“outstanding value” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in South Yarmouth
St. Thomas
“outstanding value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2009

A hidden gem is The Ocean Club on Smugglers Baech. The staff is the best around with only your comfort in mind. While the rooms need some updating the hospitality, cleanliness and ocean views are what make this resort so special. I now understand why it is always sold out when I want to visit. This is a timeshare resort for those not use to a timeshare atmosphere ease up and relax. If you want the Chatham Bars Inn or the Clarion or even the Cape Codder this resort is not for you.

The Activities Department located on the Beach is so much fun with activities for all my children where happy and that made me happy.

The Managers are always around and the staff strives for perfection with friendly hellos can I help you. On Saturday I received a call asking me if I needed anything and if everything was ok.

If you want down to earth friendly service look no furher

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank seasoned_travler56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
CT
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

The hotel is located on a beach and they have a nice enclosed pool but this does not make up for the price they charge for the rooms which are in serious need for renovation. The floorplan is odd – there is a double bed in one room with a hot tub in the open, there are pocket doors that lead to a separate area with a pull out couch and kitchen/fireplace, you have to walk by the bed in one "room" to get to the bathroom, the floor was discolored and warped, the lights flicked on and off (I was told due to humidity), the hot tub didn’t work 2 out of the 4 days we were they, our room overlooked a parking lot, the beds are hard, the linens cheap, the shower flow is almost nonexistent, the wallpaper is peeling off the walls, the TVs are in odd positions, we had trouble pulling the blinds open and when we finally did one fell off and there were ants on the floor. Considering what I paid a night, I expressed my disappointment with the front desk clerk who did offer me another room but said it would be smaller - I declined because they did call maintenance to fix the hot tub (but it broke again the next day) and the other room was in the middle of the place and I read reviews about the noise level of people running in the hallways. At least my room was quiet. I told her that I’d stay put but I wanted the manager to be informed of my concerns - she said she’d tell the manager but he/she never contacted me. I asked if I could have one of the "welcome buckets" that were piled in the front hallway and she told me no – they were for incoming guests and there were not enough. Two of the mornings we were there the pool was closed for maintenance yet the pool was only open until 7:30pm. There are no lifeguards anytime so I didn’t understand why the pool wasn’t left open until 9pm in peak season or at least do maintenance in the evenings so guests could swim in the mornings. They wouldn’t let my son in the hot tub (no one under 16) another disappointment. My husband was approached by a shady character about a time share. They offered complimentary coffee but danish’s etc you had to pay for. They gave you a parking pass to place in the car window (which I did). I happened to be at my car one day when a woman was about to write down my license plate for towing - I told her the pass was right there in the window - she didn’t see it - imagine had I not been there my car might have been towed. The morning of checkout at 9am my son was all suited up to go into the pool - we were told it was closed for maintanence (again). At checkout I stood at the counter for the clerk to finish up with a guest – as I waited she never once glanced at me or said "I’ll be right with you" – when she did speak to me I again expressed my disappointment over the money I paid and I filled out a hotel review card saying that I would write this review and provide photo’s and thought I deserved some money back. The clerk said she’d call over the manager but I waited and waited no manager came out - finally I had to run because my son took off and I had to chase after him – it wasn’t until my husband went back in to turn the keys that he overhead the manager openly criticizing me in front of the entire room – guests included – saying that I had no right to my money back since they offered to move my room. My husband was very upset - he told the person at the front desk that was the totally unprofessional for a manager to speak about a guest out in the open like that. I agree. For the record, if a manager spoke to me even once I wouldn’t be writing this review. We work hard for our money. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere cheaper and nicer and then drive to beach – its got bathrooms and it only $15 fee. I wish I had done that. If you have kids go to the Pirate Adventures. There is also a super stop and shop about a mile away. They have a great deli there. Also, Diplama Resturant and Sam Diego’s were ok to eat at.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Southport-TRIP
MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

My first impression when we walked completely around the building to find our room was that there was an overpowering stench of swamp at every turn. The hallways were not air-conditioned and most of the outer hallway windows were closed, making the walk most uncomfortable, because the windows that WERE open only allowed that smell to permeate throughout the hotel. I even find it difficult to call this place a hotel, never mind "resort". Check in was not until 4pm, but check out was at 10 am, so it averaged out at $17.00/hr, for which 8 were spent sleeping, or rather TRYING to sleep on a bed that should have long ago been replaced, due to excessive sagging in the middle of the bed and pillows I would throw away because they were so out of shape, I feel this was a complete rip off of an honest person's money. I've spent half the money at other hotels at just as nice as a location and have NEVER seen a continental breakfast that charged for everything but coffee. I suppose my worst experience was the shower, which was slimy and you had to close the bathroom door completely just to open the shower door. I was also very disappointed when I expected a balcony to find that OUR balcony was a sliding widow that was directly above the office entrance, which had a rail directly behind it...we had no balcony at all. Although the beach was beautiful, I certainly don't think it was worth the outrageous fees we were charged. At check out we voiced our concerns and were directed to a manager, who although my husband was standing at her doorway for at least, spent this time conversing on the phone rather than providing assistance. When he was finally able to voice his concerns, she merely apologized, stated nobody has ever complained before and that she would personally go check out the bed. There was no offer of a partial refund or even a complimentary breakfast!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MARKD70
Wyckoff, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

We stayed for a week at The Ocean Club on Smuggler's Beach. This was a time-share getaway. We had a one bedroom with a small balcony - unit 52. This resort is on the ocean side right at the mouth of the Bass River. It's a great location and accesssible to Rt. 28 where there a lots of things to do. Our room was lovely - appointed very bright and cheerful. Very clean. Accomodations were perfect for the two of us; but it would be crowded if there were others. There was no kitchen facility but knew that going in. There was a small bar sized refrigerator that met our needs; small bar sink; coffee pot; and untensils and dishware. There are outdoor grills on the property if you care to BBQ. There is a sitting area/dining area with a couch and gas fireplace and a glass table for eating. Perfect views from our room. Bedroom area also had a desk; dresser drawers and a jacuzzi tub; free in-room wi-fi available too. Also on property is a great enclosed pool right on the ocean. Patio area has tables and umbrellas and glass barriers so you can hear and see the ocean without feeling the wind.

Perfect time to visit the Cape because everything is opened up for business in the area but the crowds haven't arrived. If you're looking for breakfast, try the Breakfast Room on Rt. 28; the Lighthouse Cafe in Dennis on Rt. 28 or Bonnats in Harwichport. Tons of options for dining - from casual to fancy. There's a great Thia place in Patriot Square on Rt. 134. Seafood Sams is fresh and fast - but delicious. For more upscale try the Ocean House in Dennisport. - fabulous food and views - great service. Another great spot is the Oyster Company in Dennisport - they have live music several nights - early bird specials; etc. A more casual atmosphere - fantastic food!!! We love Cape Cod any time of the year and visit frequently. If you're looking for some theatre; check out the local playhouses - have seen some great shows in the small setting. Try Barnstable Comedy Club; Academy Playhouse in Orleans; etc. This resort is also near to Hyannis - from there there are many options for fun. Ferries to Nantucket; harbor cruises; fishing; shopping; the Cape Cod Railroad (great dinner excursions). If you get a chance - visit Cape Cod and definitely visit this resort - the area has much to offer and we hope to visit again and again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RKNewJersey
West Deptford, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2009

I am a single mom of 10 year old triplets. My sister offered me her time share and we decided to use it between Christmas and New Years 2008. We stayed at the most lovely Ocean Club Smugglers Beach in South Yarmouth. Despite the cold weather and uneventful going ons in the town during this time of year, we had an amazing time! The room would have been perfect for 2, but was just fine for the 4 of us! The bed and the pull out were very comfortable. The view from the window was amazing on the clear days we had. (only 2!) We visitied the ZOOQUARIUM, the JFK Museum and went bowling on the rainy days. We took the ferry to Martha's Vineyard, and drove across rte. 28 towards provincetown making many right turns to visit beaches. Our favorite beach was a place called Long Nook Beach on the Atlantic Ocean. It had a ton of dunes and hills and was a totally amazing view. We walked along the beach up at the top of providence and shopped and ate dinner at Bayside Betty's. At the hotel, the girls in the Activities center were really helpful and gave the kids tons to do! We swam in the pool every night! We spent our New Years Eve in the activity room and by that time we all felt like family. (even after my kids destroyed the patio with silly spring at midnight!) We didn't want to leave, and hope that someday in the summer, spring or fall we can return to The Ocean Club!

2 Thank bmbmomof3
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2008

Did an exchange for this resort Sept 12th-Sept 19th. Great location on the beach. The unit was very clean and well appointed. The staff were so helpful and friendly. This resort is managed well.

Close to restaurants and activities,that you may want to pursue.

Looking to going back.

Lizzie from Walpole MA

Stayed September 2008
2 Thank lizzie1
Santa Cruz, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2008

The hotel isn't in perfect condition but the location is great - right on the beach - the room was clean and had some nice mini-kitchen amenities. Stay on the second floor if you can - the views are better. I give the staff credit for handling the hurricane and accompanying power outages well. They gathered everyone together, gave information, free ice cream and candles for the rooms.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Dated rooms (but they were clean!)
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Sea Crest Beach Hotel
Sea Crest Beach Hotel
#6 of 20 in Falmouth

Been to Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach? Share your experiences!