very appetizing but had the basics. There are several restaurants nearby. The motel itself is certainly not new but was, as far as we could tell, well kept up except for the side entranceway which could have used a good sweeping. To be fair, it was a windy day & there was a lot of traffic in that area so it would have been difficult to keep up with the litter tracked/blown in. All in all, we thought it was a good value for the money & convenient to just about everything you would need in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side have the best view of the river & a large yard for kids to run around in...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Auburn, Maine
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My reservation was made through Choice Hotels, of which I am a member. The room was described as "2 Queen Beds, Non-Smoking, with a personal Jacquizi tub. By the pictures offered, you could see that the room was perhaps a bit dated, but it was worse than dated! This room was dirty and worn out. The smell was like old smoke and musty dampness when we walked into the room. A red flag! The bedding covers, and curtains were old and ugly. When my husband walked into the bathroom and called to show me the tub - all black on the bottom and just grungy! I called to the front desk to request a switch to another room, but was advised that the hotel was sold out. I asked if we could have a mat to place on the bottom of the tub, but after a few seconds,the desk clerk told me that they did not have these available. His attitude was one of "whatever lady". The sink faucet, tissue cover, etc., were all water stained and had not been properly cleaned. Even the door handle and plate behind it were dirty and you could tell that many guests had passed through this door and the handle had not been cleaned or sanitized. We had NO choice but to stay there since there was nothing available!! We tried some other hotels nearby and they were all booked.
The complimentary breakfast was adequate in the morning, and the only good thing about our stay. I would NEVER stay at this hotel again. I would suggest that the owners put the "quality" back in the "Inn"!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the rear building. I think these rooms are the oldest and worst!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suesaw24

Travellers are raving about these Somerset hotels

missouri
Reviewed 1 October 2013

When we were driving down the road, and had THOUGHT we wanted to stay here, I told my husband to keep driving, that I did not like the appearance of the hotel, and it did not look safe. However, he pulled in the parking lot to check it out. It is definitely an older hotel and did not look near as scarey or bad from the front as it did from the back. We decided we would stay here as we were definitely tired of driving. We wanted to be close to Falmouth, MA so we could catch the ferry to Martha's Vineyard and this was within thirty minutes to an hour of Falmouth. We checked in and went to our room. There was an odor of some sorts in the room, but I cannot explain what it was, maybe a mixture of an overpowering room freshener trying to cover up a musty/smoky smell, I don't know. But it was not good. The hotel is in defininte need of a TOTAL REMODEL. The staff was helpful and friendly and the room was clean. Just the nasty odor. Ate at a little 'mom and pop' type restaurant located in the parking lot. Pretty good food. I might consider staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GM-QISomerset, Manager at Riverview Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience; both concerns and compliments regarding your recent stay with us. I do apologize for the issue you experienced regarding the odor. We are working diligently to prevent issues such as the ones you experienced from recurring. We are an older facility, however we are currently in the process of renovating our guest rooms.

We're glad you enjoyed your experience at Jillian's Sports Pub, they certainly do have a wide menu selection as well as great food and service.

We do hope to see you again in the near future.

~ D. Meredith Morris, General Manager
Walnutport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 September 2013

