“Things you should know about this place”

Blue Water on the Ocean
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in South Yarmouth
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Our family of 4 has been staying at the South Yarmouth Red Jacket properties every summer for about 10 years. When my kids were young we stayed at the Riviera Beach. Once they were about 10, we started going to the Red Jacket Beach. We most recently stayed at the Blue Water this past weekend for a brief one night stay.Now here are some things to know about the Blue Water:
1. The clientele is largely adults with no kids or adults with older kids (15 and up). There are very few kids under the age of 15 at this hotel.
2. The housekeeping staff is mezza mezza at best. They are very unfriendly and do a average to below average job cleaning the room. Our bathroom sink was not cleaned prior to our arrival nor was our bathroom stocked appropriately with towels.
3. Do not show up early thinking you are going to be able to check in prior to 3PM. You cant. There is NO chance you can do this during the summer. If you do show up early, use the facilities and just be happy you can do that. I am serious. Do not harass the front desk. Now with that being said,the front desk is a worn down beaten down group of individuals who are so tired of dealing with people looking to check in early, check out late, change their rooms etc that you will not see them smile. Nope. Not once. I almost felt bad for these folks but it is their job so maybe service with a smile ?

Folks need to know the Red Jacket resorts aren't Ritz Carlton luxurious type properties. They are $300+ a night type places that offer a clean safe room with nice pools and a nice beach. There are plenty of places to grab a bite to eat. Without a doubt, the Red Jacket properties are the nicest hotels in the Yarmouth area. They offer banana boat rides, jet ski rentals etc.

Its a fun place. The Blue Water attracts more of the drinking crowd. Thus the pool bar is open until 11PM.

Would I stay here again? Yes. The not so friendly staff wont scare me away. Would it be nice if they were more friendly? Sure but they didn't make or break my time here.

One pet peave for this place is their new ridiculous towel card policy. Annoying. You have to check out your towels and return them at the end of the day to get your card back or be charged $25.00 a towel. Ugh. Really ? You cant pay some high school or college kid $10 bucks an hour to walk around and pick up the towels left behind for $300+ a night?

It should be noted all of the red jacket properties recently bought new beach lounge chairs which are quite comfortable so kudos to them for that. I actually found the folks dragging those chairs out for everyone to be some of the nicest staff. Not an easy job and they were very friendly and smiled.

The Blue Water is a good place and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank HelloFromBoston
GMRivieraBeach, General Manager at Blue Water on the Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you for staying with us and we are sorry you encountered one of our staff member's who did not offer friendly polite service. It has always been very important to us to hear great remarks about our service. The remainder of your review certainly pointed out numerous items we do well and i am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you plan to return. One last note regarding the towel card policy, it may seem a bit of a bother however after extensive travel, and research, we found many other resorts utilizing similar programs with great success. We felt that as an ocean front resort catering to hundreds of guest's it was imperative to create a program wherby we could offer clean towels to all our guests all day long. In order to do this correctly a system had to implemented. This is our third season now and we have heard very little dissatisfaction with the program. We apologize if using a card was a bother however it does promote immediate availability for all our registered guest to have clean towels all day long. We appreciate your business very much and hopefully my explanations help clarify why certain programs exist. Hope you enjoy the remainder of your summer season.

There are newer reviews for Blue Water on the Ocean

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Resort is centrally located between Cape Cod attractions and the ferries to the islands. The beach is nice and large. There are no waves in the ocean in this area. It is like being at a lake.
Resort has lots of ammenities. Beach chairs, umbrellas, and towels are provided. There are both indoor and outdoor pools and a putting green. There is a beach bar and a pub bar. In the summer, dinner is served at the beach bar 2 nights a week and in the dining room the rest of the week. Menu is a bit small and gets rather repetative. Dinner selections are reasonably priced, but breakfast items are a bit expensive. Taste of food varied. The lobster mac & cheese was DELICIOUS! The lobster roll was rather bland the first time we had one, but tasted better another day. Burgers and salads were very good. The corned beef hash was totally different from any I've ever had before and not that good. While the BBQ ribs and hash brown potatoes were way too spicy and just disgusting. You can dine at the other Red Jacket resorts in the area for more variety.
I didn't like that guests had to wear an armband during their stay. I didn't think I was staying at an all-inclusive in the Caribbean. The only good thing about this is that you can use the facilities at the other Red Jacket resorts in the area, and the public can't get in. Just make your band big enough to slip on and off.
We had an oceanfront efficiency and had a large spacious room with a nice balcony overlooking the ocean. It was nice to have a table and chairs on the balcony so we could have our meals outside.
The room appeared to be recently renovated. The carpet and furnishings appeared to be fairly new. We were supposed to have 2 doubles, but had a murphy bed and 2 twin beds. The kids were happy to have their own beds. I was skeptical of the murphy bed, but it was surprising comfortable. We also had a LARGE selection of pillows and I was pleased to find one I loved.
Bathroom was a good size and the maid left a good supply of linens and toiletries. I was VERY unhappy that the maid service did not include washing dishes! I've never been to a hotel that didn't.
Resort is very family oriented. Our kids found many new friends to play with. If you are looking for a romantic getaway this probably isn't the place for you.
I find very few places that I would be interested in staying at again, but I would like to return to Cape Cod someday, and will consider another stay at this resort.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank HUSKERTRAVELER

