“Friday Night” 5 of 5 bubbles

Black Bass Grille
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Marion, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friday Night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

I recently visited The Black Bass Grille with my wife, and I have to say the new owner has done some great things to the place. The new paint job and new rugs have added the much needed kick the place has been lacking, with the previous owner. When we were nearing the end of our meal, Matt Rooney (New/Current Owner) asked us how everything was, and I told him that everything was great. The waitstaff was great, tentative and very helpful, educated with the menu. My wife and I both had the chowder which was great not too thick but not to thin, My wife had the Lemon Dill Salmon which was grilled to perfect the spinach tomato topper was great, I had the Shrimp Scampi, which was great with sauteed Mushroom, Fennel, Garlic all of which was served in a creamy white wine sauce. We finished our meal off with the great dessert they call the "peanut butter bomb" which believe me is a bomb of peanut butter on your plate. Overall I would say that Matt Rooney, and The Black Bass Grille have done a lot to the restaurant and I see great things coming from that restaurant within the next year, I would recommend that if you are in the area and want to grab a bite to eat or just to grab a quick drink, The Black Bass is the place to go.

1 Thank SailingMarion1980

South Dartmouth, Massachusetts
“hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

I don't know where to start. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. Our server couldn't have been more courteous and professional. I was so great to enjoy great food and service on a nice summer nice out on their patio.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“A friend and I decided to try out the...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

A friend and I decided to try out the Black Bass since the new ownership. We ordered a few drinks while we waited for our dinner (about 15mins). The server was training and had to run back to the kitchen to check on an allergy item. Even with the new server we enjoyed our meals and drinks. The atmosphere was very inviting. I personally enjoyed the wine selection. I have recommended the Black Bass Grille to several friends and cilents. Thank you for an enjoyable evening.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Newport, Rhode Island
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My husband and I had dinner for our...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

My husband and I had dinner for our anniversary at the Black Bass on June 25th and the food was fabulous!!! I love seafood and ordered the salmon which was cooked perfectly. My husband had the scallops and he really enjoyed them. He is a fisherman and stated that he had not had a better scallop entree. The chowder was great too! We also ordered some drinks from the summer menu which were pretty inventive. We live in downtown Newport and prefer this restaurant to most of the establishments here. Hats off to Mr. Rooney for his management as well as the friendly staff!!! We will look forward to having dinner there again!!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
North Dartmouth, Massachusetts
“Owner of the Black Bass is rude ignorant and not nice to the back of the house employees”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

My family and I had dinner there last week. We were appauled when we heard the owner of the Black Bass Mr Matthew Rooney yelling obscenities at the back ot the house staff. The dinning room all heard it. The kitichen staff looked like kids. We mentioned this to our waiter and he stated to us that the kitichen staff are all high school drop outs except the cook in charge. WOW he is 20 year old student who has no cooking education at all.
The food was not good at all. We told the waiter about this and he stated he is new there, other wait staff came over to us and added in to the conversation and also stating that most of the food is FROZEN like the MUSSELS. Who has frozen seafood in a seafood envirement. We were later told that Mr Rooney was terminated from his last employment The Kindsdale Inn where he was the excutive chef. I wonder why. It shows in the black bass. We will never go there again. RATING F-

• 3 of 5 bubbles