“Great Food with a Great Atmosphere”
Review of Saloon

Saloon
Reserve with OpenTable
Saloon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 306 Restaurants in Somerville
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Red Line Davis stop
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Great Food with a Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This place has wonderful food. I loved their devils on horseback and the fish dishes. The night I went I had hake on a brick which was a white fish in flaky pastry with a lemon butter sauce. Delicious! The deserts are also delightful.
My favorite part of Saloon is the location. It has a hidden speak easy feeling. The only tell tale sign is a white globe light outside. You enter in the door for the Davis Theatre, go down the stairs, and then instead of going right to the theatre, go left. The inside also has that dark wood paneling that gives it that hidden feeling.
The drinks also hearken back to the speakeasy with an incredibly long list of whiskey drinks. My favorite drink is the house punch which is served in a flask.

Visited December 2013

Adelaide, Australia
“Great Drinks, Good Food”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We took our son here for his birthday. The drinks menu is outstanding so if that is the mail goal of your meal, this is definitely the right venue! The place also looks great--they have transformed a basement location into a swank bar set--lots of fun! The food, while good and tasty, is not in any way unusual. My daughter ordered a Waldorf salad and was told after a five minute hiatus, that they didn't have the ingredients--what??? they didn't have applies? or was it the walnuts? We won't be back but that is because we like to go out for unusual and complex food that we cannot make at home. The younger generation would return though--they really liked the drinks!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank sybilsch
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
“Ok! That's my experience...”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Never go on. Fri night...Never go if you are a vegetarian...never go for a date night! Pace was jam packed and super duper noisy! I bet worse than 10 KG classes...if it was music you can tolerate but this was bad noise. The table was smaller than my son's high chair tray...
I ordered risotto...which was ok...but I did not go for risotto...may be I wanted 2 more choices! There were none...shortest menu ever...My hubby liked his chicken.. He said it was perfect...but honestly who cares for the food when noise is piercing your ears & head...
I am a mom and wanted to go out for a nice date...so this place was just not appropriate for that!!
Before I forget to mention the drinks were great!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Lawyer21
“Artful cocktails, great staff. My go to.”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This is as close to a 1920s joint you can find - in atmosphere, music, food, and drinks. The cocktails are small, well crafted, and potent, just like they originally were (so I've read). Food selection is limited but great. My only concern is the lack of a rum selection, but the whiskeys are great. A tip: if you sit at the bar and engage the bartenders on a not-crazy night, they'll get into their art and share a bunch of tasty extras, like whatever you're having, deconstructed. If you like tiki drinks, they'll improvise an excellent, sophisticated one on the spot. Talk to Tracy.

• Visited September 2013
Boston, MA
“Impressive speakeasy”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

They're going for a prohibition-era speakeasy vibe, and it works! The door is unmarked and the lower level location is dark and mysterious. The only indication that a great restaurant and bar is below you when you walk by is a small lamp on the building that says "Saloon." Once you find it, the place is a gem. The drink list is extensive and has something for everyone, though I think the real brown-liquor snobs will delight the most. The food and service were both excellent! Our waitress was wonderful and the duck duet was really good. I was also pleased with the reasonable prices. I look forward to returning!

• Visited July 2013