“Superb”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southbridge
Vienna Historic Inn and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Southbridge B&B and Inns
Boston
“Superb”
Reviewed 20 August 2007

I stayed at the Vienna in November '06 for my then girlfriend's birthday and we knew we had to come back again soon -- wonderful hospitality and superb German/New England food with a dinner menu of entree variety you don't see often these days. We then came back again in April '07 at which time I proposed to my girlfriend at breakfast. I set up everything with Jon and Lisa beforehand and they were superb in their handling of the "event" from beginning to end -- the special breakfast and champagne to follow were a fantastic touch. Whether for a special event or simple overnight stay on the way to/from somewhere along I-84 or I-90, I can not recommend Vienna enough.

• Liked — Spaciousness of room (stayed in Konigzimmer twice); service and attentiveness
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank deservingirving

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New Jersey
Reviewed 24 July 2007

With my being 9 months pregnant , there was no way we could stay another night at the Vienna House. We had booked 3 nights and left early after the first night. We are now out $600.00. The room was noisy, (from the street and air conditioner) cramped and very dim. Not to mention, the beds was EXTREMELY uncomfortable. Their brochure states that the room would be bright and quiet. This is false advertising. It states that it caters to those discerning tastes and individuals who know how to treat themselves well. Obviously, this is a joke. When we first walked in the Vienna House smelt like natural gas. The joke was made that she was trying to burn the place down and she would take care of the problem. The fire alarm going off in the middle of the night was not a treat either. Especially when no one came to our room to tell us it was nothing to be alarmed about. Service was poor and lacking. Our air conditioner sounded like a tractor! I was tired wanted privacy and peace and quiet with a good nights sleep.
Our stay was most unsatisfactory and I hoped they would not accept payment for the unused portion of our stay for such unacceptable service and accommodations (especially for a pregnant women). What makes me more aggravated is that we had to spend extra money on other accommodations, which were FAR SUPERIOR!!! There was no contest. The rooms were clean, neat, bright, large and QUIET. Everything that they said it would be. Even the included breakfast was wonderful. I slept well and did not feel like a cripple the next morning.
Do yourselves a favor and stay at the Publick House.

I am extremely upset and unhappy that they refused to refund the days we did not stay. Clearly there is no concern for customer satisfaction on their part. I wanted to write and feel you would be doing others a service by NOT recommending them.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Service, cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
42 Thank mnatius
Boston, MA
Reviewed 30 May 2007

We stayed in this Inn last July so this is a late review, but the experience has really stuck with me. First, the positive....The rooms (I stayed in the Koenigzimmer suite) at The Vienna Inn are beautifully decorated, spacious and comfortable. Privacy was an issue, there was a French door in the parlor of our suite that has a sheer curtain looking out on a dining alcove of the restaurant and there are also no locks on the doors...so one evening there were people dining right outside our door and we could literally hear and see everything, and more concerning...they us.
The service a the Inn is just not streamlined...there was frequently no one available to answer questions and the hors’doerves between 4-6PM were nowhere to be found...I was sitting on the front porch at the time reading. I understand that this Inn is still in its first few years and believe that with the right polishing could provide a great experience. Although I do believe some of the reviews on Trip advisor citing great service, I also believe it to be sporadic.
THE RESTAURANT:
I was enormously disappointed with the dinner we had at the inn. Again, atmosphere was great, service was very good, the food was just abysmal. Being from a family of chefs and having lived in different cities in Europe for many years I've dined in a broad range of European restaurants...from rustic home style to the most upscale and I was really looking forward to a great meal. The "European style" salad and cheese plate that accompanies the meals was no more than a small tossed salad with strange dressing (curry vinagrette??) and pub style cheese and crackers. We had appetizers and main courses....appetizers were just plain strange...."wild mushrooms sauteed with madeira and shallots" was actually a plate covered in a thick cream sauce with very little mushroom. Sauces on everything else were bizarre. They seem to rely VERY heavily on stewed red cabbage and braised dishes. We were there on a very hot day in July and I wanted something light so I opted for Trout sauteed in butter and toasted almonds...I asked what accompanied it explaining that I did not want a stewed cabbage side dish and was told it comes with mixed vegetable and a potato. It came with what looked and tasted like hot pickled cabbage and a mixture of boiled carrots and potatoes that looked like they were strained from a soup. I sent the trout back because it was so overcooled that it was hard and covered with that white film that appears when you microwave meat or fish and instead of almonds a lime that was browned along the edges was sliced and served atop the fish. I overheard the Innkeeper telling the waiter that that's how the fish is "supposed to be". Had I been the Innkeeper I would have gasped in horror at the state of the food my chef was turning out. My husband had a very expensive steak that was overcooked. THE FOOD IS JUST PLAIN BAD....The food weirdness continued into the next morning when we came downstairs to a deserted dining room, rang a bell and a frazzled Innkeeper ran down the stairs and seated us for breakfast (I think we had woken him)....we were served a Rhubarb filled crepe, with a piece of steak. Were good tasting, we'd have been happy, but both were bland and unappetizing, and frankly a disgusting combination. Restaurant needs some real help. We were hoping for a great experience as we wanted to find a nice place to stay and eat during our yearly trips to Brimfield….we will not be returning here for either food or lodging.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Coco422
somewhere ma
Reviewed 19 June 2006

My DH and I are from the area so we are fortunate enough to get to visit the Vienna often. We never tire of the hospitality Jonathan and Lisa share with us. The food is delicious and the service is exceptional. If you are in the area and need a place to stay this place should be your choice. The rooms are clean, comfortable and inviting.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank lovedisney31
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 April 2006

We had such a great time at the inn. Our dinner was great. Our waiter was wonderful and the Inn's owners are terrific. They take such great pride in their Inn and its very cute. The owners wife is so personable and took us for a tour of the rooms at the inn and all had a very at home comfortable feel to them. She makes the best cosmo's as well!

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 March 2006

We stayed at the Vienna recently for two nights and endjoyed the cozy atmosphere and fantastic food. The bedroom suites are warm and inviting. The downstairs restaurant has mutiple fireplaces which create a romantic old-world environment. The food is fabulous and the portions are just right. We loved it and would stay there again any time!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
gardener1Sturbridge, Owner at Vienna Historic Inn and Restaurant, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
We would like to thank you for this review! It is from quite a while ago but we appreciate that you took the time to share your kind words. We have come a LONG way since your stay with us! We love making our guests feel at home.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southbridge
Southbridge Hotel And Conference Center
#6 of 14 in Sturbridge
Hampton Inn Sturbridge
Hampton Inn Sturbridge
#3 of 14 in Sturbridge

Been to Vienna Historic Inn and Restaurant? Share your experiences!