“hidden gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Black Bass Grille
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
South Dartmouth, Massachusetts
“hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

I don't know where to start. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. Our server couldn't have been more courteous and professional. I was so great to enjoy great food and service on a nice summer nice out on their patio.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

“A friend and I decided to try out the...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

A friend and I decided to try out the Black Bass since the new ownership. We ordered a few drinks while we waited for our dinner (about 15mins). The server was training and had to run back to the kitchen to check on an allergy item. Even with the new server we enjoyed our meals and drinks. The atmosphere was very inviting. I personally enjoyed the wine selection. I have recommended the Black Bass Grille to several friends and cilents. Thank you for an enjoyable evening.

Newport, Rhode Island
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My husband and I had dinner for our...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

My husband and I had dinner for our anniversary at the Black Bass on June 25th and the food was fabulous!!! I love seafood and ordered the salmon which was cooked perfectly. My husband had the scallops and he really enjoyed them. He is a fisherman and stated that he had not had a better scallop entree. The chowder was great too! We also ordered some drinks from the summer menu which were pretty inventive. We live in downtown Newport and prefer this restaurant to most of the establishments here. Hats off to Mr. Rooney for his management as well as the friendly staff!!! We will look forward to having dinner there again!!!

North Dartmouth, Massachusetts
“Owner of the Black Bass is rude ignorant and not nice to the back of the house employees”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

My family and I had dinner there last week. We were appauled when we heard the owner of the Black Bass Mr Matthew Rooney yelling obscenities at the back ot the house staff. The dinning room all heard it. The kitichen staff looked like kids. We mentioned this to our waiter and he stated to us that the kitichen staff are all high school drop outs except the cook in charge. WOW he is 20 year old student who has no cooking education at all.
The food was not good at all. We told the waiter about this and he stated he is new there, other wait staff came over to us and added in to the conversation and also stating that most of the food is FROZEN like the MUSSELS. Who has frozen seafood in a seafood envirement. We were later told that Mr Rooney was terminated from his last employment The Kindsdale Inn where he was the excutive chef. I wonder why. It shows in the black bass. We will never go there again. RATING F-

Massachusetts
“Great Atmoshpere, Good Food, OK service, Bit Pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2009

We visited the Black Bass Grille Sat night on Columbus Day weekend 2009. The restaurant is located in the charming village of Padnaram in S.Dartmouth, MA. I had been there for lunch a couple times but never for dinner. My wife had been there before with a group of friends for dinner and they enjoyed their night. On this particular night when we arrived about 7:30pm there was only a 20 minute wait. We sat at the bar,had a drink and watched the game. My wife ordered a shiraz but we realized after she got a Red Zin ($6- nice pour)which was fine b/c she likes that as well. I had a Harpoon IPA ($4). About 15 minutes later the hostess sat us at a nice four-top in the corner.
The restaurant is small but very cozy and charming. It has about 10-12 seats at the bar and about 15 tables. Black Bass is the type of place that you can go to wearing cargo shorts and a hawaiin shirt or were a suit coat and both would fit in. (I will say that the service staff is dressed inappropriately though for a restaurant of this price point. Some of the waitresses were wearing tank tops and sleezy little skirts. I definitely didn't expect them to be dressed so "skanky". Some sort of staff dress code is definitely in order for this restaurant).
Our waitress (who was dressed a little better than the rest ) was pleasant and took our drink order. A short while later she brought us our drinks and took our dinner order. My wife ordered the surf n' turf ($29) which was a 8 oz filet with blue cheese crumbles and a balsamic reduction served with choice of lump crab cake or lobster (she got the crab). I ordered the broiled scallops ($17.95). Each dinner came with choice of potato and julienned mixed veggies. We didn't order apps but were hungry at this point so asked the server for some bread. A few minutes later she showed up with a basket of snowflake rolls and a container of butter (no charge). The rolls were still semi-frozen in the middle but we didn't say anything b/c they were free. It definitely would have been nice to have some warm rolls though. A while later our dinners came. The surf n' turf was very good. Nice cut of meat and very flavorful. The flavor and quality of the meat trumped the fact that it was a bit overdone (it came medium well but was ordered medium). My scallops were tasty if a bit sparse. I think I got about 6 small/med size scallops in a small casserole dish. Definitely expected a couple more especially since they were on the smaller side. We ordered another round of drinks during dinner, I got a Westport Rivers Chardonnay ($8) and she finally got here shiraz ($7.50). It did take forever for our waitress to come after we finished a good 20 minutes at least. It was fine b/c we weren't in a rush and were enjoying pleasant conversation but someone else may have been annoyed at the slow service.
All in all though it was a pleasant experience though a bit pricey. ($8 for a chardonnay is a bit much for this area ...on Fri night we went to Mike's Restaurant in Fairhaven and we ordered a craft beer and a glass of cab at the bar and the total was $7.50!). Food flavor and quality matched the price point and as I mentioned earlier it was a very charming restaurant in a charming area right on Apponagansett Bay.