“We didn't get to go here but...”

Werner Schmidt Observatory
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“We didn't get to go here but...”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I read that during the summer you can go here every Thursday night and look at the stars and ask questions of the astronomers. I emailed asking if this was true for September and was told sadly no, in the off Season they only meet once a month. However, I was told that if I just went out on the beach that evening my husband and I could see not only a ton of stars, but an arm of the Milky Way, due to the high pressure system that was moving through.

It was completely unsolicited advice but completely welcome. We went out that night and were amazed by what we saw. Thank you so much to whomever gave me that tip -- you helped give my new husband and I a memorable evening on the second night of our honeymoon.

Visited September 2012
7 Thank jae2183

Concord, New Hampshire
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Wonderful Time”
Reviewed 6 August 2011

My wife and I had a wonderful time visiting the Werner Schmidt Observatory and Cape Cod Astronomical Society during one of their recent Thursday evening star-gazing events.

You can visit each Thursday. The first Thursday of the month they have a speaker in the Dennis-Yarmouth High School Library at 7:30pm followed by the star-gazing in the observatory if the weather cooperates. We haven't attended a lecture, but it looks like it could be interesting.

On all other Thursdays just show up at 8:30pm and they'll show you the universe, literally, through their 16" and 18" telescopes. We saw a lot and learned a lot. Everyone was very friendly and although they knew a lot more about astronomy than us, made us feel welcome and were very helpful.

And, there was no charge. It was great! We can't wait to do it again.

Visited August 2011