“Just an overnight stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Southborough
Rochester, NY
“Just an overnight stay”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My GF and I were on our way from western New York State to Bar Harbor, Maine and we needed an overnight spot to sleep. We didn't want to get too far from I495 so I had scoped out motels along our route. Several choices came up around the Westborough, Southborough area and the Red Roof was the cheapest. I've stayed at a Red Roof once or twice before and I assumed I knew what to expect.

As it turned out the Red Roof was within a mile of the Interstate, so that was good. Our checkin was good and speedy. Our room was on the ground floor like I had wanted and it was in the back of the motel away from the street, which was not expected but appreciated none the less.

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and all the amenities were there as well. What was unexpected was that it was a room to accommodate handicap people. Nothing to complain about really but it was awkward at times. In the bathroom there was no countertop to the sink. You had to put your toiletries on the floor or on the toilet seat. The towel rack for the bath towels was clear across the room next to the toilet and no where near the bathtub. I'm talking a distance of about twelve feet. You had better know this before getting in the shower. If your old like me and go to the bathroom frequently during the night you have to be prepared in this room when you throw the lightswitch to the bathroom on at night. The lights which are many all come on and extremely bright. My eyes never got use to the brightness and I had a devil of a time getting back to the bed.

All in all the room was good. The kingsize bed was very comfortable, the room was quiet, but oh that bathroom. We reasoned that if upon our return we ended up staying here again we would definitely ask not to be placed in a Handicap facility even if it meant staying on the second floor.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alain L
Hilary E, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Boston - Southborough/Worcester, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thankk you very much for writing about your recent stay with us. I am glad you were comfortable in our newly renovated room, with new bedding. We try to accommodate all location requests and I am glad we were able to get you on the 1st floor like you requested, it is not always easy to accommodate everyone. Our handicapped rooms are set up differently than our non ADA rooms, and therefore do have a much larger bathroom area. Next time you are in the area and need a room just let us know of your requests and we will do our very best to honor it.

We are very centrally located at the junctions of Routes 9; 90 and 495 so it makes it easy to get on/off the highway.

Thank you again we appreciate your kind words and I will be sure to share this with the entire staff.

Hilary E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed here for one night checking in around 8pm and leaving the next morning around 8am and needed a place that would take a dog. The room was okay...not the cleanest by any means and for a new renovation, there were a lot of things that were not renovated (new flooring and bed designs are a bit of lipstick on a pig compared to some of the other stuff). For example, the bathtub had seen better days and looked like "skid marks" by the drain - I brought flip flops so I just wore those for my shower - kind of like being back in college! Corners/edges had dirt/debris/bugs, there were black bug like things around the center table between the beds and on the headboard (checked the mattresses for bed bugs so ruled that out), etc. The smoke detector was hanging from the ceiling so I looked through a three inch hole in the ceiling (and wondered if I was protected!), there was a dead bug smushed on the wall just behind the tv and a banana sticker on the back of the remote control. Positively, I traveled with my own package of lyson wipes so I did wipe these items down a bit. That said, for the price, ability to keep a dog with me at no cost, etc., this no frills room was in an okay location, easy access on/off the highway and did the trick. I wouldn't recommend it for those looking for a family vacation stay, but for the on-the-go traveler, those looking for a night or two stay with a pet or for those just passing by and needing a quick place to sleep and shower, it's not bad. There was a nice spot for the dog to do her business and they did provide a pet disposal bag dispenser and trash area which was a nice touch.

Room Tip: I requested a first floor room on the back/yard side - this was very helpful especially with a pet a...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank pancan1
Hilary E, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Boston - Southborough/Worcester, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. We did just complete a full renovation that replaced all of the soft goods as well as new paint and flooring. We are working on getting the tubs refinished as that is one of the last things that needs to be done. I will check who was responsible for your cleaning your room and make sure that the issues are corrected.

Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for years and it is great and by far the best value around. They recently updated everything again and the rooms look amazing. They have hard wood floors and are completely smoke free which is a huge plus. There are also large televisions which are great.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. Gisela has been there as long as I have been staying and she is by far the best! This past stay, I had had some confusion with my redicard points and Gisela and Jenna were able to get everything straightened out for me so that I could get the 3 free nights I had earned right away. It was great as usual!!

Maria and Angelica are fabulous in laundry. The linens are always impeccably clean and all of the housekeeping staff is very good at keeping the rooms in great condition. The current manager Hilary is also great and will help with anything you need. All of the staff is very kind and will print directions for you and help you with just about anything you may need. I would highly recommend this establishment.

Room Tip: The Superior Kings are great because the rooms are very large and include a microwave and refrigerat...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review of our property. It is so nice when someone notices the small things my staff do every day to ensure our guests are comfortable and feel at home. Gisela, Maria, Jenna and Angelica have all worked here for a long time and take pride in what they do, and it is nice when that is noticed. I am very lucky to have a great staff!

thank very much I will be sure to share this with everyone.
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Seriously folks, four (4) dots as an average? The room I had was a "deluxe" double that smelled of smoke. Smoke free my a..! There were no amenities and no breakfast. I won't be staying here again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. More suitable as an hourly motel. I did not feel safe leaving anything in the room. Even with the safe.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Lewis O
Hilary E, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Boston - Southborough/Worcester, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Hello,
I first want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am very sorry that you were not happy during your stay. We are an economy hotel, therefore we do not have a lot of amenities but we do offer a great value and are very competitive in this market. We just went through a full renovation of all of our rooms and we are 100% non smoking; however there are people that do not follow the rules, if anyone does smoke in our new rooms there is a $200.00 service charge. This is very frustrating for me as well as my staff since we did just complete our renovation and our rooms are brand new. I am very sorry you were not comfortable during your stay. My staff work very hard to provide clean rooms and friendly service, and I am sorry that was not the case during your stay. Thank you again for taking the time to write about your time here, I will share your comments with my staff as we use all guest feedback as a learning opportunity and to improve our product and service.
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

The first 3 days I was there it was uneventful. The room is just "okay", but clean and a good price compared to other locations in the area. There was of course the usual annoyance of only giving us towels for 2 while there were 3 of us in the room, but otherwise okay. The 4th night I couldn't connect to Wifi. I called the front desk, and no one answered. I'm not exaggerating when I say I let it ring for several minutes, and no one ever answered. Frustrating. The 5th night I also couldn't connect to Wifi, and when I called the front desk she said she would check into it. No one ever got back to me, and I also never was able to connect to the Internet. If going online is important during your stay, this may not be the place for you.

My final night there I went to check out at about 9 pm so I wouldn't have to worry about it in the morning. I was paying 1/2 in cash, and the remainder on my debit card. I cannot stress enough to NEVER reserve your room with a debit card at this hotel, because they will put a hold on your money for 5 business days. I reserved my room with a credit card, never realizing that simply using my debit card would put a hold on $672 for days! Here is what happened. The front desk clerk charged the wrong room to my debit card! He printed out my receipt, and someone else's name was on it! He credited my account, but a hold for $272 was put on my debit card unbeknownst to me. When he got the correct room, the total was $410, and I paid $200 in cash. The remainder of $210 was to be charged to my debit card. When I looked at the credit card machine it said $410, the full amount although I had just given him $200. He assured me that his system worked that way, and he showed me on his screen where it had applied the $200 in cash. I very reluctantly swiped my card, and a hold of $410 was applied to my debit card. He had just put a hold on $672 of my cash, and I couldn't get the bank to release my money! NEVER EVER USE A DEBIT CARD HERE!!!!

