“A poor imitation of southern cooking”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of M3 - CLOSED

M3
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
South Carolina
“A poor imitation of southern cooking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Our three meals were fair with some good spots. The floor was sticky. The fried catfish was very greasy. The cornbread was tasteless and an odd orange color. The country fried steak was burned on the outside, but had decent flavor. The fried okra was good. The Mac and cheese was gooey and was similar to Kraft Mac and cheese. Nothing was worth the value they placed on the meal. Hope with the cholesterol high, it is close to an ER.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank tex47

Somerville, Massachusetts
“M3 a Let Down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I chose this restaurant for a Friday night dinner out with my husband, I used to live in Tennessee near Nashville and we both have a deep appreciation for good southern cooking. Unfortunately we both left physically not feeling well, smelling like the kitchen and without eating much of our food. The ambiance is ok, hipster more than anything else- which is fine with me but not really a southern soul food "chicken on Sunday after church" vibe. The mac and cheese fritter had a decent flavor, but if you used the side mustard dipping sauce it took a away a bit from the actual appetizer. The buttermilk fried chicken didn't have a good scald on it and was a little too greasy. The chicken fried steak was bland. The collard greens weren't de-stemmed properly, overcooked and not seasoned at all. There's no way you could convince me they used a ham hock simmer. The cornbread had peach in it, which I think contributed to the increased sweetness and moist cake-like texture- it was more dessert than a compliment to a main dish. The sweet potato side had a little too much brown sugar in it but was tasty. The mashed potato was okay as well. The pickles that came with my meal and on the salad were not home-made which was a bummer. Overall I feel M3 was not tasty on what they delivered and wasn't really reflective of traditional southern cooking. The icing on the cake of my poor review was both of us not feeling well at all even before we left the restaurant and it was definitely not the "I ate too much" not feeling well.

• Visited May 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Average - Unfortunately”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

A funky little place just off Davis Square. Really like the menu, I had chicken hash with eggs, and others had fried chicken with Belgium waffles. The essence of the critic is that the kitchen has taken their eyes off the ball regarding serving fresh/best food. My over easy eggs were under cooked and runny. They also ask if you want jack cheese for the hash. Thinking corned beef hash thoughts, I said no, but I would try that if I got this again. Essentially, their chicken hash is chunks of chicken on top of potatoes, covered in gravy...so why not add a little more fat and cholesterol!
The two in my party that ordered the chicken and waffle got waffles that were hard and and on the cool side. If this was a buffet, then no complaint given we expect things to have been sitting for awhile...but not here. Fresh, and hot are what is expected. Also, my daughter ordered the french toast, which was fresh, hot and very delicious!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Tipscorner
“Delicious if you're ready for a boost in cholesterol”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

This place has a great atmosphere, great beer, and a style of cuisine that I rarely appreciate. I've never been a big fan of southern cuisine, but this place had some delicious food. The okra is amazing, and the pickles are ridiculously hot! My wife had the fried chicken and waffles and said they were one of the best things she's ever had, even if she felt guilty about eating it. We went in the winter and it was the perfect food.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank TeacherInTransit
“Cozy soulfood brunch on a snowy day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Yummy food warmed us up as the snow came down. Eclectic music and chalkboard tabletops provided entertainment. Great neighborhood spot with good service and great value.