Thank you for your recent stay and also for taking time to write a review of your visit. The Blue Water offers a great family getaway located directly on the warm waters of Nantucket Sound. The staff and manager's strive daily to exceed our guest 's every expectation and offer clean comfortable guest rooms. We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Me and my wife just spent a weekend here and we really enjoyed it. The Blue Water Resort is located right on the beach and also offers both indoor and outdoor pools. Although we were not able to walk to any of the attractions we were interested in, they were truly only a 5-10 minute ride by car. Really not a problem for us and should not be for you. For the most part the staff was friendly except for the head bartender Barbara, she was rude and very unfriendly. Oh and did I mention unprofessional, she literally charged me three different prices on three consecutive occasions for the same drink order. The rooms were nice, clean and comfortable,much nicer then other rooms I have stayed in at beach resorts. Worth a stay , but if you decide to go for a cocktail avoid Barbara the head bartender, she is a buzz kill.

Room Tip: Room 179 is on the corner and very private.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jim J
GMRivieraBeach, General Manager at Blue Water on the Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you for your recent stay and also for taking the time to review your experience while you were here. I have looked into your complaint about our staff member and will attempt to use your comments as a way of pointing out a guest's perspective of our service. We ceratinly hope you will return and enjoy all we have to offer and we will work on the areas of service you have mentioned.Enjoy the remainder of your summer!

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I am a frequent traveler and have stayed everywhere from the Holiday Inn to the Ritz Carlton. My sister wanted to have our family vacation here as she brings her children every year. My mother had a room here, my son and I had a room there and my sister was next door at the Riviera. We were unable to book in the same hotel during our desired dates and originally my mother and I were at the Red Jacket (owned by the same company) and then transferred to Blue Water the following Day. So I have the experience of seeing all 3. I would say the Red Jacket is the nicest of the 3 but still only 3 stars, then Blue Water then the Riviera. The 800 number we called to assist with our reservations went out of their way to help us and were extremely friendly

As in almost every review here and mine as well, the location is the main draw. Prime beach front property in a great location close to everything Cape Cod has to offer. That and the children's activities are the primary reason for staying. If you are looking for a swanky hotel room this is not it. It is very Motel 6ish.

The staff here was much friendlier than the Red Jacket. Parking can be an issue here on the weekends but I believe the Red Jacket is the only hotel that holds weddings so it not as bad. Plus there was staff in the overflow parking area. I did not see this at Red Jacket. When we transferred from Red Jacket to Blue Water the front desk associates were friendly and helpful. Our room was not available as we were there before the check in time but they gave us a parking pass and resort bracelet which allowed us to use the facilities. Which I think is great

My mother and I wanted rooms near each other. What I found odd is that they have your exact room chosen before you even check in. At most hotels your room is not assigned until you check in and can easily be changed unless they are full. They were not able to accommodate rooms near each other. We were upstairs overlooking I guess a garden area and my mother had a horrible parking lot room on the first floor. She was so disappointed as she is an infrequent leisure traveler and with the prices we paid she expected more. She complained and they gave her a first floor room overlooking the garden area. Don't expect an upgraded room because of room issues, they will only give you an equivalent room. For example in most hotels if you have a problem they will usually for the sake of customer service give you a better room.

Now onto the rooms. In the 12 years I have traveled all over the US this place had the most outdated rooms I have ever seen. They also felt I don't want to say dirty but not clean. A clunky air conditioner that is loud and just stops working and has to be restarted. Big boxy TV sets with....wait for it.....VCRs!!!! The décor is drab and dreary, not coastal or Cape Cod style. The rooms are extremely dark and depressing. There is a big gap in the door when shut so the air from outside gets in and impacts the noise factor. The room is large, I will say this and there were outlets to found to plug in your laptop. However only 1 bed faces the TV, if you are in the other bed you have no view of the TV. The sink is inside the bathroom here unlike the Red Jacket. I like this set up better. But the tub was dirty and there was this odd little window in the bathtub. The hair dryer was broken. I took plenty of photos so you can see. I have some lovely outdoor photos but had no room to upload them but other reviewers have posted similar.

