“Nice reno work on this older property! Love it!”

Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Somerville
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The renovation work on this clearly older property is stellar. Super modern fixtures and the tv set up in the room was amazing- a HUGE tv on a full motion mount made our trip very relaxing.I have stayed in many, many 'fancier' hotel chains and this was far better than many rooms I would pay double or triple for. The night auditor that checked us in the middle of the night was very kind and helpful. The room type and location of the room that was requested was exactly what we received. The Bath and Body Works bath products smelled amazing and my husband and I all in all loved our stay here during a stressful relocation process.

As far as negatives, I will say that we had a massive spider dangling over the bed when we walked in- not a huge deal because we caught him but it was unnerving. Additionally the night auditor told us there were ice machines on every floor- but after checking I found them only on odd number floors. The lobby upon check in had some dead crickets and trash on the floor- not exactly the best curb appeal considering how nice the rooms are!

This hotel is worth it, and deserves more respect than a typical Holiday Inn might garner. The management clearly tries very hard to make the property successful and a haven for guests. I would put family or friends here without hesitation, and would welcome a chance to stay here again.

Room Tip: higher floors have a sweet view of downtown Boston!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Stormycakes,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed our renovation and had a comfortable and relaxing stay with us. I do want to apologize for the couple of hiccups you did experience, a spotless guestroom and knowledgeable staff is our constant goal, and I have shared this with the housekeeping and front office teams for review.
The greatest compliment we can get from any of our guests is to know they will recommend us and come back! Thank you again for your kind words and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The room, was spacious but the soap holder should be install in front of the showel wall not the left side of the of the wall. MY left elbow was hit on that soap holder when I was taking a shower the first day I arrived and I was in pain for more than a day!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Julian O,
Thank you for your review. I have shared your comments with our Chief Engineer, so that he may look into placement of the soap dishes in our guest rooms. We appreciate you letting us know about this, feedback from our guests is vital so that we may improve. Thank you for staying with us.

Terri

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel to be close to Tufts and because it was a reasonably affordable option. The hotel was typical Holiday Inn. If you are planning to visit Tufts, it is about a 15-20 minute drive away. The immediate neighborhood around the hotel is not inviting, so, you will want to drive if you don't want to eat meals at the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 50Continental_Drift

Hello 50Continental_Drift,
Thank you for sharing with us feedback on your stay with us. We are very close to Tuft's and a great value. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Arrived here having booked two TWIN rooms (two beds per room)- you guessed it, they place us in doubles (one big bed per room). After several rounds of 'musical rooms' we end up with the best they can offer - not nice at all. One of us has to sleep in a 'fold-away' bed, all we get is a pile of sheets placed in the room - we have to make this bed ourselves. Wow.
During the process of looking for twin rooms, the receptionist was one or two notches above outright rude, the process of getting checked-in resembled how I imagine arrivals are in a boot-camp. Not in the least bit (meant to be) pleasant.
Rooms were very noisy - frequently woken up by road noise (mainly trucks).
Tried the restaurant, once - never again. Our daughter (14 at the time) said she preferred to go hungry than to eat whatever it was on her plate. Skipped breakfast here because of that.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nossi
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Nossi,
Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize for your stay not exceeding your expectations. I will share your comments with our entire team so that we can review and improve based on your feedback. We have completely renovated our restaurant since your stay, and also have a new Chef with some great new menu items.
I do hope when you are back in the Boston area you will give us another try, so we have the opportunity to win you over.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This hotel fulfilled my criteria in choosing a hotel: cleanliness, comfortable bed, indoor pool, reasonable price & free parking. Apparently, this combination is so hard to find in the expensive city of Boston. I am glad to have found this place right outside of Cambridge & will be returning soon. Metro station was just a few blocks away & only 3 stops to the center of Boston. My kids were amazed by the hotel's activity center with a basketball court, billiard, foosball, rock climbing wall & a movie screen; all indoors, next to the swimming pool. I was most impressed by the firm, comfortable beds & room furnishings that resembled a 4-star hotel. The hotel's only restaurant served average food, but the friendly staff & Kids-Eat-Free offer made it a good deal. I had a low expectation out of Holiday Inn in general, but this place deserves high praise.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for your great review! We love our hotel, and when guests such as yourself give us such high praise, we are so grateful. I am so pleased you and your family enjoyed our hotel and found out what a gem we are when staying in the Boston area. We look forward to you coming back to visit us again soon!
Thank you!

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

My wife booked a room here to celebrate my birthday. We traveled with our 5 year old son. It was am amazing experience.

The manager upgraded us to a suite for my birthday, and also sent up champagne and chocolate. These are touches that simply don't happen in every hotel. I can't thank the staff enough for making the weekend so special.

We have stayed here twice before and enjoyed the convenience that the hotel provides, but the improvements that have been made really put it over the top. My son loved the new sports deck. He could not get enough of the heated pool, rock wall, and basketball court. He wanted to go the pool area as much as he wanted to go into town for the Children's Museum and Aquarium.

The free parking and shuttle service are also a big draw for us. Hotels right in Boston charge so much for parking. This hotel is easy to get to, and has a big parking lot. We took advantage of the shuttle both of the days that we stayed. It was on time and conveniently dropped us at the Aquarium or Quincy Market. We also called for a pickup to bring is back to the hotel. It is an incredibly convenient amenity.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. It will always be our go to place to stay in Boston.

Stayed: April 2014
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Wtb33,
Thank you for your amazing review! It is truly our pleasure to provide great service to our guests. We were thrilled to help you celebrate your birthday, and we're delighted you had a memorable experience with your family. What an honor for us to be your hotel of choice when visiting Boston--Thank you! We will see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Holiday Inn appeared to be a decent place to stay.

The buffet was horrible although we ordered dessert and it was delicious... no big deal there is plenty of food in the city of Boston.

The shuttle drivers were late every day that we used it... not a huge issue.

HOWEVER, I accidentally left my bathing suit in the bathroom Sunday morning. I called Monday morning. I spoke to the housekeeping manager and she said that the woman who cleaned the room did not find a bathing suit... unacceptable.

I will never stay here again. I'm complaining to everyone that will hear - travelers beware!!!

Room Tip: top floor was quiet 9th floor specifically. Do you really want to stay at a place where your items...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Regine N

Hello Regine N,

I am so glad we were able to locate your bathing suit from our laundry and return it to to you! We know what it is like when you lose something, and getting it back is priceless, especially a bathing suit. I am sorry it took us a day or so to track it down, and you had to go through a little bit of panic that you had lost it forever. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerville
La Quinta Inn & Suites Boston Somerville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Boston - Cambridge
Hampton Inn Boston / Cambridge
Fairfield Inn & Suites Boston Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
#2 of 19 in Cambridge
Hyatt Regency Cambridge, Overlooking Boston

Been to Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill? Share your experiences!