“Good atmosphere, great food, a bit expensive” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Good atmosphere, great food, a bit expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

We went for dinner to this place, invited by some Mexican friends who highly recommended the place as being one that served some of the best typical Mexican food in Cambridge.
Gastronomy-wise, we were not disappointed. The plates were well and quickly served, and the experience was a very good one. The entrees might have been a bit dry however.
A definite comment is that the Price/Quality ratio is a bit high. for a group of 4 we ended up paying around US160, drinks and coffee included, no desserts.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Portland, Maine
“Some of the best authentic mexican I've ever had.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

First off, if you're looking for nachos, queso fundido, and unlimited chips and salsa at your table...this is not the place for you. On the other hand, if you're looking for authentic (and often creative) mexican fare, including some dishes that are pre-hispanic, this is the place for you. The tamale appetizer came with 5 small tamales (tilapia, coconut, beef, pork, chicken) which were all fantastic. The chicken flautas were perfectly authentic, as was the sope de bistec. The grasshopper tacos (flautas)--yes, grasshopper--were fine, however they were nothing special so I would probably not re-order those. The shrimp entree was one of the best hispanic food entrees I've ever had, as was the pork with peanut and cinnamon sauce. My wife's soup was everything she could've wanted, and my mother loved her chile relleno. Overall, some truly fantastic food, and I very much look forward to returning.

The service was equally good, and the food came out promptly and all the food was nice and warm/fresh. The prices were more than fair, especially given the quality of the food. Unfortunately, they lack a liquor license, so it's beer and wine (and sangria) only, so no margaritas, tequila, or mixed drinks here. That being said, this place is not to be missed and I look forward to coming back soon.

• Visited December 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fantastic authentic Mexican”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Lovely little place, good Sangria (but no hard liquor), and amazing authentic Mexican. No tex mex here. Real sauces, old recipes, even fried grasshoppers. A real gem a short walk from Davis Square.

Visited November 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Most expensive stomachache ever.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I know that MA is seriously deprived of good Mexican food, but that's no excuse for serving food that isn't fresh at obscenely high prices.

The atmosphere is nice and charming, but that can't save the rest of the experience. I ordered the carnitas, and they were soggy and tasted like they were days old. They're really stingy with the portion of tortillas (not handmade, needless to say) that comes with the carnitas. There was no spice in the salsas which also weren't fresh.

I spent the next day sick to my stomach and feeling the taste of the carnitas resurface again and again in my mouth.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Seattle, WA
“Fantastic appetizers--overall a good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

I am from Seattle and visiting family. We went on a Saturday night at 6 with my 2 year old grandson. The maroon tablecloths had paper over them, which grandson E loved using to color on. (We supplied the pen). We had 4 adults plus grandson. We didn't order anything special for him although there is a "kids' menu." The appetizers were small and delicious, the highlight of the meal. We ordered 3: Jalapenos Maria Luisa, lightly breaded Jalapeno peppers filled with shredded chicken served over a bed of tomato sauce, 5 vegetarian tamales which were delicious, and a mushroom sope, .Small hand stretched corn flour dough topped with beans, fresh cheese, onions, lettuce & your choice of bistec (beef), Mexican sausage (longaniza), zucchini or mushrooms, with the 2 sauces being the highlight of this dish.

The main dishes all came with rice (half tomato and half cilantro-flavored) and delicious vegetarian black beans. The main dishes were ample and we did not have room for dessert.

Two of the dishes were pre-Columbian (the fish in green mole sauce and the Pipian Paskal (Chopped chayote squash in pipian made of, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, cilantro, herbs, ancho and guajillo peppers). While we preferred the appetizers, we enjoyed tasting the unusual but very authentic main dishes. I liked all the sauces (the green mole was a bit peppery but not hot spicy) but I would have gotten a bit tired of the squash texture after a while, so I am glad that I ordered the fish.

The head waiter/owner immediately brought out some orange sections for my grandson and a booster seat. He was very kind and helpful.

We also ordered a pitcher of sangria with fruit of the season (apples and oranges which had definitely been soaked in sangria.

We will go back another time and try more things.

The menu is not big, but them seem to do the items on it well.

You can find most of the menu at: http://www.allmenus.com/ma/somerville/260734-tu-y-yo/menu/

• Visited September 2013