The morning of our departure I had a long drive ahead of me and set the alarm for 8 am so I would get enough sleep. I was awoken at 7 am by a machine sound and a huge thud right outside my door. I jumped out of bed and ran to the window, and a small tractor was ripping up the concrete curbing and deposited it with a loud thud right under my window! I called the office to complain, and they seemed surprised and told me they weren't supposed to start re-paving the parking lot until 9 am. I'm now awake, so I decide to get ready to leave. I just step out of the shower and the kids tell me someone is pounding on the door. I throw on my bathrobe and look out to see a man in a Red Roof Inn shirt. When I open the door he barks "is this your car?", and when I say yes he demands that I move it down the hill. Now, I am NOT going to carry luggage for 3 people down the freaking hill, and I am angry. I yell back at him that they already woke me up early, and I am not going to walk my luggage down the hill. He acted so surprised that I yelled back at him, and responded "okay, okay".

That morning before leaving, I spent time on the phone with both the bank and the Red Roof Inn personnel to get these holds removed from my debit account so I would have cash for the rest of my trip. It didn't work. The holds were put on my account on Sunday night, and only after the manager Hilary faxed the bank twice did they finally get removed on Wednesday, after I had already made it back home. The manager was very nice and understanding, but some of the front desk staff don't appear very competent based on my dealings with them. The manager was very concerned that I had a bad experience, and did compensate me by crediting me for my trouble. However, the incompetence of one employee really put a damper on my trip.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ercokat
Hilary E, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Boston - Southborough/Worcester, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. I know about your troubles as we have talked and I thought we had resolved the issue within 24hrs of this. I know that using a Debit Card at any hotel can be troublesome, as the authorization will be held up by your bank. Once we release the charges the hold is released on our end, however depending on your bank it can take up to 7 business days for the money to be released. It is not Red Roof and we do not have any control over how long th bank holds it as each bank is different. We never hold money once the account is paid. As I stated we did talk about this and I am very sorry about the trouble, I understand how stressfull it can be when on vacation and your funds are not available. I am very sorry about this, please contact me again if there is anything else I can do for you.

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This was the first night of a trip through the Eastern United States arriving in Nova Scotia, Canada. I have had friends stay in Red Roof Inns before and complimented on the hotel. I had travelled almost 800 kms that day and was greeted warmly by the front desk. The hotel was clean, comfy beds, good night sleep. The staff was very friendly; the housekeeping staff greeted us as we were leaving and asked if we enjoyed our stay. I was very impressed at her friendliness. As well, there was some maintenance being done in the hotel and they were friendly as well. It is obvious this is the level of service expected by all.
I would definetly stay at a Red Roof again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dovrgrl
Thank you very much for writing about your experience at our property. Our staff always try to put the guest first and make sure that you are comfortable and have everything you need while with us. I am very lucky to have such a wonderful staff and it is nice when it is recognized. I will be sure to pass this on to everyone here, as they work so hard, getting positive feedback is great!

Sequim, Washington
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My only serious complaint about this place is that there are hundreds of flies or moths going through and infesting many of the rooms. They usually drown in the bathtub, but otherwise, you have to play tennis with them, swatting them around the room. Nothing is off limits; they go for the dogs, the clothes, the beds, our bodies; it's crazy. Like I said, everything else is pretty good, but this is just crazy.. ~ Sidenote - there is no pool or fitness center, and the cleanliness isn't a fault of the maids (they're great), but the flies... Oh, the flies..

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CLBowden
Hilary E, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Boston - Southborough/Worcester, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw of our property. I am so very sorry that you had an issue with bugs. I have not heard this from others that have stayed and I am sorry that you had this problem. I would be interested in speaking with you more about your stay and what room you were in. Because we are an exterior corridor property, there is more of a risk of bugs getting in when you open the door. I can assure you that if we had known about your trouble during your stay we would have moved your room and taken care of it right away. Again I am very sorry and would like to speak with you in more detail. Please contact me at the hotel.

Hilary Easter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southborough
Red Roof Inn Boston Framingham
Westborough Inn
Westborough Inn
#3 of 9 in Westborough
Doubletree Hotel Boston/Westborough
Extended Stay America - Boston - Westborough - Computer Dr.
Hampton Inn Boston - Westborough
Sheraton Framingham Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Red Roof Inn Boston - Southborough/Worcester? Share your experiences!