“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Somerville
Central NY State
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Pros - friendly and helpful staff, shuttle was convenient and timely, beautiful pool and rec area, very comfortable bed, quiet at night.

Cons - we wanted an extra blanket and were told the hotel did not have extras (odd!), breakfast was mediocre tasting at best (would be fine if it was free, but not liking having to pay for mediocrity.)

It was fine for a brief two night stay and I think I'd do it again if the price was good.

Btw - I know previous reviewers were concerned about the neighborhood. Yeah, it's not a wealthy area, but we did not feel unsafe or uncomfortable walking to the subway (10 min non hurried walk).

Stayed July 2014
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Hello maddiecat22,
Thank you for sharing with us this great feedback. I am pleased our team and shuttle were great experiences. I do apologize for breakfast, the chef is working on this menu, and for us to not have an extra blanket is inexcusable, and I will surely follow up on this.
Thank you again for letting us know about your stay, and for choosing us. I do hope you will be back to visit and experience a great breakfast.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Thai first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We checked in to the hotel (me, my wife, and two teenaged daughters) last night, room 221. We entered the room and my wife said "do you think it smells in here?" Looked in the bathroom and there was scum/backwash in the bathtub. Called to the desk to ask for a different room and were told "it's fine, that happens sometimes". My wife insisted we get another room, that the room smelled and she didn't like the moldy scum in the tub. The front desk relented and told her to come downstairs to get a new key, then put us in room 219 - right next door. (Passive-aggressive?) New room, same smell (to my wife and kids - I never smelled anything).

The wireless Internet wouldn't connect for me from the room, but I was able to connect from the lobby. Once connected, the sign-in screen wouldn't come up, so I couldn't actually do anything, then it magically appeared and started working. So I could do some work last night, but then this morning I had the same problem.

Breakfast was so-so. I had a mediocre omelet, wife and kids the buffet. Again disappointed. Staff were not terribly friendly, but weren't downright rude either.

We were able to get a discounted price, so all-in-all I'd give it a 3 for price-value, but the overall experience wasn't what one would hope for in a hotel.

In the end we decided to leave and check in to the Hyatt Regency Cambridge. $30 more per night, but it's a much nicer hotel and the lady that checked us in was downright jovial by comparison to her Holiday Inn counterparts.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rich T
Dear Rich T,
Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize for your experience at my hotel. To read about your stay, and that you checked out is very upsetting. I would really appreciate speaking with you directly about your stay. If possible please give me a call at 617 628 1000 so we can discuss further.
Again, my deepest apologies, and thank you for sharing this with us.
New York
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel, in a not-so-trendy section of trendy Somerville, is a bit out of the way, but has amenities which more than compensate for it, and make it a great deal for visiting Boston. First, the rates are very competitive, the rooms and bathrooms are large and very functional, the heated pool area (yes, pool!), also has a climbing wall, ping pong and foosball tables and comfy couches and lounge areas, and there are Zip Cars right on the premises. What more could you ask for?? Oh, and it's extremely quiet at night as well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your review! We are so pleased you found us to be such a great deal. Our amenities are great, especially our pool area. Thank you for choosing us, we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel was pricey, for the same price we should have chosen a better hotel. Poor, rude customer service. It's far from the city and you have to use the shuttle which has limited availability.

Price was expensive and did not include breakfast. Could have stayed in the city for the same price and have breakfast included.

Don't waste your money, choose wiser!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Max H,
Thank you providing us with this feedback. I sincerely apologize for us not making you feel we were a value. My team not showing anything but fantastic customer service is inexcusable, and I am very sorry for this. I will share your comments with the team so we may improve.
Please give us another try, we would love to welcome you back to our hotel.
Thank you again for sharing this with us.
Shavertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife, son and mother had to make a trip to Boston for a doctors appt. After searching numerous hotels, and finding out that many don't have parking or a pool, I came across this hotel, now yes it isn't in the city but really not very far from it, plus there is a shuttle that will get you there. From check in to my son spending time in the pool, to our dinner at the restaurant, the staff at this place is AWESOME! I would highly recommend staying here...The price was very good for what the hotel has to offer, and as a matter of fact, upon our checkout, we booked another stay for July for our next upcoming doctor's appt.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Matt G
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Hi Matt G,
Thank you for your 5 star review! We are so pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay with us--and to be called AWESOME, it such a compliment. We are excited to welcome you back to see us in July. Please let us know if you need anything prior to, or during your visit.
Thank you again!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Hotels in the Boston/Cambridge area are obscenely expensive. I'm glad that this hotel provides accommodation at a reasonable cost.

The rooms are comfortable (looks like the hotel was renovated not too long ago) and is conveniently located near the orange T line (about 10 min walk to the Sullivan station). Some may complain about the neighborhood, but it is a convenient location. For those who need to go to Cambridge area, there are bus stops about two blocks away that take riders to MIT and Harvard.

Staff are friendly. The only reason why I gave four stars instead of five is because of the reliability of the free internet. It dropped out or slowed to a crawl occasionally, probably because of the load from other customers on the same floor.

There was also some street noise early in the morning (truck or train?)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank nuboy
Thank yo for your review. It is so nice to see you enjoyed your stay with us and found us to be a great value. I would like to apologize for the internet, we know how important this is and it is something we are constantly working on to ensure our guests have no issues with it. Again, I am sorry this was not the case during your stay.
Thank you for choosing us, and for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I would not prefer the location but all the hotels in the city were sold out. Reminds me of old industrial town. I just stayed one night for business so it was fine. The rooms were good and and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Happy140
Terri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for your review. We are so sad to hear we are not your first pick due to the area. We are in a very busy area and so close to so much, the T, Union Square, Quncy Market, TD Garden and many more. Our rooms are great--and the beds so comfortable. We want to be your first pick next time and every time. Please let me know if you will be back in the area.
Thank you for this feedback, and please reconsider us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerville
La Quinta Inn & Suites Boston Somerville
#2 of 20 in Cambridge
Royal Sonesta Boston
Royal Sonesta Boston
#4 of 20 in Cambridge

Been to Holiday Inn Boston-Bunker Hill? Share your experiences!