“Good change of pace!”
Review of Bronwyn

Bronwyn
Reserve with OpenTable
Bronwyn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 313 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We had cut out a review of Bronwyn months ago and tried it on a whim on a cold Wednesday night in March. Parking easily, just steps away, we found room at the bar to order dinner. There is a very IMPRESSIVE beer list and we chose a delightful dark and a lighter beer. Both had complex and delightful flavors. Our dinners were on the lighter side: the small wurst plate got points for the "curried" wurst but not the pigskin; the burger was generous with great onion rings! German chocolate cake topped off the evening. Nice pub dinner with casual German dining. Not quite
"Grandma's" but good for greater Boston.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Once in a while really like German food and we think TW Food (the owners' other restaurant) is divine. So gave this a go on Saturday with friends. booked a couple of days ahead for 6 pm.

is in the heart of union square with parking outside, go in through the bar area to the dining area with well planned mismatched chairs. Has a good vibe and already was filling up.

Service was excellent with well trained staff. The beer list is huge and fun to read and i had a Czech pilsner which was what I was after.

To start had the soft pretzel with the hot mustard. The pretzel is fresh and soft and boy is the mustard hot; be warned but a fun experience and the hot hit dissipates quickly.

My dining companion and I shared the big plate of home-made wursts. We were going to each get the mini plate but the waitstaff pointed out that for only a dollar more we could share this bigger plate; so we did. Was great to try the very different wursts; very fresh and quite different to each other. Came with sauerkraut and potatoes.

Could not resist the German chocolate cake for dessert (what else!). Rather over indulgent but great counterpoint to the sausage.

During dinner the restaurant really filled up and the tables are quite close together, which does add to the atmosphere, but did get noisy. Definitely other items on the menu would like to try another time

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I had heard so much about it, I went alone without a reservation on a trip to Boston. It was a Friday but very early 4:50PM. There were some diners and half a dozen at the bar, but plenty of empty tables. The young hostess told me that she could not seat me at a table because they wre all reserved for between 5-6:30 pm. I told her I preferred not to eat at the end of the bar. She finally seated me. How long can one diner take to eat diner without interfereing with all her reservations.She said they would hurry my order so that I could have a table. By the time I left, there were still plenty of the two-tops open.
The menu is interesting, but so much more limited that I had expected. The preparations are innovative and worth trying. Do not miss out on the Bretzel. It is huge and comes with a delicious horseradish mustard. You can share this among two or three people.
The snitzel that I tried included two large pieces of tender breaded pork, but the paprika cream sauce was too sweet for me and seemed counter to the intent of a snitzel.The red cabbage was great.
Lots of German beer selections and always a price fixe menu available. On street parking with meters.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We had an early weekday dinner - when we arrived the restaurant was almost empty. Which meant we had lots of time and attention from our server. Of course, we had to start with the homemade soft and delicious pretzel. Our server was very helpful in selecting beers. The choices were many and wonderful. We had the wurst plate, the cabbage salad, and the spatzle. Everything was flavorful, perfectly prepared, adequately portioned, and delicious.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Ate at Bronwyn on New Years Eve. The food was great, the beer was excellent. The restaurant had a great vibe - even if the chair I was given was short and had me feeling like I was sitting at the kids table.

The head chef makes a fantastic meal. I'd definitely go back to this place.