“Very nice meal”

The Kirkland Tap & Trotter
Reserve with OpenTable
The Kirkland Tap & Trotter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 321 Restaurants in Somerville
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Harvard Square
Description: Located around the corner from one of Chef Maws' food idols - Julia Child's house - in Somerville, The Kirkland Tap & Trotter's atmosphere embodies an eclectic and cozy neighborhood vibe akin to some of the best "gastropubs" in England. "The Kirkland Tap & Trotter is an 'every night of the week' kind of establishment, serving favorites you would find my friends and family gathered around on a Monday night," says Chef Tony Maws, who first introduced Bostonians to his cuisine in 2002 with Craigie Street Bistrot, later reincarnated as Craigie on Main in 2008.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I really liked this place. The atmosphere was good and the food was excellent. the table was a little small, which made it awkward at times but overall a very nice evening. My chicken dish was really moist and tasty and the sides were all very good. My daughter's tuna dish was amazing. Good portions as well. Gald we decided to make the trek here.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We arrived early for our 7 pm reservation and were seating promptly. Greeted quickly by our server and given water. As our waiter said that he was the resident wine person, we asked him about 4 wines and he went in depth on them. We chose a French Picpoul which was as good as he described. After discussing the menu, we made our app and entrée choices with only 1 substitution requested. The place was packed and extremely noisy but, due to the industrial design we didn't expect much else. 20 minutes for a food runner to deliver food. My husband got mine and I got his. No big deal but, I saw it happen several times. Lots of food servers just hanging around, which I thought odd. My appetizer was a good size and very tasty as was my husband's. Once we finished the empty plates sat on the table for more than 10 minutes and several servers noticed. Finally a young runner asked if he could remove the plates. Now the wait. We noticed the patrons sit down at the table next to ours and ordered the Chef's tasting. 15 minutes, 20 minutes, no entrees. Then the table next to ours gets food which looked exactly like what we ordered. At 30 minutes a manager came by asked if everything was ok. We told him of the wait and he went directly to the pass. Our waiter went with him. Less than a minute later the manager returned with a beautiful salad of radishes, ricotta and strawberries very apologetic as the server delivered the food to the table next to us. Our waiter came over and apologized as well. Wen our entrees finally arrived they were DELICIOUS!!! And the side dish of mushrooms...oh my! When we finished our entrees the manager returned to see how everything was and to bring us a dessert on the house. We were not charged for our entrees. They did the right thing. We will definitely go back...but not on a Saturday night.

1  Thank MFMaven53
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Four of us sat for a meal here, and we are all foodies. This seemed a bit much in price for what we got. It's like we were paying for Tony Maw's expertise and to me (also eaten a Cragie) we were left wondering what all the fuss was about. Sure the food was very good, but then again, you are paying through the nose for it. The wine list in a bar, yes it is a bar, should not have so many options over $100. The dinners at nearby restaurants in this very crossroads are comparable yet cheaper. I won't be in a hurry to go back at these prices. There are too many options for good food, even in Somerville, and then we are a hop to Cambridge, Arlington and Boston where the choices are abound.

2  Thank Waidesworld
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was our 4th visit since it opened. The Food: delicious, bordering on the unusual. The Drinks: huge selection and they encourage you to sample the beers on tap. The Service: knowledgeable and friendly. Tony does it again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had been meaning to try KT&T out for a while and finally got there last week. I am a fan of Craigie on Main and was curious to see this more casual, less expensive offering. It did not disappoint. We shared the house made pate which came with yummy pickled onions and 2 kinds of mustard. My husband had the duck - it was a special - and it was fantastic with a homemade hoisin sauce. I went the route of 2 appetizers and had a salad with ricotta, strawberries, pistachios and pickled raisins, along with a fried ocean perch appetizer. Both were excellent and together the perfect size for dinner. Dessert was also excellent - he had oatmeal ice cream sandwhiches with guiness ice cream and I had panna cotta. We will definitely return. Note - it is a bit loud so could be hard for large groups.