So I will start with the one good thing about the hotel. Morgan the clerk was friendly, helpful and inviting. The rest of the hotel is a train wreck. Upon walking in the furniture in the lobby is dated and very worn. I was given a room at the end of the hall, although the room was large it again was extremely dated. It was late so I decided to turn in for the night, as I was laying there I noticed a strong odor of mildew or mold. The smell was so strong I needed to spray cologne on my pillow to disguise the nasty smell. The smell was so bad it actually kept me awake after a 12 hour work day and 5 hours of driving. I was up early so I decided to get some work done before heading to work. NO WIRELESS INTERNET, Really it is 2013!!! I later found out from a friend that you need to use a data cable and plug it into the lamp, and than he stated it was extremely slow. I was scheduled to stay there for 4 nights but I quickly decided I needed to go elsewhere. I made other arrangements and when speaking with the other hotel's sales rep I stated the hotel (not mentioning their name) smelled horrible and moldy and she immediately said " Oh you must of spent the night at the Quality Inn". Now granted the hotel is older than most I stay in but I have stayed in plenty of old hotels that are well maintained. The walls are paper thin, the electric is almost impossible to figure out what switch goes where. This one is definitely NOT well maintained, if anything it needs to be demolished and re-built. Do yourself a favor and AVOID THIS PLACE!!!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else so you can get a good nights rest.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Saco, Maine
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I stay at this property 3-4 times a month on business. The breakfast is open early and has a variety of foods. Oversized pool and fitness room hours fit into my schedule either before or after work. The rooms are fairly large and have a microwave & refrigerator included at no additional charge. I love the new flat screen TVs. Can't beat the water view rooms!!! Sports pub on site is the perfect place to have a great meal and relax at the end of the day.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
GM-QISomerset, General Manager at Riverview Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding the property. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you back again on your next trip to the Somerset area.

~ Hotel Staff & Management team.
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I didn't reserve a smoking room but that's what I got. It smelled smoke real bad and I had to open the patio door to ventilate the room but it didn't help. I had trouble opening the patio door because it was bent and wouldn't stay on the rollers.I didn't dare walk on the carpeting with my bare feet because it was so stained and dirty. The hotel is in dire need of renovation and from the looks of it probably needed it for years. The sink had rust stains and the furniture has seen its better days. It's unfortunate since it has a favorable location and the staff was friendly but it seems the owner is trying to suck the last dollars out of it without making improvements. I will not stay there again unless the renovate the rooms and eliminate the cigarette smell.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
GM-QISomerset, General Manager at Riverview Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding the overall cleanliness and condition of your guest room on your recent visit. I can assure you we value the feedback we receive from our guests and use it to make improvements. We are in the process of renovating our guest rooms as well as reconfiguring the placement of our smoking rooms.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with your accommodations on your next visit to the area.

D. Meredith Morris
Connecticut
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Downside: I wouldn't say the place is retro or throwback, it is indeed OLD and in serious need of a renovation. The entire hotel smells like smoke because they allow smoking in the smoking rooms which are right next to non smoking ones. No flat screens, at least in the rooms I saw. Kids brought the PlayStation and to no avail could it be played but it was ok since it made them be creative in their downtime. Some lights didn't work and when I plugged in my phone the light on the wall flickered. It was ok for two nights. We were barely there as the baseball tournament kept us away.
Upside: Many amenities. Basketball with a bent rim, soccer or field hockey, indoor pool, hot breakfast) French toast, eggs, sausages and choice of bread products(bagels, toast, pastries), coffee, juice, and water. Saved lots of money per night vs. places in Newport/Middletown. And, for athletes in a tournament, a washer dryer. The place also allowed us to grill some burgers and dogs. About 12 minutes from Providence and plenty of shopping and malls and strip malls.
The hotel was booked solid with families visiting for events close by. I would repeat on a boys' trip or a one nighter again. If the place was renovated, just cosmetically, I would recommend.

Room Tip: If you're a non-smoker, ask for a room furthest from smoking rooms. River view rooms are nice an...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
GM-QISomerset, General Manager at Riverview Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 20 July 2013
We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Feedback from our guests is of the utmost importantance to us. Your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay for all of our guests. We have a total of 104 guest rooms and suites. Out of those rooms, we have 20 smoking rooms which we are in the process of moving so that our nonsmoking guests will not be affected. We are also installing flat screens in all of our guest rooms; currently we have 24 rooms completed.

Thank you so much for your business and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

D. Meredith Morris, CHA
Quality Inn of Somerset
Tel. 508-678-4545 x501
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerset
Comfort Inn & Suites Fall River
Bristol Harbor Inn
Bristol Harbor Inn
#1 of 1 in Bristol
Comfort Inn Seekonk - Providence

Been to Riverview Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!