“Ski/Winter Sports area for all”
Review of Catamount Ski Area

Catamount Ski Area
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on the border of Massachusetts and New York State, ski area offers trails on both the Berkshire Mountains and the Taconic Range.
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Although the ski runs weren't open when I was there (some snow had fallen and they were busy making more snow, preparing the runs), I could see the potential the area had in terms of providing something for everyone in the winter sports arena. It looked like a smallish, not too over-developed area that was family friendly and with good potential for the skier - especially with floodlights for night ski-ing.

3  Thank TeigerST
in 11 reviews
"lodge"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We live in a nearby town in Connecticut. I know this type of facility as a ropes course and not a zipline.
When you arrive in the base facility @ Catamount you sign the required waivers and then you begin a helpful and short instructional presentation. This instruction provides the basics of the safety equipment. For first timers, take comfort in knowing that this an extremely safe and well maintained course and facility.

You are given instruction on how to clip in and out of the various obstacles and then you put on your harness in the base lodge. You exit the lodge area for a short walk to the beginning of the course.
You have the option to go as hard or as easy as you like. The course is broken up into various color coded levels that become more difficult and higher in the trees the further you go. Throughout the course you encounter instructors that will provide help and assitance if needed. You are always in control of how far you go. Once you decide you have hit your limit you then begin a series of zig zag ziplines down to the base. The ziplines cross over the now snow barren ski trails below. When I recently visited the course in September I climbed with my oldest son, 15 years old, for about 2 hours.
I was done after 2 hours and I made it halfway through the black course.

If you intend to try and hit the upper course you really have to be in decent shape. It does take a fair amount of energy and some guts to reach the upper course. My son continued to the top black course which took him an additonal hour or so.

From my finish point I took @ 6 segmeted ziplines to exit the course. it was great to just zoom over the trials and let the breeze cool me off.

The best time to visit the course is mid- week. The crowds do become an issue on the weekends and the more people the slower your accent to the top. If you get behind some slow climbers do not hesitate to ask to pass them when you finish one obstacle just prior to starting the next one. Most people are pretty cool with being passed if you do it nicely. Plan on spending at least 2 hours on the course.

Once you finish you can have lunch at the base lodge.The food is pretty typical of what you would expect of a ski lodge in the off season. There is a bar on premise for the adults which is good. The menu is limited here too but better than the base lodge. Your best bet is to have fun on the course and then access nearby Great Barrington, Ma or Sheffield, Ma for lunch.

The ropes course is really a nice facility . The hardware on the obstacles is in good shape. No rust or excess wear and tear. Everything worked well with no malfunctions during our visit.

One concern is during check in. If you get stuck behind a big group it can hurt your experience. Be ready to fill out your paperwork and put your harness on.

2  Thank rick g
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We've been going to Catamount for a couple years and, as an occasional snowboarding family with beginner to intermediate skills, we can't think of a better place! The mountain is big enough with a variety of trails and plenty of places to learn. The staff is friendly. The lift tickets are reasonably priced, especially compared to some smaller, overcrowed mountains in our area (Ski Sundown). The instructors are very good, lots of fun to work with, and professional. Even the patrons are polite and a pleasure to be on the mountain with. It gets pretty packed on weekends with good weather but they do a stupendous job grooming the trails. It is even a place where I feel comfortable and secure leaving my stuff around without lock and key.

We were on the mountain yesterday and the conditions were the best ever with the recent natural snowfall, even three days into Spring! There is an on site cafeteria style lodge and a pub and everything is in very good shape, especially compared to some other affordable mountains that seriously lack in the maintenance department (Otis). I highly recommend playing hookey from work and going mid-week in March for a $20 lift ticket deal and amazing Spring skiing or snowboarding, just make sure to pre-purchase online.

3  Thank Alison S
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I teach skiing, so this review celebrates the small and memorable Berkshire-local ski area. I come here when not at the larger resort where I teach (not local). The owners are another generation in a family committed to alpine skiing. The price is reasonable and variety of trails matches the price. They cannot control New England weather, but do a good job grooming and snowmaking. If you like ropes courses - for summer - they have one of the BEST in Northeast.

2  Thank Gay T