“Build your own falafel plate. Cool!”

Amsterdam Falafel Shop
Ranked #25 of 313 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Description: This is a new store of the original in Washington, DC
Description: This is a new store of the original in Washington, DC
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This was similar in spirit to a Subway restaurant, except with Mediterranean options like hummus, baba ganoush, various pickled vegetables, and several different salads, and a base of tasty (fried and chewy style, not the melt-in-your-mouth style) falafel. My wife and I had never seen a restaurant like this before, and, as lovers of Mediterranean food, we rejoiced and heaped our bowls high. I got 3 falafel and she got 2, and we smothered them in toppings. The restaurant charges per pound and the price was reasonable, under $10 each for more food than we needed. The food was good although I think I should have picked 2-3 toppings instead of trying a little bit of everything. I always have that problem. Restaurant was clean and not too loud, looked like 6-8 tables.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Dropped in by chance while in Davis Square, and was pleasantly surprised. Friendly welcome, and wonderful slightly spicey falafel. I got the bowl, which is sold by the pound. You choose how many falafel, then the bowl is given to you so you can add whatever you'd like from the serve yourself bar (baba ganoush, hummus, all sorts of pickled veggies including cauliflower and turnips, and much more). I was very happy to find a veggie and vegan place with such wonderful tastes going on. I got there a little before normal lunch on a Friday, and I can imagine it can get crowded, but well worth it. I'll be back!

1  Thank Deb O
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Terrific falafel, friendly staff, few tables, quick turnover…not a place to linger. Have been many times and glad they came to Davis Sq.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We arrived for an early lunch - we had the restaurant to ourselves and were impressed by the selections, cleanliness and friendliness of the staff. Amazing toppings - and yes, it was messy but so worth it.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I love that you can add your own toppings to the sandwiches at no extra cost, so much easier than trying to order each topping individually. I got takeout and they actually held up surprisingly well. Would definitely come back and the price is right!