“Creative, Flavorful, Inspired”

Ranked #18 of 311 Restaurants in Somerville
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Forget that this is a vegan restaurant - all vegan, so it's such a joy for a true vegan, being able to order anything at all with complete abandon, no need to worry about hidden dairy, etc! But indeed, forget that, if you are not a vegan, because this is a restaurant where anyone who eats will be thrilled - you would have to have something actually wrong with you to not find the food here extraordinary!

Braised tempeh with whipped winter squash, massaman curry with fried tofu and rice cake, house made ravioli, cornmeal crusted mushrooms, golden beet borscht - only a few of the extremely creative highly flavorful dishes we enjoyed.

The restaurant itself is beautiful, high end in design, impeccable service - nothing hippy earthy crunchy about it, so leave any (MIS)conceptions you might have about a vegan venue at the door. We were super impressed and we will definitely return.

3  Thank lexmiller

Reviewed 24 February 2014

This is such an amazing restaurant. Great food for vegans and those who just enjoy interesting tasty food. All the options are so inventive and creative. Definitely worth a try even if you aren't vegan or vegetarian. The ambiance is wonderful and it's so nice to go to a vegan restaurant that is fancy! The nice white table clothes and decor make it feel like a really special occasion. Be sure to try the vegan irish cream liquor - the fact that this is vegan blows my mind - incredible!

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We loved it & we're both meat eaters. Dragged here by our vegan pal, we were surprised and very pleased with everything!

Reviewed 23 December 2013

I've been wanting to try True Bistro for more than a year and finally made it there. I regret waiting so long! It was a delicious meal. I started with a leek and parsnip soup that was outstanding. There are small plates and large plates, plus salads and sides, so you can find a meal of any size. There were really flavorful sauces on the three dishes I tried. I went with my non-vegan husband who was equally impressed with his meal.

I do agree with one reviewer who mentioned the small portions. The crispy artichoke salad is four or five bites tops. But, it's delicious. I had a soup, salad, small plate (smoky kale and potato cakes) and dessert. The dessert was the least impressive part of the meal, being just ok. But, the other three courses more than made up for it.

The decor and ambiance are cool and sophisticated and the service was friendly and attentive. The brunch menu looks really good with burgers and sandwiches.

We'll be back for sure!

Reviewed 23 December 2013

I went to True Bistro twice in perhaps 6 weeks. With friends each time, we ordered different dishes from the menu. Both times the food was outstanding. At end of November, I had the wilted spinach with smoked tofu, pecans and cranberry salad, along with the soba with vegetable tempura as a main. As excellent as they were, what stood out was the soup of the day, a white bean with fennel soup with many layers of subtle flavors. I write as a person who does not like white beans, but I could not stop savoring it and talking about it. Service was impeccable. Atmosphere was nice.

2  Thank Biminip