“Inconsistent and mediocre”
Review of Sail Loft

Sail Loft
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
“Inconsistent and mediocre”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

OK, so I've been stupid enough to go back to the Sail loft twice since January, and sadly, the opinion remains the same: inconsistent food. Lunch with a friend a couple of weeks ago were burgers, medium rare. The burgers arrived, looking beautifully charred on the outside, stone cold and raw on the inside. After waiting for 5 minutes to see our waitress, I had to track her down in the kitchen. She took both our plates to the kitchen and brought them back to us in less than 2 minutes. Both plates had been put into the microwave and nuked, which rendered them gray and overcooked. Rather than asking for the burgers to be cooked to our specification, we finished our beers, paid and left.

So I threw caution to the wind the other night and went to the place for dinner on a Friday night. They had codfish tacos on the menu, which I ordered, only to be told they were "out". It is 7:30 pm and you are out of a special? And yet, the waitress suggested I have the lobster tacos or the seafood stuffed cod. SO explain to me how you can make tacos for the lobster tacos and cod for the seafood stuffed cod, but you are out of codfish tacos? I ordered the seafood stuff cod with lobster sauce; the cod and the lobster sauce had been so overly salted it was inedible. I was surprised, as my wife had ordered this meal when she was out with friends and enjoyed it. My friend ordered the mushroom meatloaf and it, too, was inedible due to a heavy hand in the kitchen with the worcestershire bottle. After explaining to the waitress why we hadn't eaten our meals, she actually asked us if we wanted to take the meals home...

The only good thing going for the Sail Loft is the the beer, and Thursday nights are good when Butch McCarthy is playing guitar. But that is about all. Very sad, as it is an ideal location for a great restaurant. Below "pedestrian" at best.

You'll get a much better meal by driving 10 minutes up the road to Not Your Average Joes. Or drive into downtown New Bedford for some really great food. But skip the Sail loft unless you just want a beer and some live music.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank AnneC1318

Orlando, Florida
“Dog on the Table! Ugh...”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Was on the outside deck Friday 5/10/13 for a burger to enjoy the beautiful weather and interesting view of a working marina - Nice. However, a table next to us allowed their dog to hop up on the chair and then the table top. NOT CUTE! NOT SANITARY. They don't even do this in France!

What is wrong with these people?

Ordered medium burger - arrived RAW - sent it back - 25 minutes to get re-served. Could have done better than that!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank uncajimmy
“Surprise in Dartmouth”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Made it back to the Sail Loft after having tried it a few times shortly after they had opened and decided to give it another try. The choices of food were limited, but after hearing good things since they had just hired a new chef, we tried it again. I was sadly disappointed. The food was only adequate, as was our server. At 7:00 there were a few diners seated while the bar area was pretty full. Within 1/2 an hour the restaurant filled up and the noise level accelerated to the point where we had a hard time talking among ourselves. It's a great spot for meeting your friends but maybe for a drink or appetizer, although I will give it another shot - but not too soon.

• Visited April 2013
“Move over Black Bass”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Well it didn't take long for the Sail Loft to become the place to be in Padanaram once again. The food, the friendly atmosphere and of course the staff has made the place a great place to meet, drink and dine. Make sure we keep getting specials to ensure the menu doesn't go stale.

• Visited February 2013
Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts
“Amazing Food. WAY TOO LOUD”
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Finally made it to the Sail Loft after hearing good things about it. So tough to find a quality restaurant in this area. First the positives: AMAZING food. The chef obviously has a worldly perspective on food and some amazing training. Huge portions which is nice (take some home!) Diverse menu. The wine list is above average for the area. The Matchbook chard was very nice. The negatives: Felt like a ski lodge - not a great ambiance to match the amazing food. I'm not old and grumpy but the music in the bar was so loud and the acoustics so bad that I had to scream to talk to my wife next to me. Bartender was nice but definitely taking care of her friends first. I think this would be best during the day or not on a busy after work Friday (which is when we attended). Honestly this would have received 5 stars if it leaned more towards Persimmon in Bristol or Daniel in NYC to match the quality of the food.

Visited January 2013