“Worth the Trip!”
Review of Iyo Bistro

Iyo Bistro
Ranked #212 of 314 Restaurants in Somerville
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Description: Located in Somerville's Davis Square, Iyo Bistro is serving up some of the best fresh roasted coffee, pastries, authentic falafel, charcoal grilled plates & sandwiches, and of course, their famous frozen yogurt.
Reviewed 5 December 2012

If you're in the Davis Square area you've got to try iYo. For a frozen yogurt shop it has a lot of atmosphere and wifi to boot! It's self serve frozen yogurt with all the decadent toppings you need. Lots of flavors to choose from and the staff is cheery and helpful. I'll be back soon!

1  Thank BrianfromBoston

Reviewed 29 November 2012

Hell to the yeah!

That's how I felt when this place finally opened about a month or so ago. Two at most.

I had walked and driven by it dozens of times, scoping it out every time only to still find a 'Coming Soon' sign on the window. Right next to the words 'Self-Serve Frozen Yogurt'. It was torture. TORTURE! But no longer as the place is now operating and doing quite well based on how many people are in there when I come in.

The concept of iYo Cafe itself is simple and comes down to three things: an expresso bar, a cook-it-yourself waffle station and some delicious, self-serve frozen yogurt. Add some seating and a sprinkle of wifi and that's basically the place in a nutshell. The decor is minimal and contemporary, with some bare brick walls which give it a nice industrial look. The place is almost cozy.

While I haven't had their coffee (or tea for that matter) or any of their baked goods, I've splurged numerous times on their numerous frozen yogurt flavors - my favorite, hands down, is their white mousse one which almost tastes like marshmallow. It's unlike anything I've had and tastes absolutely fantastic. There's a bunch of other flavors and I think either 8 or 10 in total. Some also rotate as I recently found out; they had swapped the salted caramel for peanut butter. Each flavor they offer is quite unique and while some are a bit light on flavor, most are pretty good. However don't be mistaken, the calories are still pretty high - don't think that you're completely off the hook. And once you've filled up your cup, you can choose from dozens of toppings from mochi balls to crumbled heath bar, and from fresh pineapple to gummy bears. They have it all and it's quite impressive. And you get to control what you put on there yourself since it's self-serve so you can't complain about anyone shorting you on anything. Just keep in mind that you pay by weight.

All in all, on my five or so trips there I've been pretty impressed. The frozen yogurt is pretty good, the staff friendly and the place is sparkling clean. They have a good selection of things to nosh on and which are meticulously arranged in their glass counter. At some point maybe I'll get to try one of them... Maybe this winter when resisting frozen yogurt will be easier?

All in all the place is great and fills a great gap in Davis Square. A delicious, frozen gap. The flavors are varied enough to appeal to everyone and if you consider the various toppings, that means that there's thousands of different options available to anyone. My only hiccup so far is that I found it to be a bit pricey but in most cases, worth it. Oh and what happened to the awesome, wooden spoons that you guys used to have? They were awesome! Now they're plastic? Boo! :(

1  Thank JeremyKrantz
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I can't really compare to all the other yogurt places that are doing this concept but I absolutely love this place! There are 6 softserve machines in the wall with 2 flavors per machine. The topping bar that runs along the other wall has just about every option you can think of. And I would always recommend the Carmel sauce but the hot fudge is delicious as well. Once you fill up your cup its priced by weight. I think my favorite flavor of yogurt so far was the peanut butter, I hope it comes back soon! We've been here every week since it open at the beginning of August. Love the atmosphere, love the frozen yogurt.

1  Thank jannaweber