“Worst Customer Service Experience Ever!”

Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in South Yarmouth
A TripAdvisor Member
“Worst Customer Service Experience Ever!”
Reviewed 21 September 2004

This establishment doesn't perform basic services when asked (such as preparing a fold-out bed or roll-away), does not give you enough towels or make up the beds (even though they claim they are a full-service establishment), and has dirty linens in the closet which you are expected to use to make up the bed yourself. Bear in mind, this place charges an average of $300 a night. When we called down, the receptionist was rude, uncooperative, would not give us any clean linens, and said that maintenance couldn't come up because they were "getting ready to leave." She then had the audacity to tell us that this was OUR FAULT because we'd "checked in too late." It was just after 10pm, and nowhere had we been informed that we had to check in by a certain time (even when I called to confirm the reservations, the room accomodations which were not given to us, etc.) The place reeked of cigarette smoke, and the furniture had a moldy, decaying feeling to it (and was stained...like the sheets.) The fire place didn't work, and neither did some of the lights. Frustrated by the accomodations and the lack of service, we asked for our money back and went elsewhere. At $300 a night, I expected much better treatment (and nicer rooms) -- the managers of the Ocean Club don't seem to understand that good customer service is the mainstay of any successful business, and so I don't recommend patronizing them.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Reviewed 20 September 2004

We just stayed at the Ocean Club for our anniversary weekend in an "oceanview" room. (which was more like parking lot view). I think I expected more than we got. The rooms are very small and not exceptionally clean. The bed was hard as a rock. The "balcony" was tiny, there was room for maybe 2 people to stand out there. (forget about putting even one chair out there) Basically every room looks over the parking lot (which can be loud), then the ocean is behind that. There were people drunk in the hallway from 2-3 A.M. making tons of noise. The front desk people weren't rude, but they weren't close to being polite either. I also found them very unprofessional looking, as they were dressed in sweats. They never asked how our stay was, just took our keys and that was it. They seemed very indifferent about anyone in the lobby. I have stayed at many timeshares and this one was a big disappointment. Next time we visit the cape we will definatly stay in a "chain" hotel in Hyannis, it would be cheaper and definatly better.

• Stayed September 2004
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 August 2004

For nearly $300/ night, I was expecting something really nice. The hotel advertised jacuzzis in each room, fireplaces, beachfront or beachview rooms, etc. I was travelling with two friends, and we made the reservation for three. We reconfirmed that we would be three people the morning of our check in date. When we arrived, the woman at the check-in desk looked us up and down and asked how old we were. (My friends and I are 24, 23, and 22, and though we look young, we certainly did not look like we didn't belong there, or were about to cause this woman any trouble.) She told us that she couldn't put our room on multiple credit cards because "it costs us money for each transaction, you know" -- not the sign of a service-oriented place. When we arrived at our room, the extra bed was not made up, there were not enough towels, the linens in the closet for the extra bed were dirty, there were no pillowcases on the extra pillows, and the fireplace did not work. When I called down to the desk, the same woman very rudely told me that I was supposed to make up the bed myself, and that she couldn't provide me with clean linens because housekeeping had left at 4. When I mentioned that the fireplace didn't work, she said that she wouldn't send someone up to fix it because he was going to be leaving the premises soon. She then told me, "If you don't like it, you can have your money back." I'm really not sure what sort of hotel would rather lose nearly $600 than provide basic services for its guests. Luckily, I had some relatives on the Cape, so we were able to check out and "have our money back." When we came downstairs to check out, the woman muttered at me, "this'll be better for the both of us." Judge for yourself what kind of an establishment would have such an employee working for them.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 June 2004

We love Cape Cod, MAvery much.
We both hope to go back soon.
The people were very nice to us.
The motel was nice and cozy and you had a
nice view of the oceanfront. The motel we
stay at was Ocean Club Smugglers Beach Motel.
We took a trip to Nantucket Island and went on
tour on the island. We learned alot about the
history on Nantucket Island. We also went on
Whale Watching trip too. Barnstable Marina Mills.
I'll say it again, WE LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 April 2004

I recently spent Easter week touring Cape Cod and the New England Coast. This was our first trip to the New England coast and we had a great time. We were still in the off season so a lot of restaurants and tours were not open for business. We visited Falmouth, Sandwich, Yarmouth, Hyannis, Provincetown. These coastal communities were very scenic and I can imagine in the summer very busy with tourists. The beaches in the area are outstanding. We also stopped in Plymouth(my favorite), Boston, Salem and drove to Maine to have our first Main Lobster Dinner. We enjoyed ourselves in all of these cities. We will definitely return, the next time in the summer to experience the full offerings of the area. I would highly recommend this area for a fabulous vacation.

Reviewed 9 February 2004

We stayed for our honeymoon and it was beautiful. It was very romantic.
Even the ocean view rooms were close to the ocean. We could hear the waves crash, very relaxing. The rooms were very clean. I give them an A+

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 July 2003

Very good! A great facility geared toward relaxation. Centered very well on the Cape yet far enough away fromt he hub-bub to enjoy the quiet.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Anchor In Hotel
#1 of 22 in Hyannis
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa

Been to Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach? Share your experiences!