Breakfast was part of our package, however at breakfast we stood there while staffers walked by us several times at the empty hostess stand. When we finally were seated the wait staff were very friendly. I thought the food was good, no buffet but order off the menu. French Toast was great. The staff is very visible here unlike the Red Jacket. They are by the pool and beach area if you need assistance. The beach is very nice but the Red Jacket had a larger and quieter section of beach. But the location is golden

Again, stay for the location not a nice room or swanky resort. Be VERY careful about booking your room and make sure to check in advance what view you have or you will be on the first floor next to the busy parking lot.

Room Tip: Your exact room is chosen at the time you book. Make sure you get an upgraded view or you will be f...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank OnTheRoadWithMe

The resort's were built in the 1970 time frame and we have added more ammenities to the properties each and every year so we can better serve our extremely loyal guests who come year after year. We certainly hope you will give us another try at any one of our seven Red Jacket Resorts both here on Cape Cod and in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.Thank you for staying and taking the time to send in your review of your experience.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed here for five days in mid July of this year. The staff was absolutely horrible, and there were a few instances that illustrate this. The last night I stayed here, I came back to my room at 6 PM after being at the beach all day and my room's door was wide open, and I was sure that I had checked and locked it, because I have had issues with this in the past and am thus very careful now as a result. Upon discovering my door ajar, I called the front desk to express my concern,and not only was the manager rude, but did not offer any assistance to speak of. Another time earlier in my stay, I asked the girl at the front desk for dinner and nightlife recommendations upon arrival, and she looked at me like I had five heads. I have stayed at a lot of hotels for either work or pleasure, and I always ask the concierge or front desk staff for recommendations. I thought that was an ordinary thing, until this trip. Yet another time during the trip, my friends and I were on our balcony and talking. We got a call from the staff who said rudely to my friend "this is your first and final warning, be quiet or leave." I was absolutely dumbfounded. While even if we were being a little loud, which I do not think we were, it was 4 P.M. I understand that the area did have children, but even if this was the case a polite call would have been greatly appreciated, especially as a paying customer and patron of the hotel.

The location of this resort was not bad, and the hotel is on the water in South Yarmouth, so that was nice at least. The rooms are very dated, but clean. The fact that the rooms needed to be updated did not bother me that much, as the point of this trip for me was to just enjoy the weather and the outdoors. This is also definitely a family resort. Before booking, I read some reviews on this site that stated when they visited this resort there was an influx of children, maybe due to a soccer tournament or something of that nature. But when I went, my friends and I were the only people who were not with minor children that I saw over the course of five days. I would not stay here if I was coming with a group of friends, or with my significant other, or for business. This hotel seems solely to accommodate families with young children. I would definitely not stay here again.

Room Tip: A lot of the balconies fact a parking lot. Make sure that yours faces the beach, or the pool/grass a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Kelly D

We are sorry we could not provide you with stay you expected and it is our utmost priority to do so. We will look at each comment you pointed out and use the information you provided to improve. Please visit again as we are committed to providing a truly memorable experience for each and every guest that stays with us.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Great location on beach in nice quiet area. Away from the main strip with its motels and mini golf. Well maintained and managed. Restaurant was surprisingly good. Rooms a bit dated but clean. Nice to have pool and pool side bar / snackbar by the ocean.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent stay and the review you posted about your experience. We look at each review and certainly pay attention to guest comments and feedback. The resort staff and management strives daily to exceed each and every guest's expectation. We certainly hope you enjoyed your stay and it would be our pleasure to have you return.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

The facilities are clean and the beach is nice but - overall - I would have expected more modern facilities. Also, for the price I paid, I was a little disappointed in the "motel-like" feeling I got.
Still, the room was clean and spacious, the parking free and abundant and I didn't spend much time at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Lisa R
John V, General Manager at Blue Water on the Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you for your recent stay with us here at Blue Water. The resort has had some recent upgrades to rooms, the lobby the dining room and grounds. We also added new interiors to 8 ocean front rooms and many of our Edge of Sea units. We will contIinue this winter with additional upgrades and renovations. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our friendly courteous staff and our white sandy private beach. We hope to see you back at one of the seven Red Jacket Resorts here on Cape Cod and in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Yarmouth
Riviera Beach Resort
Riviera Beach Resort
#9 of 21 in South Yarmouth
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa

Been to Blue Water on the Ocean? Share your experiences!