“What a fascinating breakfast”

Neighborhood Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 305 Restaurants in Somerville
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Portuguese
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bangor ME
“What a fascinating breakfast”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The Neighborhood Restaurant is definitely worth seeking out, but be sure that you have plenty of appetite.
We each had the Portuguese breakfast, and thoroughly enjoyed most of it--the eggs, linguica, codfish cake, shrimp cake, meat cake, and potatoes with sweet peppers, although the blood sausage wasn't really to our taste.
Service was prompt and friendly.
The tables are quite close together, and you are apt to hear more of others' conversations than you really want.

• Visited December 2013

Somerville, Massachusetts
“My favorite brunch”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I love the Neighborhood. It's one of those local secrets that is no longer a secret, and so there is always a long wait. Still, the staff are gracious and provide coffee and muffins for people waiting. As you have probably already heard, their cream of wheat (served free with every order) is magical. It tastes like joy and sunshine. Their garden omelet with broccoli, feta, and other veggies is my all time favorite omelet. I always have leftovers to enjoy later. (Pro tip: Save half of your cream of wheat to take home so you don't fill up too much to enjoy your entree. It reheats well the next morning.) In the summer months, the outdoor patio is wonderful.

• Visited September 2013
Jackson, New Hampshire
“Love this place!”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I used to go here often when I lived in the area (I am now 3 hours away), we visited this weekend and stopped in for breakfast - still unbelievable! All breakfasts come with a choice of Cream of Wheat or fruit. Get the Cream of Wheat. Even if you think you don't like Cream of Wheat, get the Cream of Wheat - you will thank me later :-)

Hugh breakfast for $12.99 each - bowl (not a cup - bowl) of Cream of Wheat, juice, coffee, two eggs, homefries, turkey bacon, toast, homemade jelly, Nutella fruit crepe, chocolate cake... Enough food for 3 meals! Really good food.

Get there early (they open at 7),otherwise you may wait outside a bit, we arrived around 9:30 and waited 15 minutes - but they do have coffee and pastries for you to munch on while you wait (free).

Service was great! Several coffee refills, food served quickly, water without us even asking, waiter checked on us several times - upbeat, friendly staff.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank adnil1962
Boston, Massachusetts
“Long wait times but well worth it!”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Came here on a Saturday around noon. There were maybe twenty parties ahead of us on the sign in sheet. A pot of coffee and a plate of cookies on a table for all those waiting to dine. It was cold outside, very windy. After twenty minutes of waiting I thought my friend would suggest we go elsewhere, but he didn't.

The wait actually wasn't too bad. They constantly came out to call names.

Once we finally went inside, immediately I was blown away by the tiny space. People were packed in like sardines. Our table was extremely close to our neighbors- maybe 6" apart. While I didn't mind this may bother others.

Upon being seated we received orange juice in petite glasses, coffee, and water. Quickly the busy waitress came to take our order. I got the Portuguese breakfast without rice and home fries. My friend got eggs Benedict with bacon and asparagus. I got a plate of fresh fruit doused in heavy syrup while he got a bowl of cream of wheat. He loved the cream of wheat and I tried it also but I'm not a fan. The fruit was good and sweet.

Our food came quickly. My Portuguese breakfast delicious. Somehow I got three eggs instead of two, not that I'm complaining. The morcella, one of the reasons I got this dish was only one tiny piece. The cod stick was delicious. Crunchy on the outside, moist, and salty delicious on the inside. The shrimp ball was also delicious. It had some colorful ingredients mixed in to it. The other meat stick was also good. The beans were perfect!

My friend inhaled his dish so I assume it was good. They brought us a plate with toast, jam, and corn muffins. I didn't eat my of these but my friend said they were excellent. He finished every last piece so I believe him.

Our waitress was so busy she never came by to refill our drinks or check in us, but you can't exactly blame her as she was the only waitress in the entire place. When we asked for refills she quickly responded.

Overall, I enjoyed the meal. I would return and wait in the cold windy wintry elements for another meal here.

• Visited January 2013
Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious food! Lovely place.”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

What a great brunch! French toast made with Portuguese sweet bread, perfectly cooked eggs, tasty homefries and bacon. But wait... it includes white and wheat toast and muffin and...OJ, coffee and cream of wheat or fresh fruit. What a nice surprise when the fresf fruit arrived... it was a baked apple just like my mom has been making in Portugal since I was a kid. We really enjoyed having a late weekday breakfast under a 'latada' (grapevine canopy)...could have been anywhere in Portugal. Next time we'll have to try it for lunch.

• Visited